Gibson Brands Forums

J-200, are they all the same?

Sitedrifter

Beyond the fancy addons like MOP and pickguards, are all J200s the same if using the same tone woods in regards to bracing, neck shape, tone, etc?

I am trying to figure out why a J-200 Standard is $1k more then a J-200 Studio? If it is just fancy appointments but the build is the same, I am, not sure I would need to opt for a more expensive J200.

Thanks for any info you can give on this question.

Mark

Yes, most of the price difference comes with the labor/cost to work in the additional binding and inlays. Also, I think the back and side wood is a grade lower - At one time Gibson specified AAA Sitka and AAA Maple on the "Standard", while the current info on the Studio lists AA Sitka and "plain maple", the Studio maple is flamed and most likely AA grade - check the pics below. Other than that, AFAIK, it's the same guitar - bracing, wood species and measurements.

Studio - AA sitka, AA maple (STD has AAA sitka and AAA maple), no neck or headstock binding (STD is bound), the neck is three piece and two stripes (STD is two piece an one stripe), fretboard ends in a flat cut (STD has a beak), no MOP ribbon inlays on the bridge (STD has 2 MOP ribbon inlays on the bridge), plain tortoise pickguard (STD has the floral design).

Here's the back photo of a Studio -

1600-SJ5SANNH_detail5.jpg

And a back photo of my "Standard" aka Modern Classic -

08GibsonSJ200b-md.jpg

Thanks for the info!!

Mark

Yes, most of the price difference comes with the labor/cost to work in the additional binding and inlays. Also, I think the back and side wood is a grade lower - At one time Gibson specified AAA Sitka and AAA Maple on the "Standard", while the current info on the Studio lists AA Sitka and "plain maple", the Studio maple is flamed and most likely AA grade - check the pics below. Other than that, AFAIK, it's the same guitar - bracing, wood species and measurements.

Studio - AA sitka, AA maple (STD has AAA sitka and AAA maple), no neck or headstock binding (STD is bound), the neck is three piece and two stripes (STD is two piece an one stripe), fretboard ends in a flat cut (STD has a beak), no MOP ribbon inlays on the bridge (STD has 2 MOP ribbon inlays on the bridge), plain tortoise pickguard (STD has the floral design).

08GibsonSJ200b-md.jpg

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I bought a Standard over a Studio, -I was after a 'big Pete Townsend tone, and sound' -and was advised to get the Standard, I'm glad I took that advice! Never regretted spending the extra money.

Look into also getting a used J-150 from early 2000's which is meant to be like a studio, but but back then you got a lot more bang for your buck, including Tulip tuners, flower pickguard and check out the flame on mine .... oh, and they go for about $1500..

KGrHqVicE4uULLJ9BOUYDD7EQ_12.jpg

KGrHqYOKo8E4iY7HLkvBOUYDCYghQ_12.jpg

Look into also getting a used J-150 from early 2000's which is meant to be like a studio, but but back then you got a lot more bang for your buck, including Tulip tuners, flower pickguard and check out the flame on mine .... oh, and they go for about $1500..

KGrHqVicE4uULLJ9BOUYDD7EQ_12.jpg

KGrHqYOKo8E4iY7HLkvBOUYDCYghQ_12.jpg

I agree. The one that I owned was a great example.

My favorite SJ-200's are the ones with quilted maple back/sides. They have a warmer tone but still maintains the power and clarity.

I do not think any guitar in the Gibson catalog had gone through more changes in its life than the J-200. My favorites remain those made between 1955 and 1960 with the laminate maple body and second wide angle X brace above the soundhole. This really set it apart from the J-100. While Gibson did not seem to give much of a hoot about flame or quilting, my take on it is that the way those guitars were designed brought a part of the top that did not figure a whole lot into making sound into play.

A mid-60s SJ-200 was my only acoustic guitar for 25 years, but the best-sounding SJs I've ever played were all mahogany SJ-100s. And, IMO, it's not a subtle difference. Play a few before you lay your money down.

P

+1 on the mahogany J-100s, I have a really nice 94 model, that has seen off competition from two very nice J-200s so far (2010 standard & 94 "Special"), although to be fair I could have quite easily kept those too. There is just something about that mahogany warmth.

The J-200 studio model reminds me very much of the 99-2005 Maple J-100 XT model, plus pickup, and has recieved many positive magazine reviews.

Steve.

My dealer emailed me and said he has this in stock

1941 J100 reissue

Looks nice and has mahogany back and sides but not sure it is what I really want which is the SJ200.

I do like the SJ200 pickguard

I do like the the MOP fretboard inlays

I do like the mustache bridge.

Guess it will be a J200 but which one..LOL

My dealer emailed me and said he has this in stock

1941 J100 reissue

Looks nice and has mahogany back and sides but not sure it is what I really want which is the SJ200.

I do like the SJ200 pickguard

I do like the the MOP fretboard inlays

I do like the mustache bridge.

Guess it will be a J200 but which one..LOL

depends on your budget

JC

Budget is up to 4k selling price. I think I should be able to get a J200 for a few hundred less than MAP if the vendor is willing.

Ok if your limit is 4k you might want to contact the people at wildwood guitars

they have that rosewood prewar classic that you loved offered at $3,9999

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/11933035.php?CategoryID=451&n=49

and they have this very nice sounding maple J 200 standard offered at $3,799 :

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/sj-200_standard.php?CategoryID=451&n=44

I posted links to each guitar and the demos available for each particular guitar ... I'm sure they couldn't knock a little bit more off the western classic if you make a serious propostion ... I know more than a few folks here have delt with Wildwood and they have great service .

JC

08GibsonSJ200b-md.jpg

Thats"wow" good lookin

Archived