Gibson Brands Forums

finish repair photo added

blindboygrunt

I have a little 'score' on the top of my guitar. No idea how it got there. I don't mind pick marks or wear and tear. But this is kinda like someone has scratched it with a pin head .

Any thing that would take it away ? At least blend it in a little ?

The general rule in finish repair is:

A professional can make it look better, maybe even make it disappear; pretty much anything an amateur tries will make it look worse.

Good luck!

-- Bob R

A professional can make it look better, maybe even make it disappear; pretty much anything an amateur tries will make it look worse.

A truer statement has never been spoken!

Good luck!

-- Bob R

Yesssir. Also, a pro prolly wouldn't charge a lot if it's a real bother to you. Wait to weeks; if still annoyed by it, seek professional help.

Not sure the level of factory finish you expect. But, Meguires auto polish - scratch repair #2 might take it out. Gibson polish is said to include nitro filler that will smooth over small abrasions. I would try these before going to a guitar tech, unless you have one on retainer.

Here's a picture of a top crack in a J-45 TV. I'd post an "after" picture - but to tell you the truth the luthier in Boulder did such a good job blending the finish, I can't even find it anymore. Yep - they call 'em pros for a reason.

J45Crack-1.jpg

Professionals are so good at fixing this that it doesn't make sense to try it yourself. I've gotten hundred of dollars off the prices of several guitars for scratches, and my luthier has fixed them for next to nothing, if I bring that guitar in with another that needs just a bit of work. Sometimes it's just a minor touch with polishing compound, but the touch is critical on a thin nitro finish.

Also got one guitar marked down substantially because the seller (a dealer) mistook the VOS finish for wear. A little Virtuoso cleaner on my part, and it looked almost like a new gloss finish, which I prefer to VOS.

Thanks for posting that. A narrow-width scratch like the one shown here should be able to be reduced greatly, maybe to the point of "you have to really look for it". Always easier when in the dark area of the sunburst.

What guitar is that? The 'burst does look small, and fairly repairable. Good luck. Awaiting the "after" photo.

image-1.jpg

Same guitar. A j45. The photo ,because of the light I took it in to emphasise the scratch , doesn't show the burst hardly at all. But that's it above.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Its not the end of the world to me to get marks on a guitar. But its more the unnatural shape of it that irks me. I have no clue how it got there .

That sucks BBG. Who would you take it to here? Does Dennis do that sort of thing, or the boys at Lowden?

There's Dennis. A guy called Ernie Mcmillen in Bangor who I hear good things about.

I might just get a black marker pen and do it myself . or some touch up paint from motor craft .

;)

Personally I'd save yourself a few quid and get some T-Cut from Halfords [wink]

T-Cut Color Fast Scratch Remover (patent pending formula) removes scratches, scuffs, blemishes, and adds colour in one easy application. T-Cut is enhanced by nanotechnology, making it easier to remove light scratches and mask, deeper scratches. The coloured pigments blend in with all shades of paintwork, cleaning and removing oxidation, creating a flawless colour-matched finish.

Available in Original, Black, White, Silver, Red, Blue and Green.

with words like patent pending formula and nanotechnology how could you possibly go wrong?! :-k

Archived