Gibson Brands Forums

Linda Ronstadt is silenced...diagnosed with Parkinson's

BigKahune

Just saw that, too. I'd heard vague references to her "health issues" in recent years, but this is hard news for anyone who, like me, hoped to hear her perform again.

Long ago, I saw her and Emmylou when they were on their Western Wall tour. Hearing her voice--those voices together--live in a small venue was...joy. In addition to the album material, they sang Kate McGarrigle's 'Talk to Me of Mendocino.'

There's no way a recording could've captured what I heard that night, and so...I did still hope.

Sad story. Hated hearing this news last night. She has one of those "Orbison" kind of voices. Or maybe he had a "Ronstadt" kind of voice.... As you grow older you tend to appreciate some things in different ways. When I was a young man, she was the hottest thing in the world to me, and she happened to have a great voice. As I've grown older, I've come to recognize her voice as something that had to have come from heaven................Saw her in 72-73 when she headlined a Rock & Roll Concert in Kansas City, Arrowhead Stadium. She wore a very short red dress with black polka dots. Very short. I will never forget her in that dress. Put this story and the stories of her and her short dresses on Johnny Cash's show together and you'll understand..... I'd been home from Vietnam for over two years and I thought I'd seen everything, but until then I'd never seen Linda Ronstadt up close. She was the entire package. Nothing compares to her on that day. She came back through again with The Eagles around 78-79, but I missed her then. Maybe it's best, because there's no way she could have been better looking or sounding than the first time I saw her....I'm terribly sorry to hear she is ill. I hope there's some way they can truly help her. Even if she doesn't sing professionally again, I hope she has many good years left with us.

That is very sad news.

A guitar teacher I went to for a while many years ago had Parkinson's, but with medication he was able to keep teaching. I didn't know you couldn't sing anymore.

It goes to show that old line of doing those things you want to do today.

Her version of Blue Bayou was the voice of angels and does a little 'replay' in my head if anyone mentions the word 'Bayou"

BluesKIng777.

I saw her twice in the early 70's. Once at East Carolina University and then in Greensboro. Her records did not do her justice. Her voice in concert was simply amazing and very very powerful. I will miss her singing. I hope she does well.

I saw Linda with a backup band consisting of future members of the Eagles, in the spring of '71, playing in my college cafeteria. I loved her then, but like the previous poster, I have come to appreciate her even more over the years. Incredible vocals along with a very adventurous musical spirit...

Archived