Gibson Brands Forums

NAD! Marshall Content!

Ryan H

Well, I've been eyeing this in my local guitar shop for a couple weeks...finally broke down and picked it up. Traded my MIJ Paisley Tele + cash for it; just wasn't bonding with that guitar. I present to you, my 1984 Marshall JCM 800. 50W Master volume model.

WTNLH4h.jpg

Mint condition...sounds just like a Marshall should. All the gain I could want in the High input, and clean headroom for days in the Low input. Also cleans up incredibly well with the volume on the guitar.

$1300. Also, a funny little addition, the serial number ends in 666. Can't get more metal than that \m/

RfQIINj.jpg

-Ryan

Freekin sweet...

I used to use one of those when I was in a band.. it wasn't mine but belonged to the local rehearsal rooms we used so I used it like every week for a few years.. Never used once since but id love too...

One of the best heads ever I think [thumbup]

Will try to get some tones recorded when I have the chance. Just been experimenting nonstop with this thing.

Also, one of the few amps that I don't miss having reverb on. I just don't even realize it isn't there. Never felt that with an amp.

-Ryan

Nice,

I had pretty much exactly the same thing back in the 80's.

Do you have the matching cab?

That 50w head is more than you'll ever need.

I sold it cuz I got tired of lugging the damn thing around though.

But I do miss it. Classic sound for sure.

Do you have the matching cab?

Nah, don't have the room, patience or need for a 4x12. Tried out a bunch of 2x12's at the store and settled on a PRS SE 2x12. Best compromise of sound and portability. Great sounding cab, sturdy and featherlight. Price was right too.

One thing I've learned in testing this out; this amp likes to see 8 ohms.

-Ryan

Nice amp, Ryan. [thumbup] After having tried triple-channel amps, I've gone back to a single-channel Marshall, and I just love the simplicity. As you say, they are very responsive to volume cutting on the guitar (and also playing gently) to get a cleaner sound.

that's a bang up great score !

but NOT the Paisley Tele.....awwww man.....you really traded it? [crying]

is the amp ecc83/6L6 powered?

4 ECC83's, 2 EL34's.

And yeah man...I tried to get along with that guitar, but it was always the last guitar I reached for. It was bought on impulse 6 months ago partly because it was the only one in the store. I know it was a cool guitar, but something about the sound and feel was almost "tiring" for me. And anyways, the Paisley's already been sold to a guy who will play it and appreciate it much more than me...

-Ryan

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, I've been eyeing this in my local guitar shop for a couple weeks...finally broke down and picked it up. Traded my MIJ Paisley Tele + cash for it; just wasn't bonding with that guitar. I present to you, my 1984 Marshall JCM 800. 50W Master volume model.

WTNLH4h.jpg

Mint condition...sounds just like a Marshall should. All the gain I could want in the High input, and clean headroom for days in the Low input. Also cleans up incredibly well with the volume on the guitar.

$1300. Also, a funny little addition, the serial number ends in 666. Can't get more metal than that \m/

RfQIINj.jpg

-Ryan

Nice pick up. I'm sure it's a beast.

I think you have a name for it.

A little update...

When I got the amp, I picked up the PRS SE 2x12 cab for cheap as a temporary cab...and now after trying a few at the store, I've settled on one of PRS's Maryland-made Traditional 2x12's:

FXuK3rF.png

Pine cab (as opposed to birch which is more commonly used), a pair of Vintage 30's running at 8 ohms...nice deep lows, crisp high end without the ice pick, and throaty mids. Nice and light, and the aesthetic fits the JCM nicely.

The SE cab is okay, but the Eminence-designed speakers are a little harsh in the high end, and it's got the typical mid scoop of a birch cab...

-Ryan

I had that same head and stack from mid 80s to mid 90s then I upgraded to a JCM 900 head and I regretted it.

The new reissues have an effects loop I don't think my original did and that was my beef with it.

The JCM 800 was the best overall straight forward of the 2.

I also had a modded head as was the craze back then and it was noisy and the 900 wasn't much better.

Yeah, the originals don't have a loop, but all I run on my board is delay and a couple boosts/drives, and the delay sounds fine up front.

This amp produces the sound that I've been hearing in my head all these years. Something about a good old Marshall just makes you play a certain way.

-Ryan

Archived