Gibson Brands Forums

No playing for me for a few days

jannusguy2

A word of advice: do not grab a skillet recently out of a 400 degree oven without an oven mitt. My fret hand will be tender for a few days. #dumbaxx.

P.S.- the pork chop was quite tasty (even through the screaming).

OUCH! Slap some mustard on it and it'll heal quicker. Might sting like @#*% for a minute or two.

How was the Trower?

Σß

JG2, I's be lying if I said "I feel your pain." But I sympathize greatly. I've done that. We have some cookware with insulated handles and some without. If I'm not paying attention (or if I'm cooking with wine) I might forget which I'm dealing with. But, usually, I try to 'protect' my left hand without denying it a lot of chance to get exercise. Hard call to make at times. It sounds like it may take more than a few days for your skin to recover. Your callouses may have to be re-built. Look at this as an opportunity to take a break from playing, which will give you a much better appreciation of playing. Jim

Well, I hate to say it, but I'm relieved that I'm not the only one capable of doing dumb things with their hands. About 10 days ago, I suffered second degree chemical burns on my right forearm, and lost almost all the skin off my right hand, thanks to using an incorrect concentration of chlorine bleach as part of an exterior cleaning solution. I mistook a highly-concentrated industrial bleach (despite the warnings on the label) for conventional household bleach.

I didn't realize I had a tear in one of my elbow-length gloves, and managed to fill it with highly-concentrated chlorine solution, which pretty much instantly burned my arm and hand in a pretty frightening way. At least the arm is looking a bit better now, but I still wear long sleeves when I go out in public, as I don't want to frighten small children.

Not much playing for the last week, and the skin is still sloughing off my picking hand, but I can move my fingers. It did give me the opportunity to stay away from fingerpicking for a few days and go back to a bit of flat pick cross-picking, but I still have trouble holding onto a pick.

My wife thinks I'm a complete idiot, and she may be right.

Do you realize how hard it is to type with one hand?

This was, at some level, a "cooking with wine" circumstance. I am pleased to report that my reactions weren't so slowed that I did really significant damage. Blisters were raised but they will diminish. Nothing along the lines of Nick's debacle. Good Lord man, that's some serious shxt! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for you.. I will not have lost any callouses in this adventure. May have gained a couple! Thanks for the kind concern.

Days without a dumb accident-0

Yikes!

I came from a family of cheapies that grab hot things with whatever towel is around, but the Boss burned herself and soon after found some Trudeau Oven Mitts....sensational stuff. Us old geezers need to remember to put them on though!

BluesKing777.

Yeah. We've bought a few 'potholders' that should have had Surgeon General warnings - "For Decorative Purposes Only". Or is it California that puts these warnings on things now? Now we have a waffle grid rubbery square set that seem to work, but scare me - because heavy hot pans compress the little squares so the space in between is what is between my hand and the pan in places.

Well, I hate to say it, but I'm relieved that I'm not the only one capable of doing dumb things with their hands. About 10 days ago, I suffered second degree chemical burns on my right forearm, and lost almost all the skin off my right hand, thanks to using an incorrect concentration of chlorine bleach as part of an exterior cleaning solution. I mistook a highly-concentrated industrial bleach (despite the warnings on the label) for conventional household bleach.

I didn't realize I had a tear in one of my elbow-length gloves, and managed to fill it with highly-concentrated chlorine solution, which pretty much instantly burned my arm and hand in a pretty frightening way. At least the arm is looking a bit better now, but I still wear long sleeves when I go out in public, as I don't want to frighten small children.

Not much playing for the last week, and the skin is still sloughing off my picking hand, but I can move my fingers. It did give me the opportunity to stay away from fingerpicking for a few days and go back to a bit of flat pick cross-picking, but I still have trouble holding onto a pick.

My wife thinks I'm a complete idiot, and she may be right.

Do you realize how hard it is to type with one hand?

Several years back my wife had the opportunity to officially declare me a complete idiot for a similar adventure. I was stripping furniture in the garage. The warning label clearly wasn't that frightening - sounded more like a lawyer's attempt to absolve his client of any wrong doing. So, my very holy rubber gloves allowed lots of the stripper in to bathe my hands for an hour or so. A day or three later, by skin started to peel. Kept peeling for a few weeks. A few layers I guess. Didn't affect my playing - was mostly all on the surface. But, that was when I first realized I needed to protect my hands - so it wasn't a complete loss. Only one 'accident' since then - and it was very much unavoidably unpredictable.

Yeah. We've bought a few 'potholders' that should have had Surgeon General warnings - "For Decorative Purposes Only". Or is it California that puts these warnings on things now? Now we have a waffle grid rubbery square set that seem to work, but scare me - because heavy hot pans compress the little squares so the space in between is what is between my hand and the pan in places.

Those waffle squares are great for opening tight jar lids!

Try some Trudeaus....amazing, but no clue what or how they work.............

BluesKing777.

This was, at some level, a "cooking with wine" circumstance. I am pleased to report that my reactions weren't so slowed that I did really significant damage. Blisters were raised but they will diminish. Nothing along the lines of Nick's debacle. Good Lord man, that's some serious shxt! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for you.. I will not have lost any callouses in this adventure. May have gained a couple! Thanks for the kind concern.

Days without a dumb accident-0

JG2, glad it wasn't worse, stretch your fingers so the new skin is nice and flexible. When I cook with wine - I put the pot holders out on the stove. or right next to the oven door. Sometimes it works.

As mindless accidents go, it puts 'trimming beard while forgetting to put the guard on the razor' rather to shame. A reminder for all to stay mindful. Be well, Rob, Nick.

I'm actually healing up surprisingly well. It's hard to believe that even this old body can renew itself so quickly. If I could just get the feeling back in the ends of my fingers, it wouldn't be bad at all.

I hate doing stupid things, but this isn't the first, and won't be the last.

A word of advice: do not grab a skillet recently out of a 400 degree oven without an oven mitt. My fret hand will be tender for a few days. #dumbaxx.

P.S.- the pork chop was quite tasty (even through the screaming).

It sounds like a hot time!..No seriously I know it hurts! And worse that you can't play for a while. I once hurt my thumb and the doctor told me not to play for a MONTH! So I feel your pain...but you will heal, and you will get back to it. And when you do, you will appreciate it even more. I never knew how much I loved and needed guitar until the doctor said STOP!

Actually I wonder if there are famous recognizable musicians on board? I'm sure there has to be.

I remember having the idea that member gotomsdos in reality was Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics.

Perhaps a thin-ice-theory, , , , however he stopped posting shortly after it was aired. .

Apart from that Mr. Buckeridge is right in reminding us there are so many others here than the small choir of village-voices heard all the time (in case anybody forgot).

I think a LOT of silent readers follow these pages on and off. From Barack Obama over 10 girl-scouts from The Balkan Peninsula to a lonesome bored guard on the Chinese Wall. .

Somewhere in between you'll of course find whoever, , , just not Slowhand as he never touched an acoustic Gibson guitar. .

And who on earth btw. is A. Buckeridge, , , , Friedrich W. Nietzsche !?!

Archived