Gibson Brands Forums

For eight years i've searched.....

pauloon

For an R9.....travelled here,travelled there,round the corner,round the bend :) ....shops,private you name it,must have tried hundreds...made a 700 mile round trip yesterday and found it (her)...

Everything ''clicked'' with this guitar within minutes...GOT YER!.

Pictures to follow when I get a chance to take some.

For an R9.....travelled here,travelled there,round the corner,round the bend :) ....shops,private you name it,must have tried hundreds...made a 700 mile round trip yesterday and found it (her)...

Everything ''clicked'' with this guitar within minutes...GOT YER!.

Pictures to follow when I get a chance to take some.

he

here are a few.....

PC180135_zpsce0f5685.jpg

PC180128_zpsb062d038.jpg

PC180126_zpsb9cf2f84.jpg

PC180127_zps30dc39d7.jpg

PC180131_zpsea92df44.jpg

Many congrats!

Finding 'The One' simply cannot be explained in words.

Looks like it might be an Eastern Maple top as well. Sweet!

[thumbup]

But 700 miles! Where do you live and where (and how?!) did you eventually find her?

Occasionally in the 'Dim-and-Distant' I travelled from my home (Central Scotland) to London trying to find (in those days) a good Strat so I can empathise; but I'd hate to have to go through that nonsense again...

P.

Thanks pippy....yeah never again,,,,,

It's a story of somebody knows somebody whos got ..etc for sale(and it's a good un' ''so and so'' has played it),..........he wants cash....and pickup....no post...no paper trail...all hush hush...I think the poor fellah was going through a divorce so decided to sell all his assets so ''the vulture'' (his words) would not get it... he had sold vintage cars the lot!

Rang the lad, he explained what he had and amongst his 'lot'...a 50th anniversary R9,...UNPLAYED....curiosity killed this cat,i thought I've tried everywhere else....what the hell, go see!!

Epic tale of Trains,planes and automobiles......how far?.....Newcastle to south of Salisbury over 700 bloody miles......I knew as soon as i'd played one 'lick' on it....it rang and sustained like sweetness itself!

Stumped up the 'loot'...and headed home,...no way was I going to fly back (put 'her' in the hold! PAH!...no way).So a mad dash to kings cross and train home,lost count of how many taxis....

And that's the tale................................Hopefully 'gas' problem solved.

probably....

at least.....

Until next year.

Reading that back...I should say ''unplayed' bar 5 minute doodles. Not a mark on it.

Oh Lordy !

That is a gorgeous R9. I love the look of the flame on that one, and the way it plays against the underlying grain.

Also really like the gentle and subtle burst.

And what a search story. Man, you've got loads of patience and perseverance - and it's paid off for you. Glad you found the one.

Many congrats. Enjoy. . B)

Thank you for your generous comments...it's a Golden orange tea burst!!! of all names! (1 of only 25)

As everyone on this site knows,trying to photograph a ''burst'' is just about impossible...what you see is not what the picture shows!....Every picture tells a story?

Has anybody got the book ''beauty of the burst'' ?....half the guitars in there look orange!

....I just knew it was out there...sometimes you just got to keep the faith....and Gibson will deliver....

Thanks again.

Thank you for your generous comments...it's a Golden orange tea burst!!! of all names! (1 of only 25)

As everyone on this site knows,trying to photograph a ''burst'' is just about impossible...what you see is not what the picture shows!....Every picture tells a story?

Has any body got the book ''beauty of the burst'' ?....half the guitars in there look orange!

....I just knew it was out there...sometimes you just got to keep the faith....and Gibson will deliver....

Thanks again.

hah, that's my new favorite colors lp now! i very much like the lemon burst and the tea burst, your's takes the best of both of those.

No matter what the colour is called - it simply is a darn beautiful guitar with an incredible top. [love]

Congrats, very special HNGD, very, very fine! [thumbup]

Good to hear that your search has come to this successful end. Truly impressive! B)

Thanks Capmaster,i have to say in all fairness to Gibson none of the R9's I tried were 'duds'...but none gave me anything better/extra or different than my R7, and more lately my custom shop 335.

Funny thing is,as the original 59's or bursts found their first true worth with the 60's 'loud/distorted tube' blues players,Bloomfield/Clapton etc,it's my R7 that gives me that type of sound,this R9 is somewhat 'snappier/brighter,more of a 'classic rock' sound and tone.(can still get a good 'woman' tone out of it as well though!.)

Gibson can still (and always will imo) make bloody good guitars.

Thanks ian....but never be envious mate......you yourself have some cracking guitars that people would give their playing arm for.....

I just used to tell myself..........well if it don't show up i'm happy with the one I already got.

Beautiful guitar. Fantastic purchase.

How much does it weight?

What I can't figure out is --?

How come all the other ones you looked at were no good?

Other people may be buying the other ones.

They can't all be rejects.

=====================================================================================================================================================================================

This is what I said earlier In the thread...

======================================================================================================================================================================================

pauloon

• av-12785.jpg

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Capmaster,i have to say in all fairness to Gibson none of the R9's I tried were 'duds'...but none gave me anything better/extra or different than my R7, and more lately my custom shop 335.

Funny thing is,as the original 59's or bursts found their first true worth with the 60's 'loud/distorted tube' blues players,Bloomfield/Clapton etc,it's my R7 that gives me that type of sound,this R9 is somewhat 'snappier/brighter,more of a 'classic rock' sound and tone.(can still get a good 'woman' tone out of it as well though!.)

Gibson can still (and always will imo) make bloody good guitars.

====================================================================================================================================================================================

I haven't got the means to be exact with the weight......but it's over 8 and under 9lb.

Archived