Gibson Brands Forums

Battle of the Jumbos...

onewilyfool

Battle is probabably not the right term as it was a bit of a massacre, overall the J-200 outshone the Taylor many times over. The J-200 really shows why its such a great, sweet strummer.

But in the interest of constructive feedback it was probably a bit unfair to the Taylor to play the first two iconic tracks that were specifically written on J-200's and that would be the tone almost anybody would associate with those tracks.

But, I would say the Taylor held up and even shone on the third track when fingerpicked, the only time I heard some character out of the three samples in regard to the Taylor.

Battle is probabably not the right term as it was a bit of a massacre, overall the J-200 outshone the Taylor many times over. The J-200 really shows why its such a great, sweet strummer.

But in the interest of constructive feedback it was probably a bit unfair to the Taylor to play the first two iconic tracks that were specifically written on J-200's and that would be the tone almost anybody would associate with those tracks.

But, I would say the Taylor held up and even shone on the third track when fingerpicked, the only time I heard some character out of the three samples in regard to the Taylor.

Agreed

but..it goes to show how even a small change of playing position in regards to the mic..( mic position really )..can have a huge effect on recorded outcome

watch the vid..and the playing position changes significantly on those finger picked examples . !

Guest J-Doug

Waiting for the inevitable "look what those Gibson fools are saying about Taylors!" AGF thread. I don't think this is going to help international relations. ;)

This is NOT a Taylor bashing.....but indicates why I don't own one. The richness of tone from the Gibson, the fuller sound, the looks...etc., is just very apparent, at least to me...I thought about running this pole on the AGF, but decided not to waste my time, this was just for fun on our forum...

The J200 had a far-deeper tone and bass to it. The Taylor is an excellent guitar, but matching it against the iconic J200 is a bit unfair to Taylor. I do think the Taylor sounded a little tinny/brittle in a couple places. The Gibson was steady all the way through with real strong mid-range tone. Always seemed to resonate.

This is NOT a Taylor bashing.....but indicates why I don't own one. The richness of tone from the Gibson, the fuller sound, the looks...etc., is just very apparent, at least to me...I thought about running this pole on the AGF, but decided not to waste my time, this was just for fun on our forum...

Go on Wiley, I dare you to ... [thumbup]

Both of these guitars were equal. The parts where the Gibson sounded better was because of mic placement. The mic for the Gibson was closer for the begining part. The mic for the Taylor was farthur away from the guitar for the beginning part. The Gibson sounded better during the strumming part. The parts were both guitars are equal the mic placement is the same. Watch the guys leg at the mic. That being said I would buy the Gibson J-200. One day I will have my Blonde J-200.

Both of these guitars were equal. The parts where the Gibson sounded better was because of mic placement. The mic for the Gibson was closer for the begining part. The mic for the Taylor was farthur away from the guitar for the beginning part. The Gibson sounded better during the strumming part. The parts were both guitars are equal the mic placement is the same. Watch the guys leg at the mic. That being said I would buy the Gibson J-200. One day I will have my Blonde J-200.

My bandmate has a Taylor 6 string which IMO always excels in clear articulation of notes

It also adapts well to many different house PA rigs

Yes probably a favourite for F/S...(their set-ups tend to work well so)

Gibson acoustics are rightly revered for classic big sounds on many iconic recordings/performances

IMO Taylors are great, well built guitars with a big following amongst folk etc pickers... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Archived