Gibson Brands Forums

Cranky

RichCI

And another thing.

The little focker$ should learn to spell' date=' or just text their other idiot, nonspelling idiot friends.

Thanks.

Murph.[/quote']

Indeed... its tiresome, members from other places do as much as they (we) can to write in a comprehensible manner... and then you have those kids (tho I know some of them aint kids) who are supposed to speak english (they live in the states and the UK dont they?), just shoot away and write things in a way nobody can understand.

I like to help when I can, but sometimes it's so hard, one has to read some posts 10 times before understanding what's been asked, and then when you take the time to write a valid answer (and elaborate on it), the little f-cker goes and buys the melody maker anyw](*,) ay.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with people asking what, to *me*, are fairly basic questions; if they don't ask, they don't learn. I also gave up caring about proper grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure on message boards years ago; not everyone speaks English as their first language and we're not writing college dissertations here either. As long as I can understand what they've saying or asking, that's good enough for this medium.

My rant really boiled down to one point: Don't speak with authority about things you have no experience with.

I like to help when I can' date=' but sometimes it's so hard, one has to read some posts 10 times before understanding what's been asked[/quote']

In those cases, either ask for clarification or just ignore it. We're here for our own entertainment and you don't owe anybody anything. It's nice to answer questions when you can, but you have no obligation to do so.

I have no problem with people asking what' date=' to *me*, are fairly basic questions; if they don't ask, they don't learn. I also gave up caring about proper grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure on message boards years ago; not everyone speaks English as their first language and we're not writing college dissertations here either. As long as I can understand what they've saying or asking, that's good enough for this medium.

My rant really boiled down to one point: Don't speak with authority about things you have no experience with.

[/quote']

I know exactly what you're saying Rich. I'm usually pretty good at spotting when someone is talking out their A**. I'm usually too lazy to correct them though and I really don't like to be confrontational. Some people get really touchy and have to come back on you if you try to correct them, even if try to say it politely. Plus, I'm rarely so confident in my own knowledge to assume I can correct someone else. That's why I'm distrustful of anyone who speaks with an air of infallibility or superiority on any topic, whether it's guitars, politics, whatever. No one has all the answers to everything.

As for me, I almost always qualify anything I say with statements like "I think" or "in my opinion" so that I don't come off like I think I'm an authority. It seems on those few occasions when I think I'm really smart or knowledgable about some topic and get a little cocky, I end up looking like a big jackass in the end. I'm sure it will happen again in the future, but try hard to keep it to a minimum.

Just remember that 50% of people are dumber than the average person. Now start with the average person and you'll see why we're in big trouble!

The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked! What kind of math are you using there rocketman? It's a wonder we made it to the moon...or did we?

I am an amp expert, I have experience: I plugged my guitar to an amp the other day... it had no brand on it, but it was an amp, I know because the salesdude at the store said so, and he should know, he works at a musical instrument store, and you guys know those stores are intelectual hothouses. The amp was good, the guitar sounded great through it even though it wasn't turned on! I think it was a marshall MG series, and the ad on guitar world magazine was right, they nail that tube sound just perfectly (and it was off, I can only imagine how that thing would sound if I turned it on!).

I too' date=' tire of the experts, still in school.

I'm a 50 year old bar gigger that first played the Surfside Bar in Clearwater beach Fla. at age 12. At age 17 I was fronting a biker bar in Apache Jct., Arizona, (The Rib Eye circa 1975) drinking beer, and getting paid, and played every East Mesa/Apache Jct club through the early 80's. Moved to Lake Charles La., and played every club in that area, Sulphur, ect until moving up here to Blago land. I still gig bars 40/50 weekends a year, and am as busy as I've ever been, economy and all.

I used a JCM900 4100 1/2 stack for almost a decade. I've gigged Peavey Deuce, Classic 50, Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Fender Prosonic, and am now using a Mesa Blue Angel.

I won't ask "what amp to buy".

I won't drop any names, because I won't post any pictures on a forum. I'm just here to shoot the sh!t with musicians. Not so much kids.

Good post Rich.

Murph.[/quote']

You sir, are awesome.

No seriously. I love bar gigs, chilling down to some music with friends while some local band is playing tunes everyone can enjoy. Makes me forget any worries, since music is my only drug. Sometimes, I really hate being part of the 'guitar hero-generation' (I'm 21 years old). Give me a calm bar with a relaxed atmosphere, a fair amount of people (not too many) and one guy sitting down on the stage with a guitar in his hands. Combine, and I just might be a very lucky man.

The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked! What kind of math are you using there rocketman? It's a wonder we made it to the moon...or did we?

Hmm, I guess you missed the part where I state "I think it's OK to ask dumb questions." What kind of math theory would you like? I published a 600 page book that has over 2,000 equations and I've directly worked on seven NASA spacecraft missions that have worked flawlessly to this day (I'm still consulting on a number of other ones too), but I'd be happy to further discuss my mathematical manhood if you like. It'll have to wait a few days though when I return from the moon (he he he)...

Hmm' date=' I guess you missed the part where I state "I think it's OK to ask dumb questions." What kind of math theory would you like? I published a 600 page book that has over 2,000 equations and I've directly worked on seven NASA spacecraft missions that have worked flawlessly to this day (I'm still consulting on a number of other ones too), but I'd be happy to further discuss my mathematical manhood if you like. It'll have to wait a few days though when I return from the moon (he he he)...[/quote']

I missed nothing, I was just finishing my 3rd cup of coffee and couldn't stop myself from replying to all threads...I will acknowledge your superior mathematical manhood...have fun on the moon..M O O N spells moon.

I missed nothing' date=' I was just finishing my 3rd cup of coffee and couldn't stop myself from replying to all threads...I will acknowledge your superior mathematical manhood...have fun on the moon..M O O N spells moon.[/quote']

No problem. The whole moon thing is funny to me as a story. I actually got to spend an entire day with Buzz Aldrin once and I asked him his opinion about the whole moon issue. I'll just state that it's a touchy subject with him. It turns out that literally a week later someone came up to him with a bible and asked him to swear that he had really been on the moon. Buzz ends up decking this guy! There is just too much evidence already. How can these naysayers explain the Laser Ranging Retroreflector, which was placed on the moon as an Apollo 11 experiment (to this day it still works)? Or the fact that the Russians actually tracked the entire landing; their data even shows when Armstrong took over control? I guess they can claim we gave the Russians a bunch of money to fake that data.

Talk about dumb...

...hm... actually I was not ranting about "normal" people that play and record through pods... but about people that come to the studio pay around 2K for one song and want you to record them with that... and say you are outdated because you dont use that... and they tell you (they actually TEACH you) every respected artist records through pods...

Archived