Gibson Brands Forums

New SG Standard.... comes with a gig bag???

Rabs

• 3 weeks later...

Within the next couple week I am going to buy a new 2016 Standard T SG. I'll likely order this case for it:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GPESGTSA

I have to admit IMO the guitar should come with standard with a hard case

Good luck with that if you like your SG slipping and sliding around inside the case. I tried MANY cases including two different Gator cases made for SG's (including the one you're considering buying) and none of them fit my SG's properly without slippage and slop inside. The Gator cases also left a concerning gap under the guitar where the neck joint isJ putting to much stress in this area I'm my opinion. You'd have to reinforce and modify the gator case to made it fit any SG correctly, something I thought was absurd given its a new case made specifically for an SG. I just ended up eventually finding a used but mint 'Gibson USA' hardshell case off of Craigslist and paid under $100 for it, not the $199 they cost new. This Gator cases look nice but the fit was not inspiring.

"I tried MANY cases including two different Gator cases made for SG's (including the one you're considering buying)

and none of them fit my SG's properly without slippage and slop inside."

Interesting! [confused]:-k All my 2013 SG's came with cases, and they ALL fit, snugly, inside! No movement, whatsoever.

So, I wonder what "Gibson" or their case makers did, or are doing, differently? And, Why???

CB

"I tried MANY cases including two different Gator cases made for SG's (including the one you're considering buying)

and none of them fit my SG's properly without slippage and slop inside."

Interesting! [confused]:-k All my 2013 SG's came with cases, and they ALL fit, snugly, inside! No movement, whatsoever.

So, I wonder what "Gibson" or their case makers did, or are doing, differently? And, Why???

CB

I never said that the Gibson cases had any issues. Go back and actually read what I wrote. I'll explain it again:

The Gibson cases are wonderful. As you have said, they fit SG's perfectly. I have a 2008 SG Classic and a 2013 SG Standard and won't put my SG's in anything other than Gibson branded cases. The thing about the gator cases are I feel it puts a lit of unnecessary stress on the neck joint because it leaves a big open space under the body just below where the neck and body meet, making it seem like the joint is what's supporting the case. Not good. It's a tough pill to swallow to pay $199 for the Gibson cases. The new cases with the grey lining that say "Gibson Gear" on the outside although they fit perfectly just don't seem up to par regarding quality of the 'older' cases that say "Gibson USA" that either have the regular tolex or black sort of reptile print tolex and white lining.

CB

Same here. All of my original Gibson SG cases from 1978 to 2013 are fine. [thumbup]

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Things have changed since 2015.

They have because my SG had defective electronics. My Less Paul is stunning and I’ve had her for a month and the sound is cutting out. Easy fix for the luthier but for $3900 it should be  flawless. So I got a case but the Gibson quality isn’t quite as dependable as it used to be.

Edited by Michellefino
Typo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Michellefino said:

My SG and my Les Paul were shipped to the dealer in hard cases. Beautiful cases. That’s where the registration and pictures were... inside the case. I’m getting ready to buy a Martin acoustic and am hoping it will also come with a custom case.

Your Martin will come in a molded hard case, Martin branded.  These cases are made by TKL from their Concept line.    Same construction materials as used on Gibson's 2015 hardcase, but with a plush interior and fit tight. 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arcticsg said:

Your Martin will come in a molded hard case, Martin branded.  These cases are made by TKL from their Concept line.    Same construction materials as used on Gibson's 2015 hardcase, but with a plush interior and fit tight. 😉

Just got home with her! You’re right! 

78B24720-0D5F-46CF-8A6C-00169E314B9B.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 7:12 AM, Big Bill said:

Things have changed since 2015.

Yes! i got a 2016 SG P90s with a gig bag and i love it! im glad the gig bag didnt stop me cuz that is the best damn SG i've ever played! its stored in the gig bag when not being played since 2017 and the neck hasn't moved enough to need an adjustment 😎 i love that thing

*Edit: i named her Cherry Bomb, cuz it rocks!

Edited by FemmeParallell
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, FemmeParallell said:

im glad the gig bag didnt stop me cuz that is the best damn SG i've ever played!

Glad it's been kicking *** for you. Sometime its a pisser when a guitar come with a gig bag, but you can always buy a case for it if you feel you really need one. It wasn't to long ago that it was hard to get Gibson case by separately, now you can pick one from anywhere,.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Glad it's been kicking *** for you. Sometime its a pisser when a guitar come with a gig bag, but you can always buy a case for it if you feel you really need one. It wasn't to long ago that it was hard to get Gibson case by separately, now you can pick one from anywhere,.

i know what you mean! seeing such a beauty rest in a bag, but yes, i will look for a case cuz she deserves it 😄