Gibson Brands Forums

Interesting new SG.. The Kirk Douglas SG

Rabs

I've just started a thread about this. I hadn't seen this one. I'm thinking of having one.

There are only going to be 194 "units" world wide, apparently.

At least, that's what my dealer told me, after they ordered one,

for me. (They didn't know that, until they placed my order, with

Gibson.)

So, IF you're really interested, best not wait TOO long. [thumbup]

CB

The first time I saw the Captain was on the 2012 Rock Hall Of Fame music awards in 2012, the same one I think that had Guns & Roses on minus Axle.

Captain was playing a gold Les Paul, and the drummer had a huge afro that had some serious drumming action going on.

Just found the video.

I thought first that the folks at Gibson had really lost it and put out a guitar to honor Kirk Douglas the actor,after all they released a Kiefer Sutherland SG a few years ago and he is hardly known as a top notch shredder.Anyway I love everything about the guitar except for the finish,the nitro-cellulose finish appears to be solid whereas I think it would look much nicer if it was transparent like the classic cherry finish on the 60s SGs.With the 57s and the coil split though,it should be a real killer capable of anything from silky smooth jazz licks to full on,raunchy,hard-rock.I'd love to own one,even if the finish doesn't turn my crank.

Hey, BB...check out the "spec's" on this guitar, at the Gibson site,

you'll see it IS a "transparent," Cherry finish. You can clearly

see grain streaks. [thumbup] And, if you go back to the main page,

for that guitar, you'll see Kirk holding one, that clearly has grain

patterns, showing.[biggrin]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/Kirk-Douglas-SG/Specs.aspx

CB

I know I should love this, and I love SG's.....but it's just not doing it for me, only in an aesthetic way though. In reality it probably roars like a beast, especially with that trio of 57's. [thumbup]

Steve-o!

Did you check-out the video of Kirk demoing it? That thing is one versatile SG! I've always wanted an SG with a "Maestro"-style SG… and the three pickups fascinate me. These two things sold me on it—not to mention the looks.

But yeah, there's no rule that says all SG lovers have to love every model. There are some SG's I am not all that crazy about, myself.

Steve-o!

Did you check-out the video of Kirk demoing it? That thing is one versatile SG! I've always wanted an SG with a "Maestro"-style SG… and the three pickups fascinate me. These two things sold me on it—not to mention the looks.

But yeah, there's no rule that says all SG lovers have to love every model. There are some SG's I am not all that crazy about, myself.

James, I like it a lot better than I did, would just have to change the pick guard maybe. Still it's not an option, as I'll pass on this one.

I thought first that the folks at Gibson had really lost it and put out a guitar to honor Kirk Douglas the actor,after all they released a Kiefer Sutherland SG a few years ago and he is hardly known as a top notch shredder.Anyway I love everything about the guitar except for the finish,the nitro-cellulose finish appears to be solid whereas I think it would look much nicer if it was transparent like the classic cherry finish on the 60s SGs.With the 57s and the coil split though,it should be a real killer capable of anything from silky smooth jazz licks to full on,raunchy,hard-rock.I'd love to own one,even if the finish doesn't turn my crank.

Yeah if you look at the Specs page you get different angles. It is a deep colour though..

SGKDVCLG1-Close-Halfcut-Top_zps32f58b8c.jpg

Archived