Gibson Brands Forums

A Trio of Jumbos

Joe M

Time to show off the triplets...IMG_0653_zpsu8zof11x.jpg

Bottom left, 2007 J200. Unusual in the respect it has all the characteristics of a TV but made before Gibson called them TV's. Don Ruffato thinks it's a one-off

Bottom right, 2000 J150. Except for some fret wear on the first 3 frets, almost mint condition. Previous owner added a K&K

Top, 2014 J185TV Red Spruce top. Has a Baggs pickup installed. Shop where I got it swears it was factory installed. To me, wouldn't be a TV.

A hyper brave group of musketeers.

One can't help noticing the 2 different 200-bridge types. 4 abalone inlays opposed to 2. (they are called something I forgot - maybe 4 and 2 ribbon)

According to the big book of consensusn'n'nonsense, the latter should provide more sound. That is however one of those things I personally doubt.

Any thoughts. .

Thanks for all the positive comments. I wish my talent was up to the level of my gear... [rolleyes]

Buc, as bassetman already commented, the 185 is short scale, so a little easier to play.

EA, honestly, I like the sound and the playability of the 150 above the other two. Not that the 185 and 200 are bad, just, to me, not as nice as the 150.

I'm not the original owner of any of the three, but the 200 and 185 were not played much, if at all, by previous owner(s). You can tell the 150 was played, not abused, but played, and well taken care of, by the previous owner(s).

All the guitars have been setup by the same guy, who is great, and they all have the same Elixir Nano HD 80/20 set of strings on them. I'm sure the 185, with it's red spruce top, will loosen up and mellow out the more it's played. I'm also sure part of, if not all of, the reason I prefer the 150 is because of it's age and the fact that it was played the last 16 years.

Well I stared at that photo for a fair while...particularly the J-185. I love a J-185...

That is a damn fine set of guitars mate. I'd not considered how much size difference there was between the 185 and the 100 / 200 size until seeing them in the same photo like that!

Well I stared at that photo for a fair while...particularly the J-185. I love a J-185...

That is a damn fine set of guitars mate. I'd not considered how much size difference there was between the 185 and the 100 / 200 size until seeing them in the same photo like that!

I don't think the difference is as great as the pic shows. The perspective makes a big difference, the 185 is farther from the lens than the other two so it looks a lot smaller. In fact, all the measurements comparing the 200 (and the 150) are only an inch greater than the same measurements of the 185. Upper bout, waist, lower bout, all only an inch different. Guess I should have had them the same distance from the camera.

Archived