Gibson Brands Forums

New SG Standard.... comes with a gig bag???

Rabs

Ridiculously stupid.

I could see it for a value based SG model - but a Standard!?!?

Taking a guitar to a gig in a "gig bag" is begging for a broken neck.

If Gibson is trying to keep the price down, at least make the case an option on the order - so the buyer can choose gigbag or case.

I don't know.

As far as I am concerned, ALL good guitars come with a case, because that's what you tell the salesman selling it to you that you need.

Guitar Center, at least, they have a policy of separating the case from the guitar anyway. At least they used to. So you have to get down to it no matter what.

Cases have gotten more expensive. I think the "appropriate" case for these guitars is a 300 dollar case. I think the 2015 cases are like 100 dollar cases. Both work just as good, in my humble (for a guitarist) opinion.

Maybe it's a favor to all of us, that the buyer now has to make a decision, what case do you want, and how much do you want to pay for it?

I don't actually know what I am talking about. Perhaps it's more a matter that Gibson has just allowed the practice of dealers setting a MAP without the case, and nothing has changed as far as what Gibson ships.

Guitars come with a case, that's how we thought, that's how it was. I got really p1ssed off when they first started separating the case from the American guitar. Like, 20 years ago.

rct

Yup.

Still that way with me (though it's been a good 6 or 8 years sinse I bought anything).

Been a couple times where the deal was done, ready to go, even card swiped, where it all starts over because it ain't happening without the case.

And they look at me like I'M crazy.

every Gibson should have a hard case especially a standard!!! (one of the things I think they did right in 2015)

I tend to agree with you... they did get that part right, this past model year.

I work on catalogue pages every day, and I am often surprised by which guitars come with a case included, and which ones get a gig bag—and which ones don't get anything at all. I'd think any guitar over $600.00 would get a case. Cheaper ones, a gig bag....

But some guitars that cost under a grand get a case, while others at the same price point get a gig bag. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the criteria, and no brand is exempt from the inconsistency.

On the other hand, guitars that cost well over a grand will always come with a case—as they damn well better!

• Like 1

I was just reading this thread.....

SHOCKING!!!!! every Gibson should have a hard case especially a standard!!! (one of the things I think they did right in 2015)

http://www.marshallforum.com/guitars/83877-ngd-2016-gibson-i-think-henry-playing-joke-us.html

I thought everyone wanted everything to return to the 2013 2014 specs..? Guess not. [-(

In the UK 2015 SG's went for about £1,150 - £1369 on average and the 2016's are listed at £779 in UK money on US sites at the moment. I think it's a good price and if you want a hard case just buy one from Thomann for just over £100. For around £900 that's still cheaper than the 2014/ 2015 SG's (when not in a sale). I guess when/ if the price goes up to RRP it may not be such a good deal though.

• Like 1

I thought everyone wanted everything to return to the 2013 2014 specs..? Guess not. [-(

Nope.. I never said that... (maybe other people have)

I said that I didn't like the wide necks (the biggest issue to me) and that the robot tuners should be a choice...

And I do think every Gibson should come with a hardcase just for shipping protection... I just think for any nice guitar its worth the bit extra for protection....

In fact if they have actually totally dumped the G-Force I think that will be ridiculous after all this effort on Gibsons part... I don't hate on anything... its just my personal preference.... it was just all about choice.....

Well now you have the choice of wether or not to spring for a case. 😊

With the boxes Gibson uses to ship there's no need for a case. I already have all the cases I want. A les paul case an SG case and two bass cases. I'd hate to be forced...FORCED!!! to buy a hard case that I don't need or want.

With the boxes Gibson uses to ship there's no need for a case. I already have all the cases I want. A les paul case an SG case and two bass cases. I'd hate to be forced...FORCED!!! to buy a hard case that I don't need or want.

Well this is true...

And the prices certainly seem to reflect that "choice" option :)

I still think a Standard level guitar should come with a case though.... such beautiful guitars I cant help but feel that?

And yes, im a silly guitarist [rolleyes] (its a burden ;))

I kinda agree, although I personally want a case for each guitar.

The other thing though, is it levels the playing field to some degree as what prices are advertised. We don't think about it, but sometimes those "competitive" advertised prices are WITHOUT a case even though Gibson may have shipped it with the guitar.

Well this is true...

And the prices certainly seem to reflect that "choice" option :)

I still think a Standard level guitar should come with a case though.... such beautiful guitars I cant help but feel that?

And yes, im a silly guitarist [rolleyes] (its a burden ;))

Agree also. But how much SHOULD we want to spend on a case?

Cases can get expensive. Those "Cali girl" cases, or even the black ones, can cost as much as 400 bucks. "COST" on that could be as much as 200? 250? or maybe 150? Compared to a molded case that's half that.

That can have a serious effect on the price of the guitar.

IF a guitar comes with a case, like it or not, separate or not, you are stuck with that price of whatever case being part of the guitar. At the extreme, a $1000 guitar with a $400 case attached to it is a $1400 guitar, OR leaves a dealer with a $400 case to unload if they want to sell the guitar for 1k.

Personally, I would rather decide myself what case is "appropriate" for the guitar and be able to choose how much I want to spend for it.

On the flip side, if most guitars are shipped with cases, (especially if they are the nicer $400 cases), chances are much better I'm gonna get that case for cost when I buy the guitar.

Agreed. My 2005 SG Special came with a gig bag, and the first thing I did was to get a hard case. SG's are so delicate that it's just not worth taking the risk. Feeling a bit guilty though, in that I did buy a Gibson HSC. Mainly 'cos I knew for sure it would fit, but that's no excuse!

Agreed. My 2005 SG Special came with a gig bag, and the first thing I did was to get a hard case. SG's are so delicate that it's just not worth taking the risk. Feeling a bit guilty though, in that I did buy a Gibson HSC. Mainly 'cos I knew for sure it would fit, but that's no excuse!

Ain't nothing to feel guilty about.

You wanted a case, and you bought the one you wanted.

Me, I like Gibson cases. Partial to the expensive ones, myself. Just don't like paying for them. So I take what I can get.