Gibson Brands Forums

Good new bands?

RichCI

You guys who are still in highschool and college get all the tips on what good new bands are out there that aren't necessarily in the mainstream. When I was in college, I was into all kinds of bands before they broke big or never broke at all but were still great so I KNOW you all have heard of some golden nuggets out there that the rest of us are completely unaware of. Give it up and fill us in!

Have you heard of the Raconteurs? Jack White's new band. They have sweet riffs, nice harmonies, rippin solos, and one hell of a rhythm section. Check out their second album called Consolers of the Lonely. Their first one was a little dull but Consolers of the Lonely is rock and roll. Two great songs to spark your interest are Rich Kids Blues and Carolina Drama.

Another great modern band is the Black Keys. Listen to anything off of Rubber Factory or Attack and Release. Great dirty bluesy duo.

My Morning Jacket has got some good stuff, the singer/guitarest loves his gibby flying Vs...Check out www.pandora.com, it's an online radio station that lets you buid your own station, they have a HUGE music library and you can build a station based on lots of different criteria:

genre

artist

song

etc

I've heard a lot of new, good music on this web station.

Arctic monkeys... where did I hear about them?

Ok, arent they the band that got sued by (or did they sue?) Myspace.com or msnspace? I remember reading about them on a recording magazine a while ago (a long while ago), the article said they became somehow faomus by posting their songs there and then the site was asking them to pay the site royalties even for live shows... the site's lawyers stated the site sing up form was a contract and said contract specified all material posted on the site belonged to the site.

That day I took off myspace every song my band and other bands had recorded in the studio. The "contract" is supposed to be valid even if you took down your stuff.

There's really only two or three new band's I've heard in the past few years that I was like, wow. Sick Puppies is one. They're transplanted to the US from Australia. They were the first band I was able to relate to musically and lyrically in years and the singer actually sings, none of this cookie monster vocal bs all the popular rock bands are doing.

Than there's Black Light Burns. I heard about them two years before a disc was released. They're fronted by Wes Borland, former guitarist of Limp Bizkit. I actually just saw them last night for the third time and they're just increadable live. Wes sounds like Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails vocally, and the music is really cool. The first disc though is made up of quite a few known musicians though, like Danny Lohner and Josh Freese.

Also, Silversun Pickups. A lot of people think they sound like Smashing Pumpkins, but I don't hear it. Just because the guy sings like an out of breathe wuss doesn't mean they sound like SP to me.

The Almost is a pretty good band as well. The vocalist/guitarist played all instruments on the debut album. He's also the drummer/vocalist in a christian metal band called UnderOath.

i'm not positive but this band just started to make it big last year, they just realesed there first album "light from above", they're really good i think. definately not your average band for these times. they are called black tide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0E6nsE6_e4

they are all under 20, i think they're like a 15 year old, a couple 16 year olds and one of them is 18. might be older now, it was a while ago when i checked.

the first song and this one are probably my favorites by them. this ones got a really good solo i think, sounds almost bluesy, not just AHHHH! METAL!!!!!!!!!!

On a softer note and little more with the current trends *I* see everywhere like heavy use of delay, cleans and then overdrive and somewhat melodic.

These guys are endorsed by Gibson Custom Shop yet he is playing a PRS...go figure

On a softer note and little more with the current trends *I* see everywhere like heavy use of delay' date=' cleans and then overdrive and somewhat melodic.

These guys are endorsed by Gibson Custom Shop yet he is playing a PRS...go figure

[/quote']

that was pretty cool.

I'll +1 the Black Keys, silversun pickups and kings of leon

Heavier side= The Sword. The album has horrible production but you can find live recordings and youtube where they sound much better.

I saw People on Planes a couple months ago and they were very good but kind of out there style wise. My type of music but I haven't found others that like them yet.

Have you heard of the Raconteurs? Jack White's new band.

I've heard some of their stuff and it's very good. Definitely on my list of stuff to get.

Hey RichCI' date=' I'm not a young guy' date=' but my 13 yr old nephew recently turned me on to the Arctic Monkeys. Those guys are young but play with passion. Not all thier stuff is great, but there's definitely a lot I like.[/quote'']

Never heard of them but the name sounds familiar. I'll check them out.

My Morning Jacket has got some good stuff' date=' the singer/guitarest loves his gibby flying Vs[/quote']

Those guys have a very strong buzz and I read an article about them. Definitely on my list to check out.

I didn't know that Winger got back together but with Ian Astbury on vocals. Is it 1986 again? ;)

Radiohead (it isn't new' date=' is it?)

The strokes

The White Stripes

Interpol

Kings of Leon

Scissor Sisters

Muse.[/quote']

Love "Pablo Honey"

Love the first Strokes CD, not so big on the second one

Interpol sounds familiar...

Have the Kings of Leon EP "Holy Roller" - great stuff; been meaning to hear more

Never head of the last two.

i'm not positive but this band just started to make it big last year' date=' they just realesed there first album "light from above", they're really good i think. definately not your average band for these times. they are called black tide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0E6nsE6_e4

they are all under 20, i think they're like a 15 year old, a couple 16 year olds and one of them is 18. might be older now, it was a while ago when i checked.

the first song and this one are probably my favorites by them. this ones got a really good solo i think, sounds almost bluesy, not just AHHHH! METAL!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote']

Pretty good; they sound very similar to Skid Row. You should check out Skid Row's self-titled first CD and their second, "Slave to the Grind," if you like that band.

Here's how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEi4IwOdOWI

On a softer note and little more with the current trends *I* see everywhere like heavy use of delay' date=' cleans and then overdrive and somewhat melodic.

[/quote']

Not bad but I had enough of the mopey stuff in the 90s.

Thanks, everyone! Looks like I need to hit Amazon!

Archived