Gibson Brands Forums

Up? Down? Sideways?

Marshall Paul

OK fellas, while we've got you all thinking, who out there likes to de-tune? Who is thinking that the old EADGBE 440 gets a little stale every now and then. Who begins to look past the nut at the headstock and thinks "ooh, what are these shiny looking things on there? What will happen if I start turning them?

Do you have a favourite de-tune? Do you have a favourite song you like to play that requires de-tuning? If so, what is it? Is there one you'd love to do but need some help with? Heady ponderings indeed! lol

When I first got a dobro, the in song to play at the time was Dire Straits "Romeo and Juliet". Now, I've got to admit, that one had me scratching my head. But then a mate told me about the de-tune for it and I never looked back after that. So much fun to play! It's F/Bflat/F/Bflat/D/F. Once you've done that, then capo off at the 3rd fret and there you go. Too much fun.

So, what's got you cranking those shiny bits? Know any new ones we might not know? If so, please do tell.

The only time I really got into alternate tunings was through some guy called Jimmy Page. I learnt a lot of his tunings from guitar magazines. The one I really like is the one for The Rain Song which I believe is D-G-C-G-C-D.

These days I only use DADGAD, open G (D-G-D-G-B-D) and double drop D (DADGBD) on very rare occasions.

For me learning varied chords/ chord voicings in standard tuning is what I really got into many years ago - 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths, maj/min, dom, aug, and so on. When I started learning extented chords & voicings I forgot all about open tunings. Open tunings are very unique sounding though and are lots of fun.

I like to play in open G sometimes. It's fun to play a lot of Stones stuff in the 'ol Keef style. I leave the lower E on however. :rolleyes:

I also like open D when for playing some of Neil Young's songs.

And when I am in a metal mood I sometimes drop-D-it. [wink]

Yeah, Pagey, he was another that used to get you scratching your head going "wtf?" lol

For many years I didn't realise that he had a de-tune for his 1275 that was kept that way as his standard. The upper 12 was 440 EADGBE but the lower 6 was EADADE. Whoa...ok! lol

And your right about his "Rain Song" de-tune. That one had the finger in the ear, scratching away for a while there too!

Then there's "Kashmir". DADGAD.

A lot of the time, you can't beat Drop D (DADGBE) for doing power chords. Just makes it so much easier sometimes. Then there's Open D (DADFflatAD).

Open tunings do sound beautiful, and even more so if done on a 12 string. A real harp effect.

Here's some more songs and their de-tunes if anyone feels like giving them a go.

Frampton:

"Wind of Change" DDDABF#

"Nowhere's Too Far For My Baby" EAEAC#E

"All I Wanna Be (is by your side)" EADGBD (sort of reverse drop D)

Queen:

"Fat Bottom Girls" Drop D (DADGBE), optional Double Drop D (DADGBD)

Heart:

"Magic Man" either normal 440 or EADGDG

Fleetwood Mac:

"Gold Dust Woman" DADGBD

David Lee Roth:

"Damn Good" Drop D (DADGBE)

Micky Ralph of Bad Company:

"Can't Get Enough" CCGCEC

I've got a heap of them here, too numerous to keep listing, but if anyone's interested, just write here on this post and I'll see if I've got it for you, ok.

[thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

Who is thinking that the old EADGBE 440 gets a little stale every now and then

Do alternate tunings give us new notes? Have I missed something? :D

Open G for Stones (Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk etc)

Drop double D for Cinnamon Girl

Drop D for Fat Bottom Girls

Eb Bb Eb Eb Bb Eb (from memory) for Jumping Jack Flash

Eb normal tuning for heavier sound or when singer needs it

432 for grooving with nature, man.

hmmm...maybe I DO want a G-Force after all [mellow]

Dylan's 'Buckets of Rain'.

The top E goes to D and some others get changed a bit, too........[smile]

Same chap's 'Ballad in Plain D' as well.

P.

Yeah, I don't think it's a straight out reverse drop D, there's something else there as well. Give me a sec mate, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Open G for Stones (Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk etc)

Drop double D for Cinnamon Girl

Drop D for Fat Bottom Girls

Eb Bb Eb Eb Bb Eb (from memory) for Jumping Jack Flash

Eb normal tuning for heavier sound or when singer needs it

432 for grooving with nature, man.

hmmm...maybe I DO want a G-Force after all [mellow]

With the "Fat Bottom Girls" song, the de-tune all depends on which version of the song it is. The album version (Jazz, 1978), I think from memory uses just Drop D, where as the single version, Brian uses Double Drop D I think.

Keef uses (or used) DAD#A#DD for "Jumping Jack Flash". And yet, oddly enough, when Frampton covered it live (FCA), he just used 440.

And the 440Eb half tone step-down was famously used by Phil Lynot in Thin Lizzy. Good example is "Boys Are Back In Town".

And when I start to tire, the ever dependable 432 Major third in 440 always serves well! lol.

When you go to the shop to check out these G-Force thingy's?... can I come with you? :unsure:

Dylan's 'Buckets of Rain'.

The top E goes to D and some others get changed a bit, too........[smile]

Same chap's 'Ballad in Plain D' as well.

P.

I believe the "Buckets of Rain" de-tune might be either DADF#AD or EBEG#BE. Not real sure. Give them a go and see what you think mate. Sorry I couldn't be any more help there. [crying]

I believe the "Buckets of Rain" de-tune might be either DADF#AD or EBEG#BE. Not real sure. Give them a go and see what you think mate. Sorry I couldn't be any more help there. [crying]

Hey, thanks, MP.

I've just checked and I play the DADF#AD way.

Weird! 30-odd years ago I just tried-out various things to see which worked best for me.

It seems like I might have stumbled on the correct tuning more by chance than design........

Now I'll have to get the G-J back up to pitch. If only G-Force existed in 1946 and A. di Mauro had the sense to fit one to the Old Girl....

P.

yea,

I dig guys like Micheal Hedges, Alex DeGrassi, Ed Gerhardt so alternate tuning with acoustics is a thing I do quite a bit.

My wife's brothers play guitar too, they'll pick up one my acoustics start playing, a few seconds go by, "ah jeeze, he's at it again..."

Hey, thanks, MP.

I've just checked and I play the DADF#AD way.

Weird! 30-odd years ago I just tried-out various things to see which worked best for me.

It seems like I might have stumbled on the correct tuning more by chance than design........

Now I'll have to get the G-J back up to pitch. If only G-Force existed in 1946 and A. di Mauro had the sense to fit one to the Old Girl....

P.

Yeah, I've been running that DADF#AD tuning through the brain pan and it seems to fit with the song.

And a lot of my figuring out when I was younger was more by pure fluke as well! lol

I have never experimented with tuning down. I had a friend that liked to tune his Jazzmaster down a half step. That little bit does give open chords a much darker sound.

I have played around with open tunings, mostly open G (DGDGBD) and currently my favorite is double drop D (DADGBD). The last two songs I wrote were in double drop D. I hope to have the lyrics finished soon so I can start working it out at rehearsal. One thing I do not do with open G is play Stones. Never. So boring and tired. My favorite players that use open G and double drop D a lot are Alan Sparhawk of Low and old Neil Young. I have also played around a little with tuning the top string to either D (REM's Gardening at Night uses this) or F# (Kevin Shields of MBV has used this). Sevenths and augmented fourths or fifths in the upper octaves can have a very cool effect.

And no, alternative tuning dosnt give us more notes. It does help force a shift in playing the same old patterns over and over again.

Exactly. For me it is a new approach to the same chord progressions where I might find a new chord voicing that is not possible with alternate tuning.

Yup, the 440Eb half tone step-down. Phil Lynot was a big advocate for that. I think because it probably suited his voice better. Definitely gives a bit more growl eh. I think that maybe if your going to leave it at that, then you might have to go up a gauge in your strings. Like, my standard gauge is 8-38's but I'd probably have to go up to say 9-42's.

Open G and Double Drop D are wonderful de-tunes, endless possibilities. Gilmour is a big Double Drop D fan.

I'll admit, I'm not that a big a fan of the stones, although I do admire Keefs ability to drop out of a coconut tree headfirst and survive! lol

With your D and F#, is that both 1st string? Or is the F# the G? Sus7th's are always welcome, especially in an open tune.

[thumbup]

the textures you can get are pretty interesting.

I like to play around with C-G-D-G-A-D tuning.

D-A-D-G-A-D is kinda fun too

E-A-D-E-A-E is quite interesting, but your nut and tuning peg (especially the G string) need to be in good order or you'll just blow thru G strings like there's no tomorrow

Yeah, Pagey, he was another that used to get you scratching your head going "wtf?" lol

For many years I didn't realise that he had a de-tune for his 1275 that was kept that way as his standard. The upper 12 was 440 EADGBE but the lower 6 was EADADE. Whoa...ok! lol

And your right about his "Rain Song" de-tune. That one had the finger in the ear, scratching away for a while there too!

Then there's "Kashmir". DADGAD.

A lot of the time, you can't beat Drop D (DADGBE) for doing power chords. Just makes it so much easier sometimes. Then there's Open D (DADFflatAD).

Open tunings do sound beautiful, and even more so if done on a 12 string. A real harp effect.

Here's some more songs and their de-tunes if anyone feels like giving them a go.

Frampton:

"Wind of Change" DDDABF#

"Nowhere's Too Far For My Baby" EAEAC#E

"All I Wanna Be (is by your side)" EADGBD (sort of reverse drop D)

Queen:

"Fat Bottom Girls" Drop D (DADGBE), optional Double Drop D (DADGBD)

Heart:

"Magic Man" either normal 440 or EADGDG

Fleetwood Mac:

"Gold Dust Woman" DADGBD

David Lee Roth:

"Damn Good" Drop D (DADGBE)

Micky Ralph of Bad Company:

"Can't Get Enough" CCGCEC

I've got a heap of them here, too numerous to keep listing, but if anyone's interested, just write here on this post and I'll see if I've got it for you, ok.

[thumbup]

Some cool tunings there MP. That's the great thing about this forum, that it makes you think of things you may not have played/ tried for a while. I managed to find this list of Page's tunings which seem to be accurate. I forgot to mention 'Wonderful One' which is on the list from Page & Plant's No quarter album. That's another beautiful sounding tuning, which Page plays 12 string on.

White Summer/Black Mountain Side - DADGAD

Moby **** - DADGBE

Friends - CACGCE

That's The Way - DGDGBD

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - DGDGBD

Hat's Off - CGCGCE (CGCEGC ?)

Going to California - DADGBD

When the Levee Breaks - CFCFAC - (open G, down a tone)

Dancing Days (live) - DGDGBD

In My Time Of Dying (studio)- EAEAC#E

In My Time Of Dying (live) - DGDGBD

Bron-Yr-Aur - CACGCE

Ten Years Gone - DADGBE

Black Country Woman - DGDGBD

Poor Tom - CACGCE

Travelling Riverside Blues - DGDGBD

Wonderful One (Double neck) -

- 6 string - F#F#C#F#C#F# (GGDGDG)

- 12 string - Standard tuning capo 1

City Don't Cry - EAEAC#E