Gibson Brands Forums

New SG Standard.... comes with a gig bag???

Rabs

Well now you have the choice of wether or not to spring for a case. 😊

With the boxes Gibson uses to ship there's no need for a case. I already have all the cases I want. A les paul case an SG case and two bass cases. I'd hate to be forced...FORCED!!! to buy a hard case that I don't need or want.

I see what you did there.

I'd rather that it didn't come with a gig bag either. Knock off another $30 or so, case is extra, and off you go. Maybe include a cardboard Gibson stencil so fans can spray paint the logo on their own case or something.

I like a hard case when I store a guitar under the bed. I like a bag when I need to carry the guitar and an amp. Several of my guitars sit on a stand and never see their cases anyway.

Several of my guitars sit on a stand and never see their cases anyway.

In the olden days when someone bought an SG you could pretty much bet that guitar would be in a bar next weekend, so a case was not only a good idea, it was the norm. Not so much anymore, for a long time now. Guitars are just another shiny Christmas present.

rct

In the olden days when someone bought an SG you could pretty much bet that guitar would be in a bar next weekend, so a case was not only a good idea, it was the norm. Not so much anymore, for a long time now. Guitars are just another shiny Christmas present.

rct

Yea, but I no longer play in bars (or hardly at all, for that matter).

If you want to give me a Christmas present, I certainly would have no objections AT ALL to a new SG.

Sans case, even. I will not look the gift horse in the mouth. Promise.

I was excited and ready to order when I saw a SG Standard with P90s. Until I saw the standards come with a gig bag. Sure I can buy my own case, but I have expectations that I receive a hardcase when buying a standard. The perceived value of a SG standard is reduced. I also have a concern about not storing and shipping in a hardcase. Guess I'll go back to hunting for that 2009 SG standard with hardcase.

I was excited and ready to order when I saw a SG Standard with P90s. Until I saw the standards come with a gig bag. Sure I can buy my own case, but I have expectations that I receive a hardcase when buying a standard. The perceived value of a SG standard is reduced. I also have a concern about not storing and shipping in a hardcase. Guess I'll go back to hunting for that 2009 SG standard with hardcase.

Why wouldn't you just get the case when you get the guitar?

I am sure that whoever is going to sell the guitar will have a case for it. There is NO reason why you should feel forced to buy a new guitar without one, just because it says "no case".

Just make it part of the deal...find out what they have, and how much the guitar will be with this case or that. Simple.

Well lets see...

The 2014 SG Standard comes with a case and sells right now for $1,899.00

The 2015 SG Standard comes with a case and sells all day long for $1,597

The 2016 SG Standard comes with no case and sells right now for $1,199.00... But you'll have to buy your own $170 case.. if you want one.

Why does life have to be so hard..? (guitar players are silly...) [rolleyes]

• Like 1

Well lets see...

The 2014 SG Standard comes with a case and sells right now for $1,899.00

The 2015 SG Standard comes with a case and sells all day long for $1,597

The 2016 SG Standard comes with no case and sells right now for $1,199.00... But you'll have to buy your own $170 case.. if you want one.

Why does life have to be so hard..? (guitar players are silly...) [rolleyes]

this.

My SG is a 2011. I bought it new, and I'm pretty sure I paid more than $1,199 + $170 for it.

this.

My SG is a 2011. I bought it new, and I'm pretty sure I paid more than $1,199 + $170 for it.

I'm sure you did. The 2016 SG Standard is extremely inexpensive even if you have buy your own case.

I blame Henry Derangment Syndrome for the unending quest to find ways to b1tch about every single model year...

I'm sure you did. The 2016 SG Standard is extremely inexpensive even if you have buy your own case.

I blame Henry Derangment Syndrome for the unending quest to find ways to b1tch about every single model year...

Ha! To be honest I haven't been excited or happy about any new model year since 1903 when the harp guitar came out and let me tell you, trying to find a case for that ain't no walk in the park people [lol]

http://www.harpguitars.net/history/gibson/gibson2.htm

• Haha 1

Ha! To be honest I haven't been excited or happy about any new model year since 1903 when the harp guitar came out and let me tell you, trying to find a case for that ain't no walk in the park people [lol]

http://www.harpguita...son/gibson2.htm

I had to make my own out of plywood and an old sofa that someone left out at the curb.

I think they must have owned a lot of cats.

My 2013 SG Standard came stock with a hardshell case. That was when they started getting pricey, but scored mine for under $800 new when GC was blowing out the 2013's to make room for the 2014's. For 2016 Gibson announced lower prices and changes based on the hate for the 2015 specs, robot tuners, etc., and are trying to convince the general public that they are really trying to give the public what they really want. Unfortunately, I really don't think any SG belongs in a gig bag, given that it's probably the most 'fragile' Gibosn out there. Also think it's lame they got rid of the '57 Classic pickups and went to shallower bevels on the cutaways. At first I thought Gibson was really listening to the general public, but think they are just cheating out again and cutting corners, only leading us to believe they are really listening to us.

Taking a guitar to a gig in a "gig bag" is begging for a broken neck.

17 degree headstock + gig bag = broken headstock.

It's not a matter of 'maybe'. It's a matter of 'when'.

I always looked at a gig bag as being a bit of an insult as in the guitar isn't really good enough to merit a real case.

An SG Standard is not a piece of crap guitar, it deserves better than a complimentary gig bag.

For what they cost there's no good reason to not include a hard case

... Unfortunately, I really don't think any SG belongs in a gig bag, given that it's probably the most 'fragile' Gibosn out there. Also think it's lame they got rid of the '57 Classic pickups and went to shallower bevels on the cutaways. ...

There are three Fender gig bags in the closet here. I bought a hardcase for any instrument coming without one. I also prefer instruments without any cover at all stock over paying a gig bag I neither like nor use.

• Like 1

There are three Fender gig bags in the closet here. I bought a hardcase for any instrument coming without one. I also prefer instruments without any cover at all stock over paying a gig bag I neither like nor use.

There's a difference between putting a Fender and a Gibosn in a gig bag. A Fender is basically indestructible and can survive just fine in a gig bag, an SG, not so much.

There's a difference between putting a Fender and a Gibosn in a gig bag. A Fender is basically indestructible and can survive just fine in a gig bag, an SG, not so much.

Of course it can be seen this way. However, I don't want to put any guitar or bass to the test.

• Like 1

Of course it can be seen this way. However, I don't want to put any guitar or bass to the test.

I have 100% confidence putting any of my Teles in a gigbag and having no problem sleeping at night. My SG's, not so much. Like the old saying goes, we keep Telecasters in their cases to protect all the other guitars!

I feel your sentiment.

I think cases are a necessity from a "storage" aspect. Cases stack, and at times, get stacked on. 3 or 4 guitars in bags, that's a pain.

That applies to Fenders. For Gibbys, or acoustics, not a chance. Would never store on in a bag.

I have actually gigged with "gig bags", (Fenders, of corse), even as there was a case for the guitar left at home. There are handy that way. But that's small gigs, or jams, or band practice, etc.

But ain't toured, with is more like moving. that calls for cases.