Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar in my arsenal!

larryp58

I do expect to receive a lot of grief on this! I just acquired a new HD-28 Martin. Yes, I'm a Gibson man to the bone but admittedly this is one fine guitar! Nothing fancy about it, rosewood back and sides, Sitka spruce top, ebony fretboard and bridge. Balanced, bright tone, outstanding projection. Plays extremely well. Anybody else have one these? Okay, ya'll can string me up now!!! But this is a nice instrument.

I owned an HD28P from new in 1991 until last year. I found the low profile neck hard to deal with as I got older. I sold it when I bought my AJ. Loved the way it sounded and I missed it so I bought a D28 Marquis, which has a chunkier neck, I like it. I have three Martins and three Gibsons. They are all great and all different. When it came time to pick one to install electronics for playing in the band it was a tough choice, but I picked the AJ.

Congratulations on your new HD28.

The D-28 is a splendid guitar indeed.

I would go for one if I hadn't the old D-35.

Compared to that squire it seemed right to move one step further - and go for a HD-28V. And that V makes a difference.

Look forward to hear yours.

Hep

I think every acoustic player should own a Martin and a Gibson. Best of both worlds. Congrats!!!!

If there's room for 2 or 3 then +

When I'm a bit tired of Gibson I enjoy Martin with a certain extra joy.

Only to return to the G's with even higher flame

I'm usually not the biggest bluegrass fast-picking whatever fan on the planet, but check this guy.

What a cool choice of notes - and guitar.

This is a S. Stills signature without the typical hexagram fretborad inlays of the 45, but with a star-sign on the guard.

Presumably the Southern Cross.

But you had one of those - if my memory serves me well. . .

I think Dan missed the reference, despite his mention of the fourth member of the quartet in his reply. Your once listed CSN, Dan... Not your recently sold Y.

I think Dan missed the reference, despite his mention of the fourth member of the quartet in his reply. Your once listed CSN, Dan... Not your recently sold Y.

The CSN went early this summer to fund the 18A. No regrets, great guitar but I rarely played it.

Aha - but wasn't that one basically a HD-28 too. Which means scalloped, but with normal bracing-pattern (nor forward or rear shifted).

I had understood it was more of a decked out 41. 1 3/4 neck. Can't speak to the bracing.

I read you - will look into the 41.

Have checked Stills' and Crosby's individual sig.-models earlier on - both forward shifted like the HD-28V, , ,

, , , and f.x. Mark Knophlers (which I played to get my mind blown around the millennium).

Archived