Gibson Brands Forums

Bought a D'Angelico EX-1 Today

RevDavidLee

I have always wanted one of these and settled for the offshore one as I didn't want to drop over 10k for the USA Masterbuilt model. Found one used on MF for $1039 with hard shell D'Angelico case. I wanted the natural finish so that's what I ordered. I believe these sell new for $1299 so I saved about $250. Have read great reviews on these and had to rely solely on those because no one locally has them for me to try out. Of course everyone knows that you have 45 days to return things to MF so no worries with this purchase. They are stunning to look at and so far the reviews I've read everyone seems to love the crap out of them. We'll see [smile]

fc0cfd64-7f09-425a-b939-00efe179b1a3.JPG

Sorry - I meant I bought an EXL-1 [blush]

More info:

Features

Single cutaway shape

Hollow body

Laminated spruce top

Laminated flamed maple back

17-1/2" width, 3" depth

Floating Humbucker

1 volume / 1 tone controls

7-ply binding

Stairstep pickguard

Satin stain rosewood bridge

D'Angelico stairstep tailpiece

Gold-plated hardware

Grover Super Rotomatic tuners

1-11/16" nut width

Neck: Hard maple 2-pcs. walnut center

25.5" scale

Mother-of-pearl inlay

Includes deluxe hardshell case

Congrats! One beautiful guitar. I went to a guitar show last February & played my first D'Angelico guitar. I had seen an article for a D'Angelico bass in Bass Player magazine about a year ago which was the first time I had ever heard of this brand. The headstock design on those are really cool! msp_thumbup.gif

I can't wait to read your review and hear some sounds clips when you get that puppy. I'd love to get my hands on one of those to see what they're all about.

One MAJOR decision you've got on your hands is to flatwound or not to flatwound. It seems to me from your posts around here you are mainly a flattop player, but.....if you really want to get THAT sound and performance out of a big archtop, you've got to try some flats.

Keep us posted.

I think you will find you have made a good buy Rev.

Excellent spec in the D'Angelico and similar in construction to my Yamaha AE12 (except the Yamaha has double humbuckers like the L5).

Personally, I would like the single floating pickup design as most of my playing is over the top of the neck pickup anyway.

Gorgeous, Rev.

I'm sure I saw one of these in a post by someone in the 'Introduce Yourself' section.

I definitely remember checking out on-line the non-USA D'Angelico range after I saw it - whatever it was...

Very nice indeed!

[thumbup]

P.

I can't wait to read your review and hear some sounds clips when you get that puppy. I'd love to get my hands on one of those to see what they're all about.

One MAJOR decision you've got on your hands is to flatwound or not to flatwound. It seems to me from your posts around here you are mainly a flattop player, but.....if you really want to get THAT sound and performance out of a big archtop, you've got to try some flats.

Keep us posted.

Already ordered a few sets of different gauges of these from Just Strings. Heads up to everyone when ordering from these folks - they charge as much for shipping as they do for a set of these strings. Thought that was a bit tacky.

51MouDKzS2L._SY300_.jpg

I prefer personally the shorter scale and size of the 16-inch box and 24 3/4 scale. Think 175.

But my Eastman is a fine instrument. My inexpensive floating pup Gretsch (the longer scale) is doggone nice with the flats it's wearing.

I've about concluded that American guitar design is pretty much definitive on archtops, flattops and various electrics, but the Asians seem to have little difficulty at crafting roughly similar instruments that are eminently playable and sound quite nice at price points that make the instruments available to folks who couldn't imagine buying a decent electric archtop some years ago.

Each of us will find a slightly different instrument more comfortable and "natural," but the bottom line is that there's a quality of instruments today with many different shapes/types that puts us into a guitarists' paradise excepting GAS pains when the wallet doesn't match the wishes.

Rev... I hear you on the Just Strings. Shipping costs will bite you unless you buy a whole batch of stuff that cuts the cost per package.

m

Already ordered a few sets of different gauges of these from Just Strings. Heads up to everyone when ordering from these folks - they charge as much for shipping as they do for a set of these strings.

I get my "boutique" strings from stringsbymail.com, you might want to check them out in the future.

Anyway... seems like you're on the right track for the new archtop. Once you get accustomed to the sound and feel of the SS flats, you might consider going one step further:

http://www.labella.com/products/800m-black-nylon/

Years ago, jazz guitarist John Pizzarelli turned me on to these strings, and I've never looked back. I actually use various types of LaBella strings on ALL my guitars now.

they charge as much for shipping as they do for a set of these strings.

yes, this is the harsh reality I guess.

I have used these guys for many years now, for guys with multiple guitars (like, HELLO -- Almost ALL of us)..I just place an order to "restock" and the shipping charges, aint so bad. I live in Central Mass,, they're up in Southern New Hampshire, it takes like two days for orders to get here.

I get my "boutique" strings from stringsbymail.com, you might want to check them out in the future.

Anyway... seems like you're on the right track for the new archtop. Once you get accustomed to the sound and feel of the SS flats, you might consider going one step further:

http://www.labella.com/products/800m-black-nylon/

Years ago, jazz guitarist John Pizzarelli turned me on to these strings, and I've never looked back. I actually use various types of LaBella strings on ALL my guitars now.

Never heard of these before now [omg] Just ordered a set! Thanks Sir! [thumbup]

... Rev... I hear you on the Just Strings. Shipping costs will bite you unless you buy a whole batch of stuff that cuts the cost per package.

m

I hear ya my friend. The only reason I didn't order more is because I'm not sure at this point what strings I will end up favoring on this particular guitar so the experimentation stage is going to run me a bit more. Between ordering from Just Strings and a set of those LaBella's I've already dropped almost $50 on strings for a guitar I don't even have yet.. Lol [blink][smile]

When I got my Gretsch archtop - not nearly as nice as yours, but also with a floating pup - I got several different sets of flats - maybe a half dozen - and also some of my normal AE and acoustic sets so it made the shipping worthwhile. I don't think I'll need to buy strings for a while...

BTW, I used tapewounds in the '70s on an old archtop. Had mixed emotions about 'em personally, but I can see how they'd be awfully nice for some folks.

m

I hear ya my friend. The only reason I didn't order more is because I'm not sure at this point what strings I will end up favoring on this particular guitar so the experimentation stage is going to run me a bit more. Between ordering from Just Strings and a set of those LaBella's I've already dropped almost $50 on strings for a guitar I don't even have yet.. Lol [blink][smile]

But, you will have it soon! Let us know what you think.

But, you will have it soon! Let us know what you think.

Right you are - it showed up about 4 hours ago and I have (literally) been playing it the entire time up until about 20 minutes ago. :o WHOA!

This guitar is nothing short of stunning in every way possible. And I'm not just talking about the appearance - this plays like a dream. Attention Gibson - you could learn A LOT from the people who built this guitar. The setup and action and the neck and the tone are to die for. I mean to die for. Even with round wound D'Addario's on it it's d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s as can be. The guitar is easily worth twice what they're selling for new so this was a bargain no matter how you slice it. As far as buying "used" - the initial listing on Musicians Friend said "Condition Level 2 - may show slight wear from normal use, blah blah" NO IT DIDN"T! It's like new and I could not find a single pick impression on the pick guard or a single mar or mark anywhere. I even had to peel the plastic film off the pickup cover. This was the same as brand new. Same with the case. Stunning!!!! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Gotta go post some photos - back with the link soon. [wub]

Photos!!!! Here's my link:

http://www.rivercityrockets.com/DAngelicoEXL1.html

I've been playing it some more. [love]

You know it's going to sound fantastic plugged in when it sounds so damn good not plugged in. And it does. After the first 2 hours of playing it unplugged, I ran her through my SWR California Blonde acoustic amp and then through my Trace Elliot TA50R. Juicy. Articulate. Chimey. Sweet and soulful. I am really truly pleased with this purchase guys. I'm trying to imagine how the 10k USA made version could be so much better to justify that extra 9k. And I can't justify how it could sound THAT much better. I mean I'm no slouch here brothers and I have some very fine guitars in my stable so I have good comparative references to draw upon and this Made in Korea D'Angelico is not only worth the full asking price of $1299 for new - the $1039 I paid for "used" was a giveaway price.

Its hard to surprise me after all these years of pickin & a grinning but, consider me pleasantly and joyfully surprised. What an axe! [thumbup]

Archived