Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid question of the week

btoth76

Hello!

I have got these for my Classic Custom, in black. When I align them, - rolled down - with the pointers at zero, the text on them is off in relation to each other.

reflector_gold_tone.jpg

My rather stupid question is: is it possible the turn the metallic inserts within the plastic knobs somehow? Or worth not trying to force them? Obviously, I don't want to break them.

It's not that important, just to have everything neat on the guitar... :D

Thanks... Bence

I know of no way to get the inserts out without damaging them, they are just very thin stamped anodized aluminum. I believe they are glued in place, and unless the glue gives up on it's own, you'll bend and scratch them trying to pry them out.

These are my favorite Gibson knob, and either came on, or have been fitted to all my Gibsons. I don't recall, or have never noticed, a problem with orientation of the inserts, maybe I'll go check just for fun.

I don't know whether you bought the "Gibson" branded product or a generic, but I have really seen no difference in the two other than some plain-label knobs are made for metric shafts.

The answer to both of the questions you ask is 'No'.

[smile]

Reflectors are plainly a very personal matter. Loads of folks hereabouts love them and even swap-out regular gold bell-knobs for them.

I can't abide them...

P.

Hello Bence,

obviously I'm in need for speed, so I replaced all the others including a dozen reflector knobs for speed knobs. [biggrin] However, like you stated, text and numbering positions seemed to be random on those I removed then, no alignment or clearly preferred orientation.

If it keeps on bothering you too much, I think it's best trying to get some which accidentally match, but take care! They also use different fonts and sizes for the letters, probably due to several suppliers.

Anyway, not all the others, the witch hat knobs on my SG Supra are still there but aren't better in this respect. I just don't care.

Another problem is solved... :)

OK, but just for fun I just checked my three Gibsons which have these knobs.

Two sets have the inserts perfectly aligned, and one set, on a Norlin era Les Paul, is completely random.

...I just checked my three Gibsons which have these knobs....

Two sets have the inserts perfectly aligned, and one set, on a Norlin era Les Paul, is completely random.

Why am I not even remotely surprised to read this?............

P.

I feel with you bro, on mine 3 of them are perfectly aligned ond one is a little bit of, this thing's can drive you crazy if you have a bit of OCD like it is in my case.

Hello Marcos!

You hit the nail on the head! :D

OCD, indeed. Ugly thing to live with.

Cheers... Bence

You know...regarding OCD.

I just moved to a tiny rented flat in the capital. So, for the first few weeks and didn't wanted to take all my instruments with me.

I took only one with me, the L6S, and the rest are left in my house in the countryside.

It has a finish crack. I was so disappointed about it, that I played the guitar less and less. It drove me crazy.

Yesterday night, after arriving from work, I played for an hour or so, then put it on the sofa. I was looking at it, and thinking to myself: what a beautiful guitar...

:D

Sorry for this BS.

Cheers... Bence

I took only one with me, the L6S...It has a finish crack. I was so disappointed about it, that I played the guitar less and less. It drove me crazy.

Yesterday night, after arriving from work, I played for an hour or so, then put it on the sofa. I was looking at it, and thinking to myself: what a beautiful guitar...

:D

That's funny! And good at the same time.

Around a year after I bought my R0 - which (although used) was in absolutely mint condition when I bought it - I noticed this;

Newchecking04.jpg

That was six or seven years ago. Nowadays the weatherchecking is far more advanced.

It's by far and away my #1 go-to and has always had 90%+ of my playtime.

Guitars which get played get signs of having been played and I wouldn't wish it to be any other way.

[smile]

I really should take some new snaps to see what state it's in now...

Pip.

I just moved to a tiny rented flat in the capital. So, for the first few weeks and didn't wanted to take all my instruments with me.

I took only one with me, the L6S, and the rest are left in my house in the countryside.

how's life in the big smoke Bence?

I moved to the countryside a few years back after many years of city living and I don't think I could go back to it.

I do travel to cities regularly and enjoy the short stays but its the country life for me now. I would like to visit Budapest one day though.

I imagine you get more opportunity to visit music shops now though - klangefarbs or whatever it is you have there [thumbup]

all the best with the change.

When I align them, - rolled down - with the pointers at zero, the text on them is off in relation to each other.

Do you play with the pointers at zero? If you use your volume and tone knobs they won't ever be aligned anyway. You should find something else to worry about. :rolleyes:

A non-existing problem might have led Eddie van Halen to the funniest "solution", err, idea ever. The embossings on Fender knobs are nicely aligned but indifferent as can be when using just one. Anyway, the original EVH Wolfgang guitars are featuring a single control for volume with a knob saying TONE [biggrin]

how's life in the big smoke Bence?

I moved to the countryside a few years back after many years of city living and I don't think I could go back to it.

I do travel to cities regularly and enjoy the short stays but its the country life for me now. I would like to visit Budapest one day though.

I imagine you get more opportunity to visit music shops now though - klangefarbs or whatever it is you have there [thumbup]

all the best with the change.

Hello Scales! I didn't give up my house in the countryside, just rented a tiny flat closer to my work. After 8 years of spending 2+2 hours every day on travelling, I got tired. It's a temporary solution, as I am thinking, - well hesitating is the right word - about moving abroad.

But, - thanks for asking - so far, so good.

Shouldn't that be like 47 letters with umalauts and pound signs and stuff?

rct

Hello RCT! No, Hungarian language doesn't have them, except for letter "á", "ó", "ö", "ú", "é".

Ah, a few more: "ő", "ű", and the double/triple letters like "zs", "ny", "dzs" and such.

No "ä", though.

Cheers... Bence

I struggle with the need for "EXCELLENCE" as I had to give up the need for "PERFECTION". That said, you could try a plastic friendly solvent (like WD-40) or similar that doesn't attack plastics. Soak in that and see if the caps will come off and then clean/re-attach. I don't know that it will break down the adhesive that was used but I wouldn't think it would damage the plastic trying. Maybe try some WD on the inside of the knob to see the effects.

Let me know if you try and the results.

Aster

Hello RCT! No, Hungarian language doesn't have them, except for letter "á", "ó", "ö", "ú", "é".

Ah, a few more: "ő", "ű", and the double/triple letters like "zs", "ny", "dzs" and such.

No "ä", though.

Cheers... Bence

I have an American keyboard I can't make those letters.

So it's pronounced "tone" but spelt "dzSnerftsyntole4%9#2". I thought so. Good think they don't make tone knobs in Hungary, they'd be really wide.

rct

So it's pronounced "tone" but spelt "dzSnerftsyntole4%9#2". I thought so. Good think they don't make tone knobs in Hungary, they'd be really wide.

rct

Hello!

Not that bad. Volume is hangerő, tone is hangszín. Often words can be too long, but the main logic behind the word structures is effectively simple.

Breaking down these words, You will arrive to this: hang is sound, erő means strenght, while szín is color.

That's how Ural-Altaji languages are structured. :)

Cheers... Bence

I struggle with the need for "EXCELLENCE" as I had to give up the need for "PERFECTION". That said, you could try a plastic friendly solvent (like WD-40) or similar that doesn't attack plastics. Soak in that and see if the caps will come off and then clean/re-attach. I don't know that it will break down the adhesive that was used but I wouldn't think it would damage the plastic trying. Maybe try some WD on the inside of the knob to see the effects.

Let me know if you try and the results.

Aster

Hello Aster!

No, I don't think I will go that far with this.

As You know, I am educating myself with all aspects of guitar repairs, and this is something I found out on a set of knobs.

Definitely, it's not such a problem that deserves such efforts to be made.

Cheers... Bence

Shouldn't that be like 47 letters with umalauts and pound signs and stuff?

rct

rct

Hello!

Not that bad. Volume is hangerő, tone is hangszín. Often words can be too long, but the main logic behind the word structures is effectively simple.

Breaking down these words, You will arrive to this: hang is sound, erő means strenght, while szín is color.

That's how Ural-Altaji languages are structured. :)

Cheers... Bence

Works without umlauts also in German. When meaning the function of a tone control, we say Ton with a long "o", and the affected property is called Klangfarbe meaning sound colour. No umlauts here, too. :)

Anyway, not all the others, the witch hat knobs on my SG Supra are still there but aren't better in this respect. I just don't care.

In this respect I have to correct myself. The Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs came with witch hat knobs, too. They are still there and also of mediocre alignment. Frank Zappa himself temporarily had black/silver reflector knobs on his one of a kind original.

Archived