Gibson Brands Forums

Covers with no pole holes

Golden

I actually do adjust the poles you can adjust, matching the radius of the fretboard, and allows to get a very consistent distance from each string to each pole. I was reading some time ago, about the design of the humbuckers and the question was asked "Do these really make a difference?"

the answer was something like: "if it didn't make a difference they probably would not have made them adjustable."

I actually do adjust the poles you can adjust, matching the radius of the fretboard, and allows to get a very consistent distance from each string to each pole. I was reading some time ago, about the design of the humbuckers and the question was asked "Do these really make a difference?"

the answer was something like: "if it didn't make a difference they probably would not have made them adjustable."

Thanks, and good info for readers, but my question was and is.....So if the poles are adjusted [already] then the above covers would make no difference?

Think of it this way, as you suggest you and I adjust our poles. OK so for example the D+G are slightly higher thus the cover without holes is literally resting on the D+G poles. Do you think it then makes a difference in tone? Or not enough to be noticed?

Just saying if the poles are adjustable with covers and as some say the covers DO make a difference with brightness to a slight degree then what difference do you think the above covers would make?

A Norlin-era Gibson luthier said, that polepieces should be adjusted to follow the radius, but the screw slots should not be parallel with the strings. Then, the protruding section of the screws should be trimmed off at the baseplate.

I am sharing it for the historical record. I don't want to start any debate about it, especially that I never touch them at all. :D

Bence.

...So if the poles are adjusted [already] then the above covers would make no difference?

The polepieces will be at the same distance from the strings, regardless of the cover is installed or not. The cover will not affect that setting. I guess.

Bence.

The polepieces will be at the same distance from the strings, regardless of the cover is installed or not. The cover will not affect that setting. I guess.

Bence.

My guess also, you don't think it would affect the magnetic field resting on one or two poles? [scared] LOL

The adjustable pole screws are just for looks. A marketing poly. No need to fiddle around with them.

"you see when I first designed this I had the cover plain on the original one… I wanted them to sell it without any adjusting screws because I found that with this there was much difference between the first and second strings like there is on most of the old non adjustable type there was quite a difference in the first and second string but this didn’t seem to have that major difference, and I thought it was not necessary to have pole pieces… well when you take away a talking point from a salesman it’s like breaking off your arm… The first thing I came up with an idea was just fake some things there so I stamped them on the cover, that didn’t please them either, by that time we already made the patent application… that’s why it went through that way, so they finally decided they wanted screws in there, so I put adjusting screws in it for them, then the question they asked me then was which way should those screws set? Should they set up or down? Well you’ve got to give them an answer so I decided to take the one closest to the fingerboard and put the screws facing it and the one closest to the bridge towards the bridge! That made them happy, they had a set way that it should be set, it only amounted to turning the pickup around…" ~Seth Lover 1978

The adjustable pole screws are just for looks. A marketing poly. No need to fiddle around with them.

"you see when I first designed this I had the cover plain on the original one… I wanted them to sell it without any adjusting screws because I found that with this there was much difference between the first and second strings like there is on most of the old non adjustable type there was quite a difference in the first and second string but this didn’t seem to have that major difference, and I thought it was not necessary to have pole pieces… well when you take away a talking point from a salesman it’s like breaking off your arm… The first thing I came up with an idea was just fake some things there so I stamped them on the cover, that didn’t please them either, by that time we already made the patent application… that’s why it went through that way, so they finally decided they wanted screws in there, so I put adjusting screws in it for them, then the question they asked me then was which way should those screws set? Should they set up or down? Well you’ve got to give them an answer so I decided to take the one closest to the fingerboard and put the screws facing it and the one closest to the bridge towards the bridge! That made them happy, they had a set way that it should be set, it only amounted to turning the pickup around…" ~Seth Lover 1978

When I say "turn 'em all you want they don't do anything" people yell at me.

rct

When I say "turn 'em all you want they don't do anything" people yell at me.

rct

I just turn them so the slots are all lined up nice. I would consider getting the gold hole-less cover, but its too much trouble to replace it so i'll just leave it as is, but i like the look.

A Norlin-era Gibson luthier said, that polepieces should be adjusted to follow the radius, but the screw slots should not be parallel with the strings. Then, the protruding section of the screws should be trimmed off at the baseplate.

[scared]#-o

I am sharing it for the historical record. I don't want to start any debate about it, especially that I never touch them at all. :D

Bence.

[biggrin][thumbup]

[thumbup]

I just turn them so the slots are all lined up nice.

I put a strip of duct tape over them so the Vaughnabees in the back uncross their harms and have strokes trying to figure out my tone. Man.

rct

but the screw slots should not be parallel with the strings.

I just turn them so the slots are all lined up nice

[biggrin]

put a strip of duct tape over them

Will that effect the magnetic field? [unsure]

In Dan Erlewine's book; "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great."

So then if your guitar is on a stand and you're looking straight at it you have this pattern...........

/ \ / \ / \ Neck

\ / \ / \ / Bridge

Ironically a fellow working at the Gibson Custom Shop said the same thing in a Guitar Player magazine interview, I have to believe he was familiar with Dan.

I don't do any of that, nor straight or parallel, I just turn them till they sound "perfect".

You never heard of that? Because while we are on that point while I do hear a difference in height the uniformity eludes my ear. But it does with this also...

= = = = = Looking at the guitar on a stand.

I have to re-read Dans thinking .

but the screw slots should not be parallel with the strings.

I just turn them so the slots are all lined up nice

Will that effect the magnetic field? [unsure]

I line em up nice and perpendicular to the strings.

------

I was just looking at my SG's (which have never been tampered with, since they left the factory), and

the pole piece screw slots are perpendicular, to the strings (- - - - - -). So, that's how the Gibson factory

does it. For what that may (or may not) be worth. I figure they know what they're doing, as far as that's

concerned, after all these years. [tongue]

CB

Rotfl, well, that was interesting, but, but..... [biggrin]

Anyway I ordered the covers, BECAUSE, if the members here couldn't think of one damn reason WHY they wouldn't be OK?

See THEN, I KNOW they will be alright. [thumbup]

Bence.

Hi Bence

yes, in fact, (as Golden mentions), and I probably should as well have but neglected to,, the angle of the screw slot is indeed part of the chemistry, the setup as I read it, is the screws are aligned in a cross hatch to the strings, like already describe / \ / \ / \ /\, and then opposite for the other pickup. not quite that geometry, a little more of a cross pattern actually, but this is all the keyboard will allow. I'll try to snap a photo of one of my pickups.. but I think you get the idea,

you may have lost me at "trim at the base plate"... :)

who knows right? we could debate the nuances over ales (tasty Belgians for example!) till dawn,,

does it REALLY make a difference? --shrugs shoulders--...

Rotfl, well, that was interesting, but, but..... [biggrin]

Anyway I ordered the covers, BECAUSE, if the members here couldn't think of one damn reason WHY they wouldn't be OK?

See THEN, I KNOW they will be alright. [thumbup]

I'm going to bet you 20 bucks,,, it will all sound great...

regardless.

keep us posted!

Just from practical experience and experimentation, you have to adjust the poles a LOT before you get any difference, and it doesn't amount to much.

But, adjust the whole pickup height, and THAT makes a difference.

The moral of the story, try it yourself and see.

It's funny I was playing about with the pole pieces last night on my LP, I've got the Dan Erlewine book and I have my SG set up like he recommends so I tried it on the LP. I can never tell if it makes any odds I'm of the opinion that if you want to hear it you will, but if there is a difference it's definitely subtle. I suppose all these subtleties are what adds to the mystique of a the instrument.

Hi Bence

yes, in fact, (as Golden mentions), and I probably should as well have but neglected to,, the angle of the screw slot is indeed part of the chemistry, the setup as I read it, is the screws are aligned in a cross hatch to the strings, like already describe / \ / \ / \ /\, and then opposite for the other pickup. not quite that geometry, a little more of a cross pattern actually, but this is all the keyboard will allow. I'll try to snap a photo of one of my pickups.. but I think you get the idea,

who knows right? we could debate the nuances over ales (tasty Belgians for example!) till dawn,,

After 5 or 6 of those tasty Belgians it doesn't make a difference.

Hi Bence

Hello Ray!

As Golden already stated, that's what Dan Erlewine was told by a Gibson employee. It was in Mr. Erlewine's book.

Bence.

After 5 or 6 of those tasty Belgians it doesn't make a difference.

quite true!!!

and you're all crazy,

I'm sure it makes a difference.

I made some more adjustments last night, lust a little mind you (should I mention this was after a grey goose martini? you wouldn't think that was relevant.. maybe..)

it was awesome, but I don't remember coming upstairs...

I think the magic element is there,really it is...

and its wait for it... alcohol...

(should I mention this was after a grey goose martini? you wouldn't think that was relevant.. maybe..)

Hehehehehehe.. [biggrin]

Then when morning comes around and you listen AGAIN, whew, you have to go back to ====== factory setting, like the fretboard radius!!! [thumbup]

Ha, thats the "all-time" starting point as CB said, and for good reason!!

Funny stuff though, how in the world do the screw slots make a bit of difference? Now the heights vary with opinion. Think about it, the board radius is status quo, But how many players have you heard claim the B pole needs to be slightly lower, or the D+G need to be lowered for a scooped mid, or slightly higher for mid-range?

Controversy for sure. But I do think the status quo could always be referred back to for a fresh start.

Archived