Gibson Brands Forums

stolen LES PAUL

kb5szo

Guest Farnsbarns

G&L started micro-chipping their U.S. made guitars a few years ago. I wonder why more, major manufacturers don't?

Brian

So did Gibson. There's a transponder chip hiden in the neck pocket. It's really for factory use, but it's there, can be read and is a unique identifier.

Jeez. Calm down francis. :rolleyes:

A MASH reference possibly? I'm old enough to remember if so...

Listen fellas, I openly confessed to spewing moot bravado about it, clearly that open admission went without notice by a few of U...

As a 20-something kid I think I would have been just as victimized. Thinking now about how I worked so very hard late in life to acquire a real Gibson Les Paul, I would easily melt down if one gets stolen from me now!

Hell my home was broken into and I was burglarized in 2009 and they took a Smith & Wesson .38 Special snub-nosed revolver and that doesn't even bother me as much as losing one of my Les Pauls now would, and that was a federal felony!

Then again I have two more of them snubby's here for my self-defense or shooting pleasure too...

Since I only got two hands, I'm not so broken-up about it... [smile] But that Model 36 Chief's Special was a pretty nice little snubby...

But thinking about how I didn't get my girst Gibson Les Paul until the summer before I turned 45, losing it now might push me far enough over the edge to take one of my .45's with me to hunt it down!

The likely scenario of the federal offense that took place in my home is some junky riding his bicycle out into the suburban/rural area lookin' for homes that aren't so well seen from the road but a place they can high-tail out of in a hurry if need be. The overwhelmed the locks on a door and forced entry into my home grabbed a big boutique shopping bag laying around in the house snatched-up the hot new Wii gaming system, a digital camera, some jewelry, and easy to grab items found the snubby in a bed stand and made off with what they could carry in the bag and headed back down to the canals by the river in Holyoke to sell on streets and in the Bodegas for drugs...

We keep checkin' every spring when it warms up enough for 'em to come crawlin' over the hill that separates us from the river and Holyoke proper up this way when they know workin' folks is out earnin' tax revenues... We keep tighter tabs on our neighborhoods 'cause I wasn't the only one that was victimized in this way...

In more country locale's than this over-populated New England hell I call home the crime perps are different and often folks from within the vaster and more spread out rural communities...

It's a different breed and different set of folks and creates a very different dynamic than it does here. It's tougher when you may know or may be acquainted-with those that are doing such things...

Here the I91/I95/I87 interstate highways are the major drug trafficking corridors for the gangs and drug cartels and this corridor has it's share of junky's that calls The Pioneer Valley home thanks to that.

Look, I'm no Rambo, but I refuse to be a victim if I can have any say in it whatsoever. I followed all the proper protocols when my home was burglarized including full disclosure including pictures, serial number info, and all registration paperwork of my firearm that made the crime a federal felony. I have a good ongoing relationship with my local chief of police and he keeps renewing my license to carry concealed so I must be doin' something right even if I do spout off given a meaningless opportunity in an interwebby forum!

The thought of losing my Les Paul or my Custom guitar "Manalishi," at this point in my life makes my blood boil and would fill my heart with enough rage that I might well go armed to get it back...

In retrospect, do you wish you would have allowed the police to handle it without you having a gun on you personally? I know we are all geniuses with the retrospectascope and I may have misinterpreted what you said in the OP but can you imagine what went through their heads when the thought of you confronting the thieves with a weapon and the thieves had weapons? Even 40 some odd years ago I don't think that would have been agreed to by any police department.

Sorry about your loss, that kind of thing can stick in your craw for years. I had my little storage shed broken into in 1968 and I had a Beatles "Dead babies, Yesterday and Today" album stolen and I still haven't gotten over it. [cursing] I hope you get it back.

My comment about being armed was when I was asked to set them up for auto theft-If they had figured out what I was doing I probably whould have "disappeared" EM

My comment about being armed was when I was asked to set them up for auto theft-If they had figured out what I was doing I probably whould have "disappeared" EM

Yup. I can see that.

I absolutely, positively, would not begin to judge you for doing it, not doing it, doing it armed, or doing it unarmed.

I might say, if I was going to be in that situation myself, I wouldn't expect having a gun on me to make my disappearing less likely.

Yup. I can see that.

I absolutely, positively, would not begin to judge you for doing it, not doing it, doing it armed, or doing it unarmed.

I might say, if I was going to be in that situation myself, I wouldn't expect having a gun on me to make my disappearing less likely.

Well at even that early age I had gone through training and was a certified firearm instructor for rifle ,handgun ,shotgun so I Hope my training would give me an advantage in a "bad situation" but really it doesn't matter as the local sherrif refused my condition and the "JERKS" got away for everything they stole. EM

I hear ya but the thought of taking it up the butt for the next 15 years in a federal pen over a guitar calms my trigger finger.

I get that, and I'm not saying I'd skin the piece out of macho aggression, but the aggravated circumstances of my taking-back my Les Paul or some other confrontation might have had me find myself requiring a means of self-defense that is more substantial than the perps means of offense that I could have found myself needing to defend myself against... And yes it's still empty bravado...

But that's all speculative scenario nonsense and I actually wholly agree with RCT's thought process...

I'd be far more overcome with my own terror at the thought of someone doing something harmful to my Cats to even notice the Les Paul missing until I'd verified them secure and unharmed... Were I to find they were harmed or simply missing I'd be distraught beyond words and would be spending the entirety of my efforts and energies trying to locate them and insuring their safety and well being...

To stir the debating beast yet again, having said that, were I to find they had been lost, harmed, or worse yet killed, I'd be hard-pressed not to go on a blood-thirsty jihad for vengeance... That I'd possibly kill for...

I'm one of those! I am psycho for my pets, they are my family!

I had a 10 year old Walker Hound stolen from me, just before Christmas one year when I was in my early twenties. It made Christmas suck and made me think I'd never celebrate another one again She was a House-Hound and getting into her senior years, but in such good shape she was mistaken for a young breed-able female. Her Coon-hunting days were long behind her and we had her fixed right after I got her anyway. After searching all the roads for miles looking for her lifeless body and calling every shelter and vet and police force in a conceivable distance and not finding her I became convinced she had been taken when she was let out to roam and hunt the nearby woods that she loved so much as was her daily routine.

I snapped... I literally, no lie, no exaggeration, strapped my .45 ACP on my hip and made the rounds of all the little hole-in-the-wall gin-joints and general stores and hunter gathering spots and made open comments while dropping off my "missing" posters about how I knew her voice explaining her age and the misinformation that she was young and a breeder and that I'll know that voice 'cause she likes to bay in the evening and with Spring coming she'll be sure to start "opening-up" come supper time and that when I hear it I'm gonna go in shootin' first and askin' questions later after I've gotten her back...

The .45 on my hip kept anyone from making comments back at me and left an impression. I was sure I was gonna get a visit from someone in the local constabulary, but instead within a week, right when I took a break from my first set of rounds tellin' folks what I was gonna do when I found her, a local farmer up the street called me up and said he saw a hunter's truck pull up out at the end of one of his fields and let her out and took off having dropped her off in close enough proximity of my home that they figured she'd find her way back and he instead called her over, from seeing my wanted posters on every telephone pole in the county, he knew her, I'd checked-in with him early on in the search, we'd hunted his property a number of times and he was familiar with her, and she went up to him and he put her on a lead in his barn and called me so I could come get her...

It was one of the few happy ending stories I can think of in my life. I actually got her back and she lived to the ripe old age of 17 as my ol' couch-hound... Daisy-May was her name. She was 85 pounds and bred for bear hunting but we'd trained her to hunt 'Coon when she was about a year and a half old and she later became my ol' lop-eared house-hound. She was a sweetheart and as sweet and calm as they come...

I can still hear her voice wafting in a warm summer breeze in the evenings when I think about her when I feel the warm breeze in the twilight of a summer evening brush across my face... I miss ol' Daisy-May!

But I got her back and I cried for 2 days at my fortune that I thought would never happen... I never got a visit from any of the local constabulary for my methods either...

It was clearly some Hilltown hunter (type) that wanted a Hound as spectacular as she was, but didn't figure on my Psycho mission from God to get her back...

You just don't mess with a man's dog! Or his Cats!!! I'd be completely shattered if something were to happen to my Cats!

I'm also alot smarter in my maturity and my methods would be more subtle and possibly more direct but hopefully just as effective these days...

That was before the new gun bans in '98 (probably about 8 years earlier so approx. 1990 or so) so I wasn't facing firarms felonies for my actions at that time and the police were good ol' boys themselves that knew me and understood the score and realized I was right and that I also never drew my firearm in any direct threat and the veiled threat was good enough to get the job done and I always made it clear that my intentions were directed at those responsible and not anyone I was ever speaking with or to when I spoke my schpeel when I was dropping off and putting up my "missing dog" posters... I know I was lucky not to face legal ramifications, but it was a different time and a different rural setting... It was more acceptible, and it happened to have worked...

I understand how lucky I was and that the biggest luck was in my getting her back...

I am eternally grateful and thankful for that miracle and blessing.

If someone breaks into our house and takes all of my guitars and doesn't kill our cats I'll be one happy person. I can replace all of my guitars....

IT'S JUST A GUITAR.

rct

No it's not. Someone breaks into my house and steals my instruments, most of them are irreplaceable. My '73 Strat, my first real guitar, with a few nicks and scratches, the memories of how they happened, the good times had with good people when they happened,, all represented in one guitar. Multiply that by X amount of gits and what you have is something very special, real, and tangable that can't be replaced. I could, if I would be able to get the insurance company to agree in the first place, get another '73 Strat, if I could find one, but it wouldn't be the same.

Losing any of them would hurt.

No it's not. Someone breaks into my house and steals my instruments, most of them are irreplaceable. My '73 Strat, my first real guitar, with a few nicks and scratches, the memories of how they happened, the good times had with good people when they happened,, all represented in one guitar. Multiply that by X amount of gits and what you have is something very special, real, and tangable that can't be replaced. I could, if I would be able to get the insurance company to agree in the first place, get another '73 Strat, if I could find one, but it wouldn't be the same.

Losing any of them would hurt.

I do agree. BUT, I am at the place in life where I have begun to lose the people I went out and did all those things with, had all them great nights and really terrible nights with, recorded really stupid sh1t and stuff we were really proud of with. Two died last year, and I'd gladly give all of the old guitars between us to have them back and go out with a couple of sh1tty 2015 Les Pauls and do it one more time.

rct

rct, you sound like a very easy-going guy. Yes, loss of personal property pales in comparison to the loss of people in our lives. It makes the crime no less heinous however.! We lose people through natural causes usually. We lose material objects due to the disregard of other people. I hate a thief. If a person is to step into my house to harm my family or steal my material possessions, he is "fair game" and subject to whatever the outcome is. This is a tenant of life and respecting one another. If a thief does not care.....I don't either.

Turn the other cheek and you will get bit there also... [scared]

I do agree. BUT, I am at the place in life where I have begun to lose the people I went out and did all those things with, had all them great nights and really terrible nights with, recorded really stupid sh1t and stuff we were really proud of with. Two died last year, and I'd gladly give all of the old guitars between us to have them back and go out with a couple of sh1tty 2015 Les Pauls and do it one more time.

rct

I'm sorry to hear mate, I really am. Being in the same situation I guess I'd also give just about anything to have them back. But a door slams shut, a window flies open. Just think of all your mates here that are here for you.

mp

I'm sorry to hear mate, I really am. Being in the same situation I guess I'd also give just about anything to have them back. But a door slams shut, a window flies open. Just think of all your mates here that are here for you.

mp

Oh I do, we do. And to bring it back around, we'll play Green Grass And High Tides on any guitars laying around, we're just glad we still can.

rct

Oh I do, we do. And to bring it back around, we'll play Green Grass And High Tides on any guitars laying around, we're just glad we still can.

rct

Well, I won't use Kevin's early 80s blue/rosewood Stracaster. I hate that thing. But it's ok, he hates my Tele.

rct

rct

Amen & Amen [thumbup]

rct

Sorry to hear that, but we all must remember, we're only hear for a short time, a blink of the eye in history, here today, gone tomorrow. I often feel, when I'm walking in the ancient city of York, a place that has history oozing from it's streets and wall's that were just more people passing through. We need to live for today because there may be no tomorrow, and don't forget it.

Ian

Right now, I own one guitar.

If someone would break into my home and take it away from me I would,

first go to the police. And knowing that they probably won't find it, I would try to find it myself.

If I would find it I would try first to inform the police so they can get it back for me. In a scenario where thing's get more uhm, let's say complicatet I would take it back myself and then do some mod's on the thief's hand's so he can't steal or play guitar anymore. Good thing is here in spain we are not alowed to carry firearms. So there's less risk that those guy's could shot me down trying to get my guitar back.

In the case that someone breaks into my home and hurt's my pet's or family members, well I think in that case this person/person's should whatch their back's and pray!

you know whether its a guitar,money, valuables whatever their still a low down lousy thief and I have no sympathy for them.

They are pieces of sh*t in my mind...

What would bother me more than anything besides a theft would be them breaking into my house.....totally violated.....

Archived