Gibson Brands Forums

POLISH CLOTH OR ACID CLOTH???

Lunatic

So I decided that each of my axes required its own polish cloth. Got some brand new & wiped down the axes. Didn't use any additives / polish; just a straight wipe down with the new cloths. Put the axes away with the cloths laying over the pickups. Well, 2 or so weeks later, opened up my JEM and WTF??? The strings and frets were rusted. Hell!! Pulled them all out and 2 x WTFs??? All had been rusted or what appeared to be rust. I felt the frets and it felt like they had been etched. Scratching did not remove any of the discolouration. Also, the cloths were stained with rust marks. I can change strings, but how do I fix the frets? See photos.

Thanks for any advice. BTW - I washed the cloths after all this, but even the washing machine could not remove the stains.

post-74237-034705600 1454288255_thumb.jpg

post-74237-035175100 1454288295_thumb.jpg

My guess is there was too much humidity left inside the case. I would close the case lid not before everything is dried and not leave a moist cloth in a guitar case. Been there, done that in the early 1980's and won't do it again.

You may try to remove the rust from the cloth through soaking in vinegar and wringing out. Wearing rubber gloves is recommended. Been there and done that, too... [biggrin]

Thanks Cap. Suspect the cloth might have been damp, didn't feel like it though. Axes are stored in a cupboard under stairs where little fluctuates temp / humidity wise. Don't really care about the cloth. Am I looking at having to dress the frets to bring back the shine? Cheers

Hello!

Probably, the cloth wasn't completely dry.

To get the rust off from frets, I'd recommend regular eraser - it's a superfine polisher. That's the quick way to do it.

However, if You want a perfect job, use sanding/polishing papers, starting with 400-grit up to 2500-grit. You can achieve perfectly smooth frets that way. Always use a fretboard protector plate when polishing.

I have used all kinds of cloths for cleaning and polishing finishes. The best so far is the micro-fiber cloth:

s-l300.jpg

Diapers are excellent for rubbing off nasty dirt, but they leave swirl marks, just like any other type of cloth, except for the one above.

Contact cleaner will get off the rust from metal parts.

Good luck... Bence

weird, looks for sure moister related.

To clean the frets, if you don't wish to use sand paper, you can also try some 0000 steel wool, get some masking tape - I like the blue painters tape - and using the tape cover the fret board in the areas you want to clean, and also cover the pickups. you don't want little pieces of steel wool and what not getting into the magnets.

this should polish up the frets, I don't think you'd need to have them dressed.

And don't leave the cloth in contact with the guitar while it's in the case. Every time the temperature and/or he humidity go up or down minute amounts of moisture condense and revaporize. The cloth absorbs the moisture when the humidity goes up and releases it as the humidity goes down. Store your guitar where the temp and humidity are the most stable in your house. [thumbup]

In the UK we have Duraglit Silvo which is impregnated wadding (like cotton wool) in a can, slightly abrasive and will definitely get the rust off your frets though you need a bit of elbow grease!

There is also Duraglit Brasso which is MUCH fiercer - do not use.......

You want a cheap 2 quid microfiber cloth tripple pack. My apartment has near 50% humidity at night thanks to poor ventilation and butane heater and my frets tarnish too. I use a bit of brasso gently gently. The rest of the hardware I could care less. The sooner it relics up the better. :) For my nicer guitars they are stored in a better regulated place and stay in their cases at or around 10 degrees most if the winter months. The studios and tributes are great for winter. ;)

Funny "only" 50% for your house.

I keep my house around 55% on the whole house humidifier no rust on my guitars.

btw.. I would not use brasso on any guitar.

I would just get your favorite 'fret board conditioner' be that the Gibson brand or Professor Green's or who ever.. and some 0000 steel wool (has to be 4 x 0 )

few drops on the fret board, rub with the 0000 steel wool, on fret board (has to be non lacquer wood, like rosewood or ebony) and do the frets too.. they get nice and shiny with the 'lemon oil' and steel wool

You want a cheap 2 quid microfiber cloth tripple pack. My apartment has near 50% humidity at night thanks to poor ventilation and butane heater and my frets tarnish too. I use a bit of brasso gently gently. The rest of the hardware I could care less. The sooner it relics up the better. :) For my nicer guitars they are stored in a better regulated place and stay in their cases at or around 10 degrees most if the winter months. The studios and tributes are great for winter. ;)

Archived