Gibson Brands Forums

harmonica choices

blindboygrunt

Sorry to put a harp question on a guitar forum , but some of you guys talk a bit of sense.

I have a set of cheapo Chinese made harmonicas that a bought a year or so ago and for £25 for the 8 keys and a little case they were value for money . I am noticing that they're a bit of hard work especially in the higher end , a bit sqeaky for hard drawing notes.

I'm not looking to be Larry Adler , just something to break up a song .

Anyone else use a neck rack for accompanying harp have any particular brands I should go for , or indeed avoid.

Basically is it worth buying Lee oskars or equivalent as opposed to the 10 pound hohners or equivalent.

Thanks for any pointers folks

Hi,

I use a harp with neck rack once in a while.

I used hohner blues harps like this

http://www.thomann.de/de/hohner_blues_harp_ms_d.htm

until a friend (who can really play those things) recommended the lee oskar harps like this

http://www.thomann.de/de/lee_oskar_cdur_major_diatonic_797003.htm

My hohner harps got broken pretty soon, I guess my playing style is a little wet. The lee oskar harps I use never broke to this day and the plastic feels better than the rough wood edges on the hohner.

I don't know what hohner model you are referring to, but i disregard the 2 € price difference on the models posted above, cause the lee oskars seem to sound better, play smoother and last longer in my limited experience.

The Lee Oskar harmonica holder is the best I've found yet. It has such a death grip on the harp, it's difficult to load until you've done it a few times. And a tight grip, such as it has, is essential for bending notes. You don't want the harmonica coming loose while you're playing. Worth it.

The Lee Oskar harmonica holder is the best I've found yet. It has such a death grip on the harp, it's difficult to load until you've done it a few times. And a tight grip, such as it has, is essential for bending notes. You don't want the harmonica coming loose while you're playing. Worth it.

I've already got past the crappy holder stage. I had one that wouldn't hold it at all. I now have a hohner (I think) . the one that bends into the size of the harp ... Poor description.

Thanks fellas.

I'm a big fan of Hohner's Blues Harp because they feel solid and sound great. The comb is not as absorbent as the Marine Band so it resists warping better. If I was a touring musician I'd probably be playing Special 20s since they sound great and seal well. The plastic comb won't warp but I don't like the feel of it.

My absolute favorite harps are the prewar Marine Bands. Yes, it's a bit of a gimmick but I have a little collection of about 20 that I am quite fond of. I guess I just like old world craftsmanship.

I use a harmonica holder and Hohner harps. I've got two sets of harmonicas and several strays(mostly in the keys of C and A). None of my harmonicas are real expensive or anywhere near the best, but I find that if I alternate their use every several weeeks they tend to last much longer. When one set is starting to give me trouble, I switch to the other set for a while and they sound good. I've never taken a harmonica apart to clean it. I just rinse them in water, shake-out the water, and then let them dry for a couple days. Don't know if this is good for them or not, but it works for me.......I find that harmonicas that seem to go dead come back to life after I've let them set for a few weeks. I've got a few Hohner C harps that literally died on me. Instead of throwing them away, I threw them in a drawer. A few months later they play great.........The two sets I mention above are both Hohners and might be the Chinese ones mentioned. They're plastic and not quite as tight as the better Hohners or Lee Oskars, but once you're used to them they do pretty well. You will get a little more air in them at times, I assume because they're not as tightly made, but it could also be because I don't know what the hell I'm doing with them...lol...I just play them. I'm using one of the plastic ones in the video I put-up the other day (Crazy John). There is one place, where if you listen closely you can hear the air being sucked into the harp. I suspect my technique is as much to blame as the harp itself........

I play harp in my band using a neck brace and as an acoustic duo. I play only Hohner Special 20s. They are getting pricey ($40) but they sound great and have good playability. I would go for harps with plastic combs over wood -- they hold up better.

I think I've got Hohner, Lee Oscar and Marine Band.All seem as good as each other. I'd buy 2 good ones in your favourite keys.Bit of an outlay but at least they work properly for a decent period of time.They make good presents for someone to give you...just tell them what key you are after.

I need a new holder , mine's very droopy.

Sorry to hear that flatbaroque.

And sorry PM. I looked at those harps on thomann and the first one was £300 . I just assumed you were being an eejit , but upon closer inspection it was a fancy one. Theyre 30 quid or so. Will maybe give one a whirl . I'd like a full set though . which is 300 or so.

Thanks for everyones replies .

All of my harps are Lee Oskar, except for my Low C which is a Seydel - its wacko good. I'm on my second holder says, made in Germany, beyond that I don't remember who made it. I had to unscrew it and flip it over because I couldn't make the stretch. I live at almost 8,000 feet of altitude now, and don't play harp, sing, and play the guitar all at once anymore, makes me pass out...

Found these ones to be better than anything else I tried. C.A. Seydel Söhne

Little bit pricier than some models, but wicked quality and a good sound in all areas of the register.

Yep. Their low tuned harps get you out of that piercing Dylanesque tone and give you a little more growl. Worth the extra bucks.

Archived