Gibson Brands Forums

J35 hype or for real

brannon67

I played about 5 and think they are a good guitar .They varied in tone and feel. One in particular impressed me immensely.

As mentioned they are not J-45's.

If you are gassing for a J-45 buy a J-45. This guitar certainly holds it's own for what it is.It's a well priced

Gibson alternative to whats available.

I wish they would lose the "Banner Headstock Logo" though ,as it never applied to the original J-35's.

Clearly the Epiphone Texan is the better value, and certainly has the better tone, and look. And with Epiphone, at least you will know that the fit and finish are correct. But SHHHH! Don't let Gibson know this or they will discontinue the Texan. And I can understand why. How can Gibson explain that the Epiphone sounds, and looks better than the $1600 J-35? The Epi cost just $399. There isn't an audience member in the world who would discern the difference in tone, and 99% of them would prefer the fine burst of the Texan, over the drab brown J-35.

Again with the better? I would like to meet the arbiter of all things guitar who makes such decisions. Why not just say I like the Epi IB Texan better. You can't a really argue with that.

The J35 is for real and most folks who like Gibsons will like this one. Workermanship is up to par with any Gibby ..... sound is loud and clear and balanced. Actually has very nice highs. Playablility is very good, but that is pretty subjective. Comes with standard Gibson set up and ready to play right out of the case. I don't like a lot of bling so I like the way it looks. I like natural color but some have expressed a desire for a sunburst model. Having said that, I like my J50 better and my former J45 Western better ... but that too is subjective. As said, best guitar for the money in the Gibson line (and many others .... rather have it than any Taylor I've played).

Clearly the Epiphone Texan is the better value, and certainly has the better tone, and look. And with Epiphone, at least you will know that the fit and finish are correct. But SHHHH! Don't let Gibson know this or they will discontinue the Texan. And I can understand why. How can Gibson explain that the Epiphone sounds, and looks better than the $1600 J-35? The Epi cost just $399. There isn't an audience member in the world who would discern the difference in tone, and 99% of them would prefer the fine burst of the Texan, over the drab brown J-35.

GL, since you own 5 or 6 Epiphones , I'm guessing you've already voted with your wallet. Some folks would rather own a single $1500 Gibson than three $500 Masterbuilts. Which is the better "value"? Apples and Oranges. You are right based on what you're looking for..

Meanwhile, OP is asking about J50s and AJs on another thread he started, and hasn't been back here. So, I don't think he knows what he's looking for, or our opinions are needed anymore.

Ok, finally played a J35 today. I must say, I was impressed. Felt good, sounded good. You are right, its a little brighter and punchier then the J45, but thats a good thing. Not bad at all. Even though its hog back and sides, it is different in tone to the J45. Hmmmmmmmm.

Dr. Epiphone I'm sure you've realized by now it says Gibson on your paycheck. [rolleyes]

irrational exhuberance at the highest level I say [glare]

lol I have player a ton of epiphones and not even in the ballpark. the j35 is one of the best new guitars out in a while . on par with the new d18. different animal but no epi even comes close but they make epi for people that cant afford a gibson

GL, since you own 5 or 6 Epiphones , I'm guessing you've already voted with your wallet. Some folks would rather own a single $1500 Gibson than three $500 Masterbuilts. Which is the better "value"? Apples and Oranges. You are right based on what you're looking for..

Meanwhile, OP is asking about J50s and AJs on another thread he started, and hasn't been back here. So, I don't think he knows what he's looking for, or our opinions are needed anymore.

fourtyearspickin...I don't "vote with my wallet...thank you." I have young ears that actually can hear the difference in tone, and I buy accordingly thank you.

And learn what a decent firestripe pickguard looks like.

Hey, considering we now have natural top J-45s and LG-2s, a Banner on a J-35 makes perfect sense.

As much as I love banners the banner on the J-35 is kinda lame. Oh well, can't argue too much at the price point!

It's funny because when the guitar debuted at NAMM it had the correct old pearl inlay Gibson script. Sometime between then and production Nashville decided the guitar needed a banner headstock.

I've thought about what would be involved in stripping the headstock, having it finished black then having the Gibson logo done. Then I realize I'm nuts and remember to leave well enough alone.

For me this is a biggie. I really do question the wisdom of buying a bunch of "el cheapo" guitars as opposed to one "good" guitar. If I add up what I spent on my two 1930s Oscar Schmidt-made guitars, Harmony Sovereign and 1950s Epiphone FT-79 they total about what a new Gibson J-35 would run me But I did not buy these guitars because I thought they would be a good substitute for a Gibson (or a Martin or anything else). Each is very different from the other and I do like the way they feel and sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I like mine a lot. As mentioned, they're brighter than a J45 but my J35 has very good bass and overall is nicely balanced. I had an AJ for a while but prefer the J35 for what I do in DADGAD playing Irish/Celtic music with other instruments. To me, the J35 is more articulate and focused with a nice mid-punch which is perfect for finger-style and bringing out melodies. I capo a lot on the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 10th frets and the J35 retains excellent intonation and tone/volume. It's right there with my Martins and Guilds and offers a different, unique sound, which is what I was looking for.

However, to my surprise I discovered the J35 can vary in looks and tone. The first one I tried was physically different than the second, and sounded quite different. Oddly, the Gibson logo on the headstock of the first J35 was straight across the top, while the logo on the second was angled slightly up to the right. The truss rod cover on the first guitar was thin, cheap plastic with no trim while the TRC on the second was much nicer and thicker with white trim. The end of the fretboard on the first J35 was positioned farther away from the sound hole rosette than on the second guitar, a difference of about 3/8". The first J35 with the straight headstock logo sounded great, while the second J35 with the angled headstock logo sounded like an inexpensive plywood guitar. Not good. The second J35 also had the beginning of a seam split on the back. Naturally, I bought the first one and it's really nice. Just be aware that they can vary.

The one thing I don't like about the J35 is the Baggs Element pickup. I've never been a fan of UST pickups which sound piezo and electronic, not natural as with a K&K. I contacted Gibson to see if I could get a J35 without it, but was told absolutely not. I also don't like volume wheels in the sound hole. So my next order of business is to remove the Element system, make a new bone saddle and install either a K&K or JJB 330 which is the equivalent of the K&K at half the cost. Also looking at the Baggs Lyric.

DC

The one thing I don't like about the J35 is the Baggs Element pickup. I've never been a fan of UST pickups which sound piezo and electronic, not natural as with a K&K. I contacted Gibson to see if I could get a J35 without it, but was told absolutely not. I also don't like volume wheels in the sound hole. So my next order of business is to remove the Element system, make a new bone saddle and install either a K&K or JJB 330 which is the equivalent of the K&K at half the cost. Also looking at the Baggs Lyric.

DC

Absolutely RIGHT! msp_thumbup.gif

• 5 years later...

Howdy. Just bought a J35 and it is a powerhouse. Lots of punch and yet very beautiful tone when fingerpicking. It has great low end and lots of brightness on the high end.

I would perhaps try silk and steel strings Rather than 80/20 or Phosphor Bronze to counteract the high end of it was a problem to a player.

Overall they are worth every dime and then some.