Gibson Brands Forums

Oasis Guitar Humidifiers

BluesKing777

Anyone use these?

I got one (1) in a recent order to try. If it works, I like the idea mainly because I store guitars in cases standing up and could keep doing so. The PW sponge type lends itself to the guitar lying flat.

I wrongly assumed that the local shop had plenty, but of course, none! So, if the air gets dry, I will have to share it around a few guitar cases until I get another couple. What a cheapskate - sharing a humidifier among multiple guitars........

http://www.oasishumidifiers.com/original.html

BluesKing777.

I used them last year in all my acoustics. It was so dry here last winter I had to keep an eye on them daily. Probably filled them a couple times per week. All things considered I liked them. When the guitar is in the case with the lid closed I also included a damp sponge in a baggie which was placed under the neck.

Like I posted before, these are the ones I like the best. To anyone who is going to use them though: read the directions about using distilled water. Apparently if you use tap water the fabric can get clogged with minerals in the water and you lose the effectiveness. This is the fourth winter I have used them and I still am on the same jug of distilled water, it is still about half full. I think the jug was less than a dollar. Also every year they tell you to change the crystals in them. The refill kits that will fill 8 units I think was 4.99.

I've been using them for years now, the only thing I'd mention is always check for leaks with them. Give them a light squeeze and listen closely, if you hear water bubbling it might be time to replace your humidifier. Same goes for checking the material for leaks, I just had to replace the one in my Advanced Jumbo for this reason. I gave the humidifier a little squeeze and water bubbled through the blue material... better then than in the case.

Anyone use these?

I got one (1) in a recent order to try. If it works, I like the idea mainly because I store guitars in cases standing up and could keep doing so. The PW sponge type lends itself to the guitar lying flat.

I wrongly assumed that the local shop had plenty, but of course, none! So, if the air gets dry, I will have to share it around a few guitar cases until I get another couple. What a cheapskate - sharing a humidifier among multiple guitars........

http://www.oasishumi...m/original.html

BluesKing777.

I haven't tried the Oasis humidifiers yet but I do have several Oasis digital Hygrometers. They are priced at about $30.00 but they seem to be very accurate and fit in the case better than any I have tried. I ordered 4 of them and all of them read the same as each other...and all four of them read the same as my large Sears digital room humidifier. I seldom need an in case humidifier but when I do, I still use those long rubber green snake tubes inserted in to the body. They never leak if they are filled properly. Distilled water always.

Been using Oasis for years in the winter. I use them like Krasi does - in the case, not in the sound hole. The summer humidity isn't a problem as my air-conditioner handles it well.

Cost wise they're fairly cheap - just distilled water and a crystal replacement every couple years.

Been using Oasis for years in the winter. I use them like Krasi does - in the case, not in the sound hole. The summer humidity isn't a problem as my air-conditioner handles it well.

Cost wise they're fairly cheap - just distilled water and a crystal replacement every couple years.

Do you do the electrics (pics in your footer) or just the acoustics - I never thought of electrics needing it. They probably do - still bits of wood.

BluesKing777.

I was interested in BK's question about storing his guitars standing up with these

I haven't seen this addressed, I store my guitars in there cases on there sides

with the humidity pack system. I don't think this is the best way to do this as

the packs touch the top of the guitar, instead of hanging down in the sound hole

Do you do the electrics (pics in your footer) or just the acoustics - I never thought of electrics needing it. They probably do - still bits of wood.

My semi/hollow electrics each have an Oasis. Never had any trouble with my solid bodies - no checking, no neck binding splits, no protruding frets. If you notice any of that in the dry weather, take action.

On the acoustics, the Oasis does a good job - but, no matter how diligent, the bellies do go down a tad.

I was interested in BK's question about storing his guitars standing up with these

the packs touch the top of the guitar, instead of hanging down in the sound hole

You don't want moisture touching the unfinished portions of the guitar (inside) - the moisture can work through wood, get under the finish and cause damage. The repair of this type of finish damage can be expensive.

I haven't tried the Oasis humidifiers yet but I do have several Oasis digital Hygrometers. They are priced at about $30.00 but they seem to be very accurate and fit in the case better than any I have tried. I ordered 4 of them and all of them read the same as each other...and all four of them read the same as my large Sears digital room humidifier. I seldom need an in case humidifier but when I do, I still use those long rubber green snake tubes inserted in to the body. They never leak if they are filled properly. Distilled water always.

I may have to get a couple of their hydrometers!

The PW Humidipak ones are just doing whatever they like - the new one reads about 7% humidity higher than an old one I have. Which is correct? I don't see the point of selling something that doesn't work - we could stick our fingers up in the air and guess the humidity and save the cash..... I hope the Humidipaks themselves are more consistent!

BluesKing777.

Another good, but scary point!

The 'paks' are quite stiff at the moment and pretty well hang the same as if the case was flat, but maybe that is because they are new and will get the droop later!

I don't have room to lay my guitars flat - they are all stored in racks upright, and I can't imagine most people store guitars flat?

Anyone?

BluesKing777.

I store my guitars on their sides. I have the oasis in one and a planet waves holder with a sponge in the other. I stopped using the humidpaks because they were expensive and had to replace too often in the winter when my house gets really dry. The oasis lasts about twice as long as the planet waves between refills. I don't even see the humidpaks for sale anymore in local stores. I think alot of people decided they were too expensive.

I may have to get a couple of their hydrometers!

The PW Humidipak ones are just doing whatever they like - the new one reads about 7% humidity higher than an old one I have. Which is correct? I don't see the point of selling something that doesn't work - we could stick our fingers up in the air and guess the humidity and save the cash..... I hope the Humidipaks themselves are more consistent!

BluesKing777.

Two things are required by every acoustic guitar owner. A Hygrometer, and humidification.

Here are two of the best and most reliable products for that purpose.

http://www.guitarcen...666-i1396314.gc ....A reliable digital hygrometer to accurately and easily measure humidity in your case.

http://www.musicians...idifier&index=4 ...a reliable drip free Dampit hose....never leaks unless you over fill it....never.

Two things are required by every acoustic guitar owner. A Hygrometer, and humidification.

Here are two of the best and most reliable products for that purpose.

http://www.guitarcen...666-i1396314.gc ....A reliable digital hygrometer to accurately and easily measure humidity in your case.

http://www.musicians...idifier&index=4 ...a reliable drip free Dampit hose....never leaks unless you over fill it....never.

Thanks for the links, GL!

BluesKing777.

What does everyone do with all their little Oasii when they are not in use? Especially if you have .....hmmmm...20.....10 !!!

I have only one but it has been about 80% humidity here the last few days.

Do you have to do anything special to keep them in good nick?

BluesKing777.

Archived