Gibson Brands Forums

Used Les Paul said to be a Standard.

skilsaw

I just saw what was described as a Les Paul Standard for sale on a local stolen and used website.

I'm no expert, but it didn't look like my Standard.

It had rinky-dink looking vintage tuners and "Standard" was not engraved on the truss rod nut cover.

Other than that, what can you tell from pictures on the web?

It could be anything. a Studio, a Chibson...

The price was $1000. Okay for a Studio maybe but is it too good to be true for a Standard?

If a person is interested, they should forget the model it is alleged to be and play it.

If you like it, make them an offer. Then don't announce to the world that you got a Gibson Les Paul Standard for $1000.

The other enquiry I would make is to the police. Do they have any record of a stolen guitar with that serial number?

Guest Farnsbarns

Is rinky-dink a technical term, or the brand. Can you elaborate?

The vast majority of Standards don't have standard on the TRC. It comes and goes but over the history of the model it has been out more than it's been in.

Pics or a link would be useful.

Guest Farnsbarns

Photos, or it doesn't matter! :rolleyes:

[lol]

And, buying ANYTHING from a site that posts "stolen" items is NOT a good idea!

CB

I assumed that was a joke [unsure][-o<

Here is the ad from the Victoria buy and sell (used and stolen)

http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard_24004178

See what you think.

A person needs to be more expert than me to tell if this Les Paul is a copy or not.

On Youtube videos I've seen some pretty miniscule details used as proof that a Les Paul is a fake.

And just because it is a copy, It doesn't mean it is a poor quality instrument. It may be worth the 1/4 of the new Les Paul price that they are asking.

Details people have given to prove a Les Paul is fake:

- Three screws instead of two holding the trus rod nut cover.

- Screwdriver slots on the end posts of the saddle (sorry, don't know what else to call them)

- A run in the laquer where the neck joins the body.

These details don't influence the guitar sound quality. I'll bet there are real experts that can play a guitar and tell if it is real or fake just by the sound. Then they check the pickups and other electronics and confirm they are correct.

In this case, I wouldn't be going to the police to rat out the vendor. I would be looking to see if the serial number belongs to a stolen instrument. If you buy a stolen instrument and the original owner finds you, the instrument is his, regardless of what you paid for it. You lose your money.

See what you think.

Oh God - whoever strung this beautiful guitar lastly, must be a genius! [scared]

44983354_934.jpg

Viewing all of the pics says it's about a clearly legit Gibson Les Paul with satin finish, in my guess a special run Standard for a retail chain, but I'm not sure about the latter. Could be well worth the price, but restringing with correct rotational direction is heartily recommended. :)

Oh God - whoever strung this beautiful guitar lastly, must be a genius! [scared]

44983354_934.jpg

"....restringing with correct rotational direction is heartily recommended."

The genius of it all! This is going to be Gibby's new method from all their 2016 models onwards! Why didn't we see it?

Guest Farnsbarns

See what you think.

A person needs to be more expert than me to tell if this Les Paul is a copy or not.

On Youtube videos I've seen some pretty miniscule details used as proof that a Les Paul is a fake.

And just because it is a copy, It doesn't mean it is a poor quality instrument. It may be worth the 1/4 of the new Les Paul price that they are asking.

Details people have given to prove a Les Paul is fake:

- Three screws instead of two holding the trus rod nut cover.

- Screwdriver slots on the end posts of the saddle (sorry, don't know what else to call them)

- A run in the laquer where the neck joins the body.

These details don't influence the guitar sound quality. I'll bet there are real experts that can play a guitar and tell if it is real or fake just by the sound. Then they check the pickups and other electronics and confirm they are correct.

In this case, I wouldn't be going to the police to rat out the vendor. I would be looking to see if the serial number belongs to a stolen instrument. If you buy a stolen instrument and the original owner finds you, the instrument is his, regardless of what you paid for it. You lose your money.

Nothing odd at all about the tuners or the TRC. If it doesn't look like yours perhaps you should post pix of that so we can check yours isn't fake?

As for "what can you tell from some pix on the web?~ answer, plenty, if you know what your looking for. Probably best just to ask others until that's you. You could ruin an innocent person's day that way.

Obviously a poor attempt to approximate locking tuners. [biggrin]

The genius of it all! This is going to be Gibby's new method from all their 2016 models onwards! Why didn't we see it?

Damn - now that you mentioned it, the scales fell from my eyes! [lol]

Archived