Gibson Brands Forums

Phosphor Bronze or Bronze Acoustic Strings

g6120

Curious what folks here are using for their acoustic guitars

Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Strings or Bronze strings .

Whole bunch of different kinds.........6 acoustics, each has its own brand and gauge[thumbup]

I believe the 'phosphor' provides an electromagnetic component for acoustic-electrics. (Bronze is nonmagnetic, but alloys have magnetic properties.) I don't know if that's its only function. :-k

I believe the 'phosphor' provides an electromagnetic component for acoustic-electrics. (Bronze is nonmagnetic, but alloys have magnetic properties.) I don't know if that's its only function. :-k

In my understanding, the phosphor is what gives phosphor-bronze a little more pizzazz than regular bronze. And under-saddle pickups are not magnetic at all and don't need anything magnetic to work.

If you really want something nice for a magnetic pickup, nickel strings are where it's at.

Actually, I don't really like any kind of bronze much anymore, and my favorite kind of strings are the John Pearse Pure Nickels. Bronze and phosphor-bronze are still fairly "new" to the scene. The old-timey, vintage tone, even '60s tone, is pure nickel strings or some kind of blend (like monel).

Both, it depends, , , I even use silk & steel sometimes.

The Martin Retros nickle/monel-thing didn't sound bad at all - just need to find the right guitar.

Btw, your avatar lights up my day, mr Threadhost, , , and it's needed. . .

Thx

Welcome to the forum...do you like the EB aluminum?? How are they on the fingers about the same as bronze?

They feel like non coated strings, especially compared to the Elixers. I find them to provide a full even sound and a bit more "thump" on the low end, especially on my GA bodied Taylors.

I've always been searching for tone, playability, flexibility and durabiliy. I've been pleased with many brands but lately I've found that Martin Retros nickle/monel strings has all these qualities and since one of my acoustic (Martin) is equipped with a Roland GK-3 magnetic pickup running a Roland GR-33 and a Roland VG-88 these strings track better.

They above all make my Sidewinder sound wonderful.

Curious what folks here are using for their acoustic guitars

This is one of the coolest avatars I´ve seen!

Generally, I tend to use 13s (medium) 80/20 or nickel for guitars that were designed long (decades) ago, like the J-45 or D-28, because that´s what was around or commonly used by the buyers. I just believe that the guitar designer(s) probably tried to build well sounding and playing (=selling) instruments with the commmon type of string in mind. I also prefer round core, but they´re not available everywhere. For more recent guitars with pickups I use light strings.

Archived