Gibson Brands Forums

Joe B gets not one but THREE sig models

Rabs

I count two: one just has the option of a Bigsby.

Nope... two different models... thus a $2000 price difference :o

One says based on his sig model, one says exact specifications to his model.

($2000 for a bigsby and a signature <_< )

Nope... two different models... thus a $2000 price difference :o

One says based on his sig model, one says exact specifications to his model.

($2000 for a bigsby and a signature <_< )

I see.

One says "a player", and the other "to his exact specs.."...(paraphrased).

But what I didn't read (cause it wasn't writ), was what's the DIFFERENCE besides the Bigsby? Or rather, what of his 'exact specs' vs 'player'?

And actually, the page doesn't really say all that much anyway. I'm all for a Custom shop '60 repro/reissue costing about 3-4 cake, but it's not really clear if it is in the same category, or exactly WHAT category it is.

But what I didn't read (cause it wasn't writ), was what's the DIFFERENCE besides the Bigsby? Or rather, what of his 'exact specs' vs 'player'?

Perhaps one has tomato soup in the weight relief holes, the other one doesn't 8-[

I see.

And actually, the page doesn't really say all that much anyway. I'm all for a Custom shop '60 repro/reissue costing about 3-4 cake, but it's not really clear if it is in the same category, or exactly WHAT category it is.

I agree its a bit weird...

Ive been through all the specs.. and as far as I can tell the ONLY difference is that with the more expensive one you get a bigsby, a hand signed pickguard and a hand signed case... That really seems to be it.. Apart from that they are exactly the same (well from the info given anyway).

I guess they just both come under "artist model" which is what ever the artist asks for it to be.

That's too bad. Everyone knows blue guitars are evil and must be burned.

Epiphone have got a green JB signature; which technically I guess makes 4 signature LP's, even though I've never seen JB with an Epi...

N_090115A3.jpg

And now I've read up on both of the "Soup Bursts"...some criticisms...

What signature have they based this off of, exactly? The Goldtop he had a few years back?

What's with the SD pickups; doesn't he have signature of those, too?

When has he played a guitar that colour?!

H'e plays vintage LP's almost exclusively, yet this one has modern weight relief?

ZAMAK metals on a Custom Shop, seriously not going with the proper aluminium tail?

Generally; what the f**k, Gibson? (rant over)

Also, does anyone know what these SP1-A and SP1-B headstock designations are about? And when Gibson started joining the neck at 5 degrees (I thought it was 3?)

And now I've read up on both of the "Soup Bursts"...some criticisms...

What signature have they based this off of, exactly? The Goldtop he had a few years back?

What's with the SD pickups; doesn't he have signature of those, too?

When has he played a guitar that colour?!

H'e plays vintage LP's almost exclusively, yet this one has modern weight relief?

ZAMAK metals on a Custom Shop, seriously not going with the proper aluminium tail?

Generally; what the f**k, Gibson? (rant over)

Also, does anyone know what these SP1-A and SP1-B headstock designations are about? And when Gibson started joining the neck at 5 degrees (I thought it was 3?)

Hmm, I think its more of a case of sometimes an artist wants a new guitar with certain specs and Gibson decide to cash in on that (or maybe if the artist agrees to go sign a few they get their guitars for free?)....

Donno how that all works really... But not every signature model is based on an already famous guitar some are just designed in conjunction with players for limited runs for which they can charge all that much more..

Specs say nine-hole aka Swiss Cheese weight relief.

As far as I know, apart from 1952 to 1954, Les Paul neck angles have always been 4° or 5°.

They called the pegheads SP-1 (small) and SP-2 (big) since decades. Don't know about the "B" though.

ZAMAK parts won't match the pre-1958 imperial-sized threads.

Hmm, I think its more of a case of sometimes an artist wants a new guitar with certain specs and Gibson decide to cash in on that (or maybe if the artist agrees to go sign a few they get their guitars for free?)....

Donno how that all works really... But not every signature model is based on an already famous guitar some are just designed in conjunction with players for limited runs for which they can charge all that much more..

5% of dealer cost in my day, so allowing for inflation, probably still 5% of dealer cost.

Remember, dealer cost. Bigger the dealer lower the dealer cost. Nobody is getting free guitars or rich offa signature guitars.

rct

Specs say nine-hole aka Swiss Cheese weight relief.

As far as I know, apart from 1952 to 1954, Les Paul neck angles have always been 4° or 5°.

They called the pegheads SP-1 (small) and SP-2 (big) since decades. Don't know about the "B" though.

ZAMAK parts won't match the pre-1958 imperial-sized threads.

Asked and answered; cheers fellas. Filling in the knowledge gap! msp_biggrin.gif

Archived