Gibson Brands Forums

For dog and animal lovers

Guitar God

Those videos are difficult to watch when you are an animal lover. Both of my dogs came down with cancer about the same time. Different types of cancer, but deadly no less.

I spent well over $32,000.00 in cancer treatments for both of them, with one of them " cancer free" after about one year , only to lose her to cancer about four months after being told she had fully recovered.

On top of that I quit a high six figure income job to stay at home with them so I could take care of them.

Every one said I was crazy for doing what I did spending so much and quitting my job, but if you care for them as much as I did, nothing is out of the question.

I would do it again in a minute, but the one thing that would stop me is seeing the hurt in their eyes going through that damn chemo.

I lost them seven years ago, and miss them to this day.

• Thanks 1

Anybody watch Anderton's of England and his guitar reviews? Chappers and the Captain? I used to see his dog on that show but not anymore. Then one day I noticed The Captain had named his new 58 reissue the same as his dogs name. (Lola) The dog must have passed away.

We had a fabulous few days up at Isle Royale, couple days in Copper Harbor, and a really nice drive down the state through some of the great architecture of Detroit and out.

rct

Michigan is a beautiful state with a lot of problems (which is why I left). My father was born and raised in Detroit well before the race riots of the sixties and my mom grew up in St. Clair Shores so I have a lot of ties to the Motor City. Breaks my heart because at one time it was the arsenal of democracy, the birth place of the automobile, Motown, The Stooges, MC5, Bob Seger, Alice Cooper, hand tossed pizza, amazing Greek food, etc.

The area I grew up in is picturesque since it is right on Lake Huron. Seeing a sunrise on the lake is a religious experience. If you are ever in that area I highly recommend stopping in Port Austin.

1. Go with, stay, hold onto. Do NOT let anyone tell you different, go to another vet if they won't let you be with him/her. We held onto Mowgli, our 17 year old Bermudian cat when we had to do that, we wouldn't have it any other way. I could not let these little beings out of this world without knowing we, or one of us, was there.

2. Can't speak for dogs, we are cat peoples. We have an excellent sitter that comes in and gets the mail and all that, and she loves Ichabod and she loved Prudence like we did. We go on stupid long trips around the country, so we have to pay somebody to look after the animals, why not the house too?

We can't now, but we know we gotta have some grrrl cat in our lives, if not soon, then immediately after we retire in two years.

rct

Nobody has tried to tell me I had a couple friends who just dropped them off, I am thinking no way in hell I could do that. My Abbey has meant way too much to just drop her off I may cry like a baby while doing so but I think I HAVE to be there, She has helped me through some very dark times of depression etc. I do not understand people dropping their pets off and driving on???

As far as the travel I am talking a couple times a year we have to put her in a kennel, so I dont think it is too much at this point, I still do not like doing so.

1467280026[/url]' post='1781119']

This is very graphic, but an amazing ending. The people are good souls and are true animal lovers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcfUdNfb808

I saw that video on face book. Very hard to watch and why do people do such things to their pets? If you buy a pet, love it all through its life and not abandon them. Another thing that gets me are some neighbors Ive seen in the past who leave there dogs out all winter in freezing temps with short hair and never have anything to do with them.

1467313870[/url]' post='1781260']

While we are on this subject I would like to ask two questions that the wife and I have contemplated lately. First, If you know you have to put your pet to sleep do you drop it off and leave before it is carried out or do you stay and be close to your pet while they pass away? Second at our age we have discussed if we want to get another Dog or not? We travel and do not like putting the dog in a kennel plus we are just getting to the point that we do not know if we want to train another or not.

I've had to put two dobermans down in the past. Both were show dogs. Sadly, dobermans live short lives. I've seen most go between 8 years old and one that lived till 12. They tend to get cancer, or most with Wabblers syndrome. A deasese they get with the nerve system in their spine. Most get it around 8 years old. Vets suggest to put them down as they suffer in pain and can't get up. I couldn't stand to watch Tie go so the wife took him in and watched and petted him to the end. She was so heart broken she claimed, never again so when Bandit's time to go at 12 years old, I took him in. I tried pain pills and everything I could to prolong his time. Thought I could be a tough guy but when he drew his last breath and looked me in the eye, I lost it like a kid. Toughest thing I ever had to do and had tears in my eyes every time I thought about it. Couldnt get that image out of my head.

about staying for that last moment.. I can tell you only this..

the first time we had to do this, it was with our mix terrier Charlie, he was a great dog, the kids and my wife and I were there when they did what was necessary.... I vowed I'd never do that again.. so when Krissy, our siberian's time came, (17 years) I remembered what happened with Charlie, they asked, "you can stay if you want" through the tears I said "I can't do that again, already tried..."

Driving away,... it was hard, all that day and the following, still... I came to realize, I would have rather been there then not..

When Buddy died, (That was my sons dog) we were not around, he had a massive heart attack (at 18 years old, and this was a big dog, still very active, and strong) he just went like the snap of a finger... there one minute, gone the next. So we didn't have to make that choice....

There was Kira, a shep/husky mix that we got when we were first married, never have I seen a dog as loyal.

He would wait at the end of the drive way for the kids everyday after school.. followed them and us everywhere.

never needed a leash,, he lived a long happy life, but one night, I found him on our back porch, thought he was a sleep,, he'd passed.. That was hard on all of us...

Then there was the other two, Taz (our shephard / husky mix) and Aquira (our red siberian) that were both struck by cars after getting loose and "taking a run' for themselves. Taz,, man I turned into a puddle for months after that one. He, like Buddy just had a special personality,,, those two were the hardest to get past, but they were all very sad times in my life.

We've yet to convince ourselves it's time, much for the same reason, we like the freedom to head out of town for a few days. the doggy would really change that dynamic.

I read a letter that one of the vets customers had posted after one of her dogs had passed away.

The letter was among many other letters posted in the vets lobby's

At the bottom of this letter there was this sentence that said

God played a cruel prank on all of the true animal lovers on earth.

He gave us the animals that we love so much, only for us to lose them after a few short years.

I read a letter that one of the vets customers had posted after one of her dogs had passed away.

He gave us the animals that we love so much, only for us to lose them after a few short years.

True

• 4 years later...
On 7/2/2016 at 1:34 AM, brc said:

Yes, I agree with you! It's so hard to let them go ..

Damn!  This was pretty tough to watch!  Sad, but a very worthwhile journey.  I suspect most of us feel like this over our beloved pets......”and Lord, there’s just one more thing that I think you ought to know......if my old dog ain’t up in heaven, I don’t think I want to go.”

Edited by MissouriPicker

On 6/30/2016 at 11:39 AM, kelly campbell said:

Hard to watch for me, but it is a good video. I have a dog who is gonna be turning 13 in a few months and the thought of losing her has crossed my mind a few times recently and I can not imagine how I am gonna handle her loss, I will weep like a baby for a week.

Every pet that has died, I loose it every time. Makes me wonder why I rush out to get another?  I've had a dog from when I was born to this very day.  Ive had at least 13 that I can remember. 

Necropost about death. Apropos though as my dog Brynn was just diagnosed with lymphoma. Good prognosis with chemo, thank goodness for dog insurance. Still we have limited time with her, at best a year. My wife is distraught.

She's snoring at my feet as I write this. 

She is the big girl in front in this photo.

HaCy86p.jpg

Edited by Tman

Our 12 y/o  Lab had a stroke  earlier this year.  Stopped eating.  Vet confirmed he could not live any form of a decent life -  I sat with  him.  Could barely see with the tears in my eyes to find my way to the car where my wife sat crying.  Four days later, our 9 y/o German Shepard started passing blood and stopped eating and drinking.  Different vet - an ER Vet. Said we shouldn't even think about bringing her back home because she was going to start suffering bad quickly. Cancerous tumor on the spleen burst.  I stayed with her too.   It makes you numb.    Easily the worst week of my life.    One thing I learned - they cried and whined so much when we brought them to the kennels before going on trips -  I'll never do that again.