Gibson Brands Forums

knobs

the dog

For the people out there who have taken your volume and tone knobs off your Les Paul.

What tool do you use or what do you use as a tool too get them off.

I want to take mine off and machine the hub inside so the knobs will sit closer to body...

For the people out there who have taken your volume and tone knobs off your Les Paul.

What tool do you use or what do you use as a tool too get them off.

I want to take mine off and machine the hub inside so the knobs will sit closer to body...

I used my fingers.... And you don't need to machine the "hub." Simply adjust the inner shaft nut away from the potensiometer body, thus positioning the outer spline closer to the body, thus positioning the knob closer to the body... Easy as 1 2 3

I used my fingers.... And you don't need to machine the "hub." Simply adjust the inner shaft nut away from the potensiometer body, thus positioning the outer spline closer to the body, thus positioning the knob closer to the body... Easy as 1 2 3

I tried my fingers first.....They started to hurt and the knobs did not budge.....

in other words......loosen the nut under neath the knob so the pot will go into cavity farther and then tighten from inside cavity?

I'm assuming there is a nut inside the cavity to lock against the nut underneath knob...

I tried my fingers first.....They started to hurt and the knobs did not budge.....

in other words......loosen the nut under neath the knob so the pot will go into cavity farther and then tighten from inside cavity?

I'm assuming there is a nut inside the cavity to lock against the nut underneath knob...

The adjustment nut inside the cavity... that's the one I'm talking about

They make a tool, but i've always been able to remove the knobs with my fingers

I made a tool from a flattened/slotted spoon, but....

before that I used two putty knives, one layed flat against the body to protect it from the second one which is used to gently pry the knob off. Use just a little pressure at a time, turn knob slightly, repeat.

I no longer pry knobs off with my fingernails, just as I no longer open beer bottles with my teeth. There are better ways.

One thing about LP or rather, Gibson knobs: you can damage them easily, basically by cracking them around the shaft. They rarely break completely, but it's quite common to see them split inside there.

Having said that, the method of rocking them gently with a tool is I think the best way. That's basically the same as L5LARRY's post. I used to use a butter knife.

Never did the t-shirt deal. It looks like it would work, but there are a lot of guitars I wouldn't dare do that to.

Whatever method you end up with, remember you can always buy another knob.

Just wrap something sturdy around the potentiometer shaft underneath the knob and pull up. I have used polishing cloths, shoelaces, thick plastic bags, lengths of insulated wire, really anything within arm's reach. As long as you pull straight up and do it slowly you shouldn't damage anything. If you want the knob to come off a little easier next time gently squeeze the two ends of the split shaft a tiny bit closer together so the part that contacts the knob is more narrow.

Well I gave a good looking under the knobs with my magnifier visor on and I don't have much if any at all adjustment by turning the nuts.

There is only one visible thread sticking above the nut as it is now.

I have a 3/16 gap between knob and body.

Well I gave a good looking under the knobs with my magnifier visor on and I don't have much if any at all adjustment by turning the nuts.

you lost me at 'magnifier visor'.....

haha, just kidding

Add washers above the nut

Guest Farnsbarns

Add washers above the nut

Not gonna help if there is only 1 thread available on top. Sounds like the pot shafts or knobs are non standard/the shafts arw too long for the knobs or the knobs aren't properly pushed down.

Not gonna help if there is only 1 thread available on top. Sounds like the pot shafts or knobs are non standard/the shafts arw too long for the knobs or the knobs aren't properly pushed down.

Put the washers on top of the inner nut and it worked like a charm on my midtown

I've pulled knobs with my fingers, a rag, a t-shirt, even a shoelace. Then a couple years ago I needed to pull some bridge bushings to convert a Nashville bridge to an ABR-1 so I bought one of these bushing pullers. Turns out it's great for knobs too. A bit pricey to just pull knobs, but now that I have it I do use it as a knob puller.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Maintenance/Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html

Archived