Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson quality

Mickthemiller

fAKE rEVIEWS

There is an organized effort by that bunch against Gibson. You can see their efforts are organized on the reviews for this Gibson product.

You are a perfect example of a Gibson apologist.

Take off your tinfoil hat about the evil organization you are referencing. Look at the reviews you poster as FAKE because I do not think you did. They are many months to many years apart.

WOW what a conspiracy to keep from being noticed. Post negative reviews 15 months apart, we will never be noticed. Well except for Zentar..

You also say it is OK to replace the G Force on your 3k guitar with new tuners at an additional expense? Another example of a Gibson apologist as Gibson can't do any wrong in your eyes. BY the way, $150 for a Gforce on Ebay?? LOL. You will be lucky to get $50 but more then likely it will sit in your drawer forever.

[confused](there are many on this forum)

I agree that some complaining is rather stupid such as the 2014 fretboard inlay or the Les Paul signature on the 2015s and even the G Force. But those issues are not workmanship flaws and should not be used lumped into the same category as poor workmanship.

Zentar, Are you are a Gibson plant [confused]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are a perfect example of a Gibson apologist.

Take off your tinfoil hat about the evil organization you are referencing. Look at the reviews you poster as FAKE because I do not think you did. They are many months to many years apart.

WOW what a conspiracy to keep from being noticed. Post negative reviews 15 months apart, we will never be noticed. Well except for Zentar..

You also say it is OK to replace the G Force on your 3k guitar with new tuners at an additional expense? Another example of a Gibson apologist as Gibson can't do any wrong in your eyes. BY the way, $150 for a Gforce on Ebay?? LOL. You will be lucky to get $50 but more then likely it will sit in your drawer forever.

[confused](there are many on this forum)

I agree that some complaining is rather stupid such as the 2014 fretboard inlay or the Les Paul signature on the 2015s and even the G Force. But those issues are not workmanship flaws and should not be used lumped into the same category as poor workmanship.

Zentar, Are you are a Gibson plant [confused]

If you want to call me a plant I'll gladly accept your compliment. I want Gibson to stay in business and I want their employees to keep their jobs.

Good example of Gibson bashing.

A good example of gibson bashing would probably sound a lot like this,, gibson guitars suck, gibson guitars are over rated, gibsons are a waste of money, gibsons don't even sound that good, gibsons have a awesome brass nut hahaha... Actually I can't even bash the brass but cause I've never had a guitar with a brass nut, nor have I played one haha.. My point is I had flaws on a limited run guitar, it should be up to par.. I don't hate gibsons... Far from it actually.. I do wanna hear more about these organized groups that do bash gibson lol,, they should have their own section in the form to bash away .. Just so you all know I'm kiddin.. It's all in good fun lol

Owned a fair few 2nd hand Gibsons over the years, (standard, studio and a Goldtop reissue). All really nice guitars. Judging by the Gibbo bashing always assumed the previous owners must have sorted out the flaws, I never had any issues. I have owned high end jap stuff, (SG2000, Greco, Tokai, Orville, Burny), so I can make an informed decision.

Fancied a new one a few weeks back and fancied (don't laugh) the gforce. Went to look at a 2015 Junior. What shocked me was the high quality. Straight of the wall was wonderful. No flaws, set up perfect etc etc. After all I heard assumed I got lucky. Tried a few others out. All of them were top notch.

The other thing is the price. Cost me £520.00 and that included a hard case. Now that is not expensive. Yes, its a junior not a custom, but £520? Great guitar, good value.

I like Gibson. And no, not an employee!

Bob

I just heard from my dealer, in Wichita, that (according to their Gibson Rep) Gibson is going BACK,

to 2012 Spec's on most Iconic models, with only a few having the G-Force, Brass nut, and wider neck!

But most will return to 2012 spec's! IF that's true, that's Great news!

My dealer told me, it was a "Dismal" sales year, for Gibson products, there...compared to previous

years! So, I guess we're not the only ones, that aren't "thrilled" with the 2015 model year changes

"improvements!"

Time will tell!

CB

The guy who posted that info on mylespaul.com also posted specs. When pressed about it he said he made it all up. So what is the truth about this rumor?

The guy who posted that info on mylespaul.com also posted specs. When pressed about it he said he made it all up. So what is the truth about this rumor?

cjsinla...All "I" know, is what my dealer told me, and all they know (at this point) is what their Gibson sales rep, told them!

So...??? As I said, originally..."Time will tell!" [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I think there are too many factors involved for this question. I'm sure the quality control varied throughout the years because of ownership of the company etc. I just bought an 89 Les Paul

And have been doing a lot of research and found out Bill Lawrence was head of quality control at the time and was passionate about putting out only the highest quality instruments. So like I said before there are too many variables to this question.

cjsinla...All "I" know, is what my dealer told me, and all they know (at this point) is what their Gibson sales rep, told them!

So...??? As I said, originally..."Time will tell!" [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I, for one, truly hope they return to 2012 specs, or any other than 2015. But just my opinion.

I did not have trouble with my GForce- just did not like it. AND- it's really not as easy as getting rid of the GForce units and replacing them with other, "standard" tuning machines. In my case, with my '15 LP Junior, I had the Grover Roto machine heads put in place of the GForce. Problem was, the original brass nut that was on the guitar had slots cut in such a way that the strings did not settle or "rest" correctly. I did more winds on the tuners thinking that it would be enough to cause the strings break angle to be steeper and to seat. It did- all except for the "G" string, which sat about halfway up the slot even after 4 to5 winds (yeah it was getting crowded on that tuner post!). The new nut Gibson sent, chrome plated brass I believe, had "steeper" notches cut and the strings seated fine.

All this to say that for someone like me, who prefers a traditional tuning / nut combo, it's a lotta B.S. to go through to get to original spec. I sold that guitar and my '08 SG special and used some of the proceeds to get my 2000 LP Studio- which is great in every way, for me.

As far as the string spacing / high E too close to fretboard edge? For Pete's sake- make a minor adjustment at the bridge / saddles to correct it! Seems Gibson could have done this easily, but then, I'm no engineer.

Brian

As far as the string spacing / high E too close to fretboard edge? For Pete's sake- make a minor adjustment at the bridge / saddles to correct it! Seems Gibson could have done this easily, but then, I'm no engineer.

Brian

Hello Brian!

I have heard about this a couple of times, but - to be honest - I never noticed it.

Which models are affected by this?

Thanks... Bence

Brian

Im pretty sure I have the same issue on my 2014 Custom, I just assumed it was cause the neck was significantly thicker that it changed the way I held the neck and It made it easy for the high E string to fall off the fretboard while im playing the high E string.. Could be just the way im holding the thicker neck when I play.. Or its another simple case of Gibson bashing lol..

Hello Brian!

I have heard about this a couple of times, but - to be honest - I never noticed it.

Thanks... Bence

I had that problem on my 2013 Signature T...I replaced the corian nut with a Graph Tech one and I biased the low E side just a little..

Problem solved..... [thumbup]

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/115117-graph-tech-saddles-nut/page__p__1558908__fromsearch__1#entry1558908

Brian

I had that problem on second and third fret I could pull string off fret board....bridge and saddle will not fix...nut needs to be moved a little to low E side.....

Yes, I find little spots/problems, too. Like on every mass product, I suppose.

First, in my ex 2005 Les Paul Premium Plus, the frets weren't leveled with the binding edge, so there was a little step between the fret's surface and the binding. Plus, a not perfect binding workmanship. Don't know how much that model would cost in USA, but I bought it used from a shop for 1500€ (1656 nowaday's dollars).

On my actual 2007 1958 Reissue I can see some blemishes with the nitro finish on the binding, and the binding itself; on the Flying V faded I recently purchased (used), slight problems with the holly veneer finish (where the veneer meets the wood).

They're all minor things, but they make me a little bored because they're on some k €-instrument. Nothing comparable to a wrong bridge asset, or poor fret leveling, though..

Hello Brian!

Thanks... Bence

Hi Bence!

Those folks answered your question better than I could. I should have qualified my statement by saying that in reading the literature on why Gibson widened the neck- they stated to alleviate the string spacing problem, providing more 'real estate' as it were on the playing surface.. I have read here especially when first joining and "doing research" that a complaint that came up enough for me to notice, was the high E string "problem".

I'm just noting that, in the scheme of things, seems easier to me to alter the machining to create more "space" at the bridge or nut parts, than the machining that mills the whole neck.

I AM NOT bashing Gibson! I love them and the folks here.

Brian

NOTE: Pre 2014 Circa 1994 Thin/Slim Taper Neck = RARE!!

0550bb1c-f4dc-460c-90a0-0133f9b5e9e2.jpg

Makes the older ones worth a Premium.. Keep it up Gibson..

Need to go ahead & order some spare parts before they go like Parker, Washburn, Hamer, Ovation etc.

I mean even using a Schaller Roller Bridge with adjustable string spacing would have solved the problem OR when the slots are filed?

I've always bent UP on the high strings & DOWN on the low ones where applicable to prevent the strings from being stretched off the fretboard, Am I the only one who does this? Maybe because I started on Bass I learned wrong.. I doubt it!!

NOTE: Pre 2014 Circa 1994 Thin/Slim Taper Neck = RARE!!

0550bb1c-f4dc-460c-90a0-0133f9b5e9e2.jpg

Makes the older ones worth a Premium.. Keep it up Gibson..

Need to go ahead & order some spare parts before they go like Parker, Washburn, Hamer, Ovation etc.

I mean even using a Schaller Roller Bridge with adjustable string spacing would have solved the problem OR when the slots are filed?

I've always bent UP on the high strings & DOWN on the low ones where applicable to prevent the strings from being stretched off the fretboard, Am I the only one who does this? Maybe because I started on Bass I learned wrong.. I doubt it!!

Nah! I learned the same as you Bro! It just makes sense! You bend in the direction that has the most 'real estate'!

I think the problem probably was that the high E was close enough to the edge that anything less than precise fretting might lead to slipping off. I had this problem with a particular Tele I had. After all these years I still occassionally bend notes slightly sharp or flat, depending on what I'm doing / how fast I'm playing. Particularly if I'm playing an .09 set- as I am recently. Operator error on my part-not mechanical problem!

Brian

I think the problem probably was that the high E was close enough to the edge that anything less than precise fretting might lead to slipping off.

I believe that's the problem, simple slides am pull offs lead to the high e string falling off the neck... Also aside from my complaints im in the market for a les paul traditional... im lookin for a honey burst and im excited to see the quality of the guitar,, 3rd ones a charm haha... ill be sure to let the forum know every detail of the guitar once I find one!!

I had that problem on second and third fret I could pull string off fret board....bridge and saddle will not fix...nut needs to be moved a little to low E side.....

Hello!

I have measured the 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom and the 2010 Fender FSR Tele, yesterday.

The high-E string's distance from the fretboard edge at third fret:

- Classic Custom: 5/32"

- Tele: 4/32"

Still, I never heard such complaints about Fenders.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

I have measured the 2011 Gibson LP Classic Custom and the 2010 Fender FSR Tele, yesterday.

The high-E string's distance from the fretboard edge at third fret:

- Classic Custom: 5/16"

- Tele: 4/16"

Still, I never heard such complaints about Fenders.

Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence-

I'm at work so obviously can't measure. You are a knowledgable and accurate guy, but...wow...the Tele has a quarter inch space and the Gibson a 16th more than that??!! I'd have NEVER guessed that! Seems a lot to me!

Again, I've be fortunate- I haven't personally had these problems. I briefly owned a 52 RI (Tele) that the high E was very close to the edge (good album title, that!)but other than that, I've experienced no problems in the spacing arena.

Thanks!

Brian

Sorry Brian!

Those are 32s, of course.

I just can't get along well with the English system.

So, the Tele has less space. Out of curiosity I will measure the rest of my guitars too.

Cheers... Bence

The current change in fret board width is mind blowing. After 60 years why change? There had to have been guys fist fighting over whether or not to change by 2mm.

The test will be if we see it in next years line up.

As a side note I have a project Telecaster guitar I played around with by Squier that had a neck 2mm narrower than my genuine Strat or 1982 Fender Bullet. Believe me when I say 2mm is a lot in any direction on a fret board. Why did the Chinese build a neck 2mm narrower? What is this thing in the guitar world about the 2mm distance?

Archived