Gibson Brands Forums

The urban legend, John Lennon's other RR

Riffster

So I am in Florida enjoying a few days off and never knew about this car presumably once owned by Lennon.

It has not been moved in a long time, sitting in wooden blocks and when the parking lot was re-paved around it.

8944A5CB-DDDA-4DF0-A1BC-40A7D6A8441B_zpsiflkot8a.jpg

1609B064-0926-4F1A-8A2D-3BB906DAE42E_zpsopjpcjb2.jpg

3F723BD6-1B49-488F-87E7-88202E509B21_zpstkbwn9pg.jpg

B2C1A797-EB65-4EDC-8D57-93C5A193D9FF_zpsfczv0h7f.jpg

51217FF9-017E-46F2-A0C3-9728CA1F7FF5_zpsubcv6pdi.jpg

yea, its easy to preach that when you've got $300 mil in the bank

almost every forum i've ever been on, about any topic, when i say things like this - out come the villagers with their torches and pitchforks. nice to see that you don't get mobbed for telling the truth

I'm pretty sure that's NOT a Phantom, it's a Silver Cloud 3, (second model with a V-8).

Lennon may have had several Rolls Royces, but the one he's most associates with is the 1965 Phantom:

Easy to see that the white SC-3 is not the same car.

2876811345_7b2da08cb8_z.jpg

yea, its easy to preach that when you've got $300 mil in the bank

True...I have never heard a poor person say money isn't everything...only people who are in good financial shape say things like that.

So I am in Florida enjoying a few days off and never knew about this car presumably once owned by Lennon.

It has not been moved in a long time, sitting in wooden blocks and when the parking lot was re-paved around it.

8944A5CB-DDDA-4DF0-A1BC-40A7D6A8441B_zpsiflkot8a.jpg

Look behind the right rear fender. Looks like a battery cable hanging down.

Corrosion all around the bottom of the car, (you can see the waves meaning there is corrosion under the paint).

While the body is steel, the doors, hood and trunk are aluminum.

Color rings missing from the hub caps.

Car has 3 side view mirrors, so the ones on the fenders were probably added later on.

Front door is grossly misadjusted, (or the body is tweaked).

Not sure why the hood isn't latched completely.

B2C1A797-EB65-4EDC-8D57-93C5A193D9FF_zpsfczv0h7f.jpg

You can see the corrosion at the front wheel well, and how wavy the lower body is.

You can also see the rust under both headlights

Those RR cars were so classic & beautiful. Remember helping my B.I.Law restore the finish on one. It broke my heart to take it down to bare metal and sand off all the expertly perfect filler they used (like a 1/8" thick primer) when the client wanted a color change. It looked really nice when done, but I knew we didn't hold a candle to the original finish work with the repaint job. Same year as "whitey" in the photo & same color BTW (until it changed).

When it comes to The Beatles, I'm a huge fan. I do have to separate the talent for one thing (Music) and the messed up lives that JL lived. I would have loved to heard him sing, but from everything that I've been able to read, it doesn't sound like I would have wanted him as my friend or to "hang around" with.

It is easy to say all the things in "Imagine" but I can't IMAGINE living in that world at all. [biggrin]

Like to think of his best song as being "In my Life" as it's uplifting instead of depressing (like he must have been often).

Aster

[/url]

51217FF9-017E-46F2-A0C3-9728CA1F7FF5_zpsubcv6pdi.jpg

Easier to see the corrosion starting around the front wheelwell, (look at the forward side), and the holes where the color ring was mounted on the hub cap.

Yea Dan, this car is baking in the Pensacola, FL sun day in and day out. It is right on a waterfront too so the corrosion must be creating havoc on this car.

The rumors say this car was owned by Lennon once, bought by a businessman that disappeared a couple of decades ago.

The car was wreckx some time ago, actually t-boned and thats where the ill fitting door comes in.

Whether this was Lennon's car at some point or not who knows but it is interesting that somebody has put some energy into keeping the car there, putting it on wood blocks, paving around it and keeping it clean.

Maybe, it is all rumors when it comes to this car. Some say they lifted it to pave the parking lot, not sure that is true.

Regardless of what is true and what is not it makes for a weird story.

Yep, I am tired of rock stars complaining that there life is so hard now and people want to meet them and get autographs. If you are tired and fed up with the music biz here is an idea stop playing music and go work at Micky D's and no one will want to talk to you or care who you are.

I was really impressed with James Taylor when he came out with the song about being "grateful" for people to like his songs and sing them over & over. The song name escapes me. He was just happy to be blessed instead of tired, bored, and worn out with singing the same old songs. (180 degrees from Rick Nelson's "Garden Party" song).

I'm always proud of the BBall players that will take the time & really make a fan esp. a kid fan, feel like a king when they give them an autograph or visit with them. Cal Ripken Jr. comes to mind and his work with kids baseball camp too.

Aster

You know, I LOVE The Beatles, and their music, both as a group, and individually!

There will never be another band like them! They were the perfect storm, for their

time, and place! [thumbup][biggrin]

But, :rolleyes: I have to admit, I don't give a toss, about what they may, or may not have

owned, at one time, or even what they own now. Good for them! But, that has nothing

to do with me, or my life.

But, that's just Me! [tongue]:rolleyes:

CB

I am not even much of a fan of their solo stuff, like their "best of" , as solo artists they were decent but there was not a lot of magic there.

I not much into knowing their stuff, heck I have not even read the Beatles Gesr book as I am not sure I care what they played in detail.

I just thought this car is a curiosity and I doubt the stories but I was a few blocks away at Patti's when I was told about it and thought I'd check it out. I've been to Pensacola about 5 times and never heard of it before.

Archived