Gibson Brands Forums

Packaging!

Digger

I've had a Led Lenser torch for a while and it failed under warranty. No problems there as the retailer replaced it under warranty. Now the torch comes packed in a "blister" set up with a lever and reflector to test the torch, plus spare batteries. It's quite a set-up!

So at first I tried kitchen scissors and found it impossible to cut through the packaging. Took it up to the shed and tried heavier scissors to no avail. Tried tinsnips, nope couldn't cut the packaging at all!

After trying a variety of tools I ended up using a saw! You know designed for wood, not bloody cardboard! Even then it was hard to get through the packaging.

I can't believe how difficult this process was.

The second comment I want to make is how much unnecessary packaging things that we buy. I long for the days when we goy our purchases in a stiff brown paper bag! Half the stuff in rubbish bins is useless plastic or cardboard that costs us extra on the products we buy.

Frankly it drives me mad!

I feel your pain, Digger. I've b itched and moaned for years that some of the simpler things in life are blister packed like they were nuclear waste! What a PITA it is to open some things! I've read where a hand held kitchen can opener is a good device to open some of the blister packed stuff (use it on the edges) but I've never been able to "seal the deal" (or is it UNseal the deal?) so to speak. In the interim, my utility knife serves the purpose, just hoping I don't take off a finger trying to open some batteries, or similar item LOL.

I feel your pain, Digger. I've b itched and moaned for years that some of the simpler things in life are blister packed like they were nuclear waste! What a PITA it is to open some things! I've read where a hand held kitchen can opener is a good device to open some of the blister packed stuff (use it on the edges) but I've never been able to "seal the deal" (or is it UNseal the deal?) so to speak. In the interim, my utility knife serves the purpose, just hoping I don't take off a finger trying to open some batteries, or similar item LOL.

Problem is that all the can openers these days are Chinese garbage and don't open some of the cans, not sure about packaging at all.

I'm thinking about going to a second hand joint to buy and old electric opener ...Can-O-Matic?

Bubble wrap popping....Grin~

Actually taking on board what you are saying, I should have got my Leatherman out as the serrated blade on that might have done the job??

Problem is that all the can openers these days are Chinese garbage and don't open some of the cans, not sure about packaging at all.

I'm thinking about going to a second hand joint to buy and old electric opener ...Can-O-Matic?

Bubble wrap popping....Grin~

Actually taking on board what you are saying, I should have got my Leatherman out as the serrated blade on that might have done the job??

That might have worked! I generally use a box cutter/carpet knife and resort to the serrated rescue knife if that fails.

You're not alone there either. I've been complaining for last few years that every can opener I get, breaks. We got a new electric one but it works so bad that I tell my wife it's more like a CAN'T opener! [cursing]

just some home 'tools' used this year to open packages:

scissors (plastic bags)

paper knife (envelopes)

bread knife (polystyrene)

craft knife (tetra packs)

santoku knife (fiber straps)

hacksaw blade (fiber straps)

podger (steel staples)

copper-hide mallet (wood frame)

cold chisel (wood frame)

long nose pliers (copper staples)

After slicing myself badly one time using a box cutter on a clam shell package, I turned to Aviation Tin Snips and haven't looked back.

the packaging on some of these things is just insane. I put a nice slice in my hand on the plastic package that I was trying to cut open.

I've had a Led Lenser torch for a while and it failed under warranty. No problems there as the retailer replaced it under warranty. Now the torch comes packed in a "blister" set up with a lever and reflector to test the torch, plus spare batteries. It's quite a set-up!

So at first I tried kitchen scissors and found it impossible to cut through the packaging. Took it up to the shed and tried heavier scissors to no avail. Tried tinsnips, nope couldn't cut the packaging at all!

After trying a variety of tools I ended up using a saw! You know designed for wood, not bloody cardboard! Even then it was hard to get through the packaging.

I can't believe how difficult this process was.

The second comment I want to make is how much unnecessary packaging things that we buy. I long for the days when we goy our purchases in a stiff brown paper bag! Half the stuff in rubbish bins is useless plastic or cardboard that costs us extra on the products we buy.

Frankly it drives me mad!

no one does packaging like japan. nobody. they are the undisputed kings of packaging. if anyone knows how to over do it, it's japan.

that said, if you can't get a blister pack open with a pair of scissors and especially a pair of snips, then you need to invest in better tools. i use scissors and snips for a living, and i can tell you there is no blister pack made that my crappiest scissors and snips can't open easily. your tools must be junk and long in in need of replacement if they are not up to the challenge.

no one does packaging like japan. nobody. they are the undisputed kings of packaging. if anyone knows how to over do it, it's japan.

that said, if you can't get a blister pack open with a pair of scissors and especially a pair of snips, then you need to invest in better tools. i use scissors and snips for a living, and i can tell you there is no blister pack made that my crappiest scissors and snips can't open easily. your tools must be junk and long in in need of replacement if they are not up to the challenge.

Problem is that recent tool as as crappy as all get-out!

Seriously, I ended up in the shed using older tool because they are better made but only the Spear & Jackon wood saw got through it!

I've never struck anything so difficult, hence the motivation for this thread.

Archived