Gibson Brands Forums

Advice For The Youngsters.

Murph

There are some people on the forums complaining about us "old" dudes. But we have much to offer you young "sniffers"......... I'd be happy to start the........

REAL LIFE GUITAR PLAYER..... 101.

1; All tube amps have smoke in them. Don't let it out.....

2; You can NOT hide ANYTHING in your socks.

3; If the crowd says you're too loud............... YOU'RE TOO LOUD......!

4; A cigarette will NOT cover up beer breath.

5; Having somebody "follow you" home, aint' gonna help you get through that ROADBLOCK.......

6; Wrapping the aluminum foil from the Marlboro pack is not gonna fix that fuse, and is gonna let the smoke out...

7; When you think nobody is looking. Somebody is looking.

I need a beer. You time tested troopers feel free to add advice.

Not that these youngsters can read ENGLISH.................................. (kidding)

Best to ya.

Murph.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learn by listening.

In fact, follow these steps... I still do even though I am no longer young

1 Listen (preferably for an extended period)

2 Think (preferably for an extended period)

3 Speak (preferably in proper English and preferably for a short period)

It's only when you skip steps or do them out of order that bad s**t happens!

Disregard everything this short list of pleople say: Homz, Merph, KfC_Standard

They are extremists and should be ostracized (look it up; it's a big word).

I would also point out that the fact that I am on the list and that I am giving advice is in it's self a 'catch 22' (book reference; metaphor).

I've got nothing. Really' date=' I'm not going to give any of you youngsters any advice. FIGURE IT OUT!

Homz, calling your fellow Loungers "extremists" and advocating that they should be "ostracized" is like the pot calling the kettle black.[/quote']

Hello Pot this is the kettle calling....Duh!

It's a shame, in the Eastern countries they revere age with respect. Trying to learn a trade or skill that can be passed on to another generation. Having been a superviser and on the hiring end of management I'm afraid for our new generation. I've brought people in bragging on themselves on there skills and knowledge and not knowing squat. They always think very highly of themselves untill put in a situation were they have to use such skills. Answer this question if the world were to go and lose technology the way you know it, would you be able to surive? Feed yourself? Clothe yourself? Would you survive or hook up with an old person to teach you how to survive? Ignorance is the lock of the future, Knowledge is the key. So don't disrespect old people learn from them OR Just stay ignorant seems to be the way today. =D>

Respect is earned, not just given to someone based on their age...I've actually learned a lot from the older generation...Being taught how to fix my guitars, build guitars, and how to play the guitar...Other non-musical related subjects as well....The only problem I have is when someone older talks down to someone younger for no real reason except their age....There are a lot of older men and women that are ignorant as well.

Just some observations....

It is awfully hard to get the words back into your mouth.

It’s all good… except for the bad stuff.

Dogs don’t understand clocks.

Babies don’t either.

Buyer’s remorse is best overcome by Buyer Beware.

It ain’t how much ya make; It’s how much ya keep.

Never break two laws at the same time. (i.e. if you’re gonna drink and drive, don’t speed)

You gotta go with what you got.

Take what you will and pass it along.

Is there a point in giving advice to the youngsters? Would you give it a damn to advices when you were youngster?

I wouldn't' date=' on most cases. I though I had the answers back then.[/quote']

Man, from about 14 to 30 I was the smartest SOB I'd ever met. I'm feeling much better now.

Archived