Gibson Brands Forums

How do you spot a fake Fender?

Thundergod

Ok, there's been more than enough talk about how to spot fake gibbies, and most of us agreed to stop giving explanations but just telling it was or not a real gibson.

But what about Fenders? Last week I was witness to the lowest thing a luthier can do... he was aplying a fender decal to a squier guitar. I told him not to... that's all I could do, then I left (and will never fo back to that particular luthier).

I even asked him what if the future owner finds out and confronts him... he answered by asking me if I was going to tell the guy... (damn right I am, I love trouble).

So, how do you know a fender is not a fender?

Do you mean an American Fender, or a Mexican Fender, or a Korean Fender, Indonesian, or Chinese.

Did I miss any?

Hell, ya gotta take the neck off em' to date em'.

Best to ya Thunder. I'm not a big Fender fan......

Can ya tell?

Murph.

You know here in brazil we are very cautious about Fenders (hundresds of fakes) and a lot of guys know how to spot one.

The thing is, you've got to know the headstock logos. You have got to know iwch stands for wich period and country - Japan, US, Mexico. Also, the serial number will be placed in different spots depending on where the guitar was crafted - and it's year.

The serial number checking is one of the things to check as well.

But I'm not an expert at this. But I'll be checking it in the next few moments/hours/days.

So... nothing more obvious like with Gibsons?

Sometimes it's quite obvious:

http://aceguitarshop.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=31

And this arcticle is lying. Fender DOES place serial number at the neck heel. But only on the japanese ones.

I'm still searching the headstock logos right now.

But I'm willing to help anyone who wants to start a tread to see if its a fake fender or not. I just need to contact some guys and they tell what's wrong and where.

Fender guitars are easy to spot fakes.At the head stock remove the neck and you,ll see it dated and who inspected it.tuners should say Fender.

Pickup cavity routes have employee inps.stickers.They used to have s.n on back of headstock on older models.Sometimes they,re on the inside of

pickup cavities.Quality and workmanship is something easy to spot.bridge saddles should say Fender on the older ones.There,s so many ways to

spot the fakes.I played them and still do after thirty years.I just can spot the fakes.

Fender guitars are easy to spot fakes.At the head stock remove the neck and you' date='ll see it dated and who inspected it.tuners should say Fender.

Pickup cavity routes have employee inps.stickers.They used to have s.n on back of headstock on older models.Sometimes they,re on the inside of

pickup cavities.Quality and workmanship is something easy to spot.bridge saddles should say Fender on the older ones.There,s so many ways to

spot the fakes.I played them and still do after thirty years.I just can spot the fakes.[/quote']

That is true, but does not work with pictures...

I think a lot of it depends on the model, and Fender makes a LOT of variations of the Stratocaster.

My MIA 57 Reissue:

Has a serial number stamped on the neck plate, not the headstock. Might be in the neck pocket but I never took the neck off.

Does not have "Fender" stamped on the tuners but does have it stamped on each of the bridge saddles.

The same advantages in Fender design is what makes them more easily falsifiable. You can switch parts easily and there are a ton of aftermarket parts. The Squier line makes things even worse.

There are more than 100 differenet Stratocaster models and if you count from the beginning who knows.

Like Guitar Slinger says you have to know your logos and it does not end there, you have to do your homework.

Applying a waterslide is a very easy thing to do...I applied this one to my beater, if you know your logos you would know this logo has never been used by Fender on a guitar...

Guitars001.jpg

+1 That was my point... with gibson you can tell with pics' date=' but with fender you have to take the damn thing appart... and when buying online or at a store its not an option.[/quote']

Not entirely true. There is also a good side of having 90 models of stratocaster. It means they are very specific. I know a few guys who can spot a fake fender with pcitures (not talking about vintage) because most times people say it's an X guitar and you can see it's not.

But, really, it's not such an easy feat and you have to keep up with your homework.

Archived