Gibson Brands Forums

NGD / Epiphone DOT in Natural.....sweet axe!

shakey64

Purchased this about 3 weeks ago of an ebay dealer that buys/sells refurbs. Ive always been kind of leery of those stamped "used" on headstock. THis was my first. It was a good deal, to sweet to pass up, with a case and free shipping. Seller stated it had complete set up, .09 gauge strings, low action, frets leveled and polished, Truss rod checked and adjusted. No repairs done. Only flaw, was on the back of the guitar, a small finish flaw, (like anyone would see) Arrived at my door two days later.

Now, I previously owned a Epi Dot that I bought new around 2005 or so. Cherry Red with case, rang me up around $500. Loved the color, but I didn't really bond with it, because the neck seemed huge, like a baseball bat, so it went to ebay.

Now 8 or 9 years later, I tried my luck on another DOT. I kind of really wanted Cherry, but this deal seemed sweet. $330 (case and free shipping). I warmed up to the natural color. The neck doesn't seem as huge...or my hands grew? But feels a tad thinner. But, what really impressed me...is the Pickups! What did epiphone do?? Upgrade? These puppies just RING OUT!..and im talking in the CLEAN mode. Just chime. I don't remember this. When I add some gain..forget it. Sustain for days..Nice beefy and chunky riffs come out of this axe.

When I first got it..I thought ..eh..I might sell it and get a Cherry..but I don't want to risk losing a great player..for something that might not quite be as sweet.

post-47792-057731300 1379272169_thumb.jpg

ive had one for years natural finish . one of my favorite guitars. neck is thinner than the usual epi neck. its a mahogany neck one. what i like most is that thinner neck vs the thicker one on most epis. i removed the pick guard and plastic bezels and put on chrome plated metal bezels and added a trapeze tailpiece. ya just got to love a nice dot.

The neck is darker..so definitely Mahogany. Fits perfect in my hand..and I don't have that big of hands. Spent about an hour yesterday in the garage...and took it out of its case..still in tune..and stayed in tune the whole hour of bending and everything...so thumbs up on the tuners. Played it acoustically in bed...! and haven't done that in a long time!...never really worked with my Flying V, Strat or SG. This baby sings out.

post-47792-084554500 1379336416_thumb.jpg

I bought one a few years ago which was a Korean made version. It was my first guitar and one or two players I knew thought it was a "challenging" instrument for a novice to buy, and as has been said already, the neck felt huge. But then I had nothing to compare it with.I've since added a Taylor Big Baby to my huge collection* and that just emphasises the size of the Epi. I mostly play the acoustic or practice on the Epi without being plugged in so I still don't really know my way round it. But, I only need to open the case and gaze at it to remind me why I fell in love with it in the first place. Even if I never get any better, and I'm pretty crap now, I can always hang it on the wall and gaze at it.

* Please note, the reference to "huge collection" may not be entirely accurate.

I'd definitely second ongoing improvement on the Dot electronics. I'd say that unless something odd happened in transit, it's likely to be a pro-worthy player from day one.

With one caveat. I like the promise of a "pro setup" and all, but I'm still convinced that between transit and different personal preferences with "your" string choice, it ain't gonna be quite as "pro" as if the same setup guy could do it with you sitting there...

OTOH, those of us away from guitar stores with a pro... it ain't so easy to have the ideal.

m

Sweet looking Dot, and congrats. I've got an '07 Qingdao Natural Dot, that I bought in 1/08. Played it for several months then did a total p/u (Seymour's) wiring, switches, etc. upgrade. Then black knobs. Then the B700, and still I'm into this for less than half a comparable Gibby. The addition of the Bigsby has just made my Dot that much more appealing. I'm using 10 - 46's, and pushing through a tube amp and am a very happy camper.

Again, congrats to you on a great guitar. Epi's just keep getting better and better.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a '97 that looks just like yours, except someone's messed with it. Would you mind answering a few questions for me?

When a PO added a Bigsby B7, I suspect s/he also added a bridge and nut that are both too narrow.

1. What's the string spacing at the nut?

2. What's the string spacing at the bridge?

I'm missing the knob for the pickup selector switch, and all the knobs available are too large.

3. What size thread is the shaft of the 3-way pickup selector switch? Mine's M3x0.5, smaller than anything I can find on the web.

Any help appreciated.

Purchased this about 3 weeks ago of an ebay dealer that buys/sells refurbs. Ive always been kind of leery of those stamped "used" on headstock. THis was my first. It was a good deal, to sweet to pass up, with a case and free shipping. Seller stated it had complete set up, .09 gauge strings, low action, frets leveled and polished, Truss rod checked and adjusted. No repairs done. Only flaw, was on the back of the guitar, a small finish flaw, (like anyone would see) Arrived at my door two days later.

Now, I previously owned a Epi Dot that I bought new around 2005 or so. Cherry Red with case, rang me up around $500. Loved the color, but I didn't really bond with it, because the neck seemed huge, like a baseball bat, so it went to ebay.

Now 8 or 9 years later, I tried my luck on another DOT. I kind of really wanted Cherry, but this deal seemed sweet. $330 (case and free shipping). I warmed up to the natural color. The neck doesn't seem as huge...or my hands grew? But feels a tad thinner. But, what really impressed me...is the Pickups! What did epiphone do?? Upgrade? These puppies just RING OUT!..and im talking in the CLEAN mode. Just chime. I don't remember this. When I add some gain..forget it. Sustain for days..Nice beefy and chunky riffs come out of this axe.

When I first got it..I thought ..eh..I might sell it and get a Cherry..but I don't want to risk losing a great player..for something that might not quite be as sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice score! I originally wanted a Dot in Natural, but I got such a good deal on my '09 Cherry one, I couldn't pass it up. I agree with how well it hangs in there, even acoustically. Mine has the most resonant neck I've ever felt.

Archived