Gibson Brands Forums

Strap buttons - yay or nay

mz-s

I'm getting a new J-15 in soon, and the shop asked me if I wanted a strap button installed. All my previous guitars had strap buttons installed from the factory (beginner level instruments typically do, especially from Asian builders it seems), so I didn't give this question any thought before they asked.

However, I elected to not have a strap button installed. I hardly ever use a strap now (I always play seated), and when I do use a strap, I expect I'll just tie the strap around the headstock. There's just something about drilling into my brand new guitar to add something that Gibson didn't see as necessary that doesn't sit well with me.

How do you manage your strap on your acoustic?

I used to be a "wrap it on the headstock" guy but it seems the process of getting the freaking strap on there is a lot of trouble these days, so I bought a bone strap button from Colosi, broke out the drill and put it on the heel. Much, much easier to deal with!

And I'll take this opportunity to give a shout out to Joe who most graciously volunteered to return my beloved Sully guitar strap - you da man, Joe!

Pretty much a matter of personal choice, as far as I'm concerned, and neither approach outranks the other. Personally, I prefer the button and often use a strap even while sitting to diminish the chance of the guitar taking a fall. That's likely just paranoia, but so what? When I acquire a guitar sans button, it usually takes me a while to install one - I'd rather perform the task myself after I've become familiar with the guitar and am in the requisite frame of mind. The button gives me a better sense of control while standing. Otherwise, it feels kind of like trying to fire a rifle one-handed with arm fully extended.

I used to be a "wrap it on the headstock" guy but it seems the process of getting the freaking strap on there is a lot of trouble these days, so I bought a bone strap button from Colosi, broke out the drill and put it on the heel. Much, much easier to deal with!

And I'll take this opportunity to give a shout out to Joe who most graciously volunteered to return my beloved Sully guitar strap - you da man, Joe!

Sully straps are, to me, the best out there. They seem to be a well-kept secret, and I have no idea why....

I gig my acoustics on a regular basis. All have a Schaller strap lock buttons on the heel. The other end of the strap fits around the output jack socket and once the cable is plugged in, its all secure.

much as Id love a button on the heel I will never drill my gibby when a string over the head would work, Im non pro and stand with foot on stool and no strap or strap on head while standing ( head of guitar not mine,..... )to quote blind faith "do what you like " J

If it already has a strap button I'll use it. If it doesn't I'll tie onto the headstock. I sit while I play. Won't stand unless I have to. I always use a strap when sitting at a gig. Accidents can happen when I'm adjusting sound on my amp, reaching for my coffee, reaching for a dropped thumbpick, and guitars can slide around depending on the material your pants are made of. I just like the assurance the strap gives me.

If it already has a strap button I'll use it. If it doesn't I'll tie onto the headstock. I sit while I play. Won't stand unless I have to. I always use a strap when sitting at a gig. Accidents can happen when I'm adjusting sound on my amp, reaching for my coffee, reaching for a dropped thumbpick, and guitars can slide around depending on the material your pants are made of. I just like the assurance the strap gives me.

You wear pants at a gig?

rct

Buc, I'm just glad the strap is back with it's rightful owner. Since you know the back story of the strap, I won't repeat it here. Wear it in good health.

I don't think they don't come from the factory with a button because they think it is unnecessary, but because people want a choice. Not only the choice to have one or not, but to choose where they want it. If they come with a button on the heel and you don't like it there you can't undrill it. Yes, I know you could fill and refinish, but that would be harder than adding one to a guitar that doesn't have one(which is pretty easy)

I don't think they don't come from the factory with a button because they think it is unnecessary, but because people want a choice. Not only the choice to have one or not, but to choose where they want it. If they come with a button on the heel and you don't like it there you can't undrill it. Yes, I know you could fill and refinish, but that would be harder than adding one to a guitar that doesn't have one(which is pretty easy)

Yeah. The 'correct' strap button placement is always up for debate, seems like. I appreciate when they're left off from the factory.

That's a good point that I had not considered. Some makers do routinely include a strap button though, Martin does on all the Mexican guitars and several US-made models as well (the historic models don't for historic reasons). The new HP acoustics appear to come equipped with a strap button according to images from Sweetwater, though.

Does Gibson specify where to install the strap button if desired? Several makers do, but I haven't found any recommendations from Gibson.

I've alway drilled and installed my own.

Absolutely, unless there's one preattached, which happens on vintage stuff rather often. The time or two (by no means recently) someone put a button on for me, I wasn't happy with the result.

Sully straps are, to me, the best out there. They seem to be a well-kept secret, and I have no idea why....

Indeed they are. His stuff made of reclaimed harness leather is magnificent and there's no metal to be concerned with. On the pricey side, certainly, but they are one-of-a-kind handmade by a leather craftsman.......such things don't come cheap in the USA.

That's a good point that I had not considered. Some makers do routinely include a strap button though, Martin does on all the Mexican guitars and several US-made models as well (the historic models don't for historic reasons). The new HP acoustics appear to come equipped with a strap button according to images from Sweetwater, though.

Does Gibson specify where to install the strap button if desired? Several makers do, but I haven't found any recommendations from Gibson.

Seems like there was a thread about that some time back, though I don't recall which part of the forum contained it. Also don't recollect specifics of the information - it came off to me as worry needlessly spent - included diagrams, measurements, and such. Happy hunting!

As I always sit down when I play my guitars I never use a strap . Also because I sometimes capo on the 7th fret and then go up the dusty end a heel mounted button would really get in the way . If I did need one I would tie round the headstock msp_biggrin.gif

Indeed they are. His stuff made of reclaimed harness leather is magnificent and there's no metal to be concerned with. On the pricey side, certainly, but they are one-of-a-kind handmade by a leather craftsman.......such things don't come cheap in the USA.

Surely not cheap, but actually less than most custom straps I've seen. To me a great deal better than the way high-priced ones from other sources, too. I like his custom fit approach - if I'm paying for an excellent item, the ladder adjustment/one size can fit most everybody option doesn't much please me. He's also very good about timely production and delivery - a quality conspicuously missing from most sources these days.

As I always sit down when I play my guitars I never use a strap . Also because I sometimes capo on the 7th fret and then go up the dusty end a heel mounted button would really get in the way . If I did need one I would tie round the headstock msp_biggrin.gif

You sound like someone who could honestly benefit from a cutaway, which I admire a lot. If I ever got that far up the neck, I'd be lost in the forest!

I'm to the point where I practically can't play without a strap so if I get a guitar without one I immediately put one on the heel. Speaking of which here's a heads up to check the tightness of all your strap buttons. I had one that was close to coming off the other day (came on a guitar I bought used and probably wasn't installed correctly previous to me). Freaked me out and served as a reminder to always be aware of the instrument and never, ever, trust a strap.

Each of my four acoustics, with all due respect to Buc's thread, have inexpensive straps on them that don't come off unless for cleaning, maintenance, or doctor's visit. They are connected with the Neotech strap loop, an easy on-off alternative for someone who never goes strapless, sitting or standing. I can just grab a guitar off the wall and get to picking.

http://www.ebay.com/...872.m2749.l2658

I've said this before, but most acoustics are prone to being neck-heavy, so if you release your fret-hand from the neck when it's hung by the heel, your guitar tips down. Some guitars will even roll forward and peel off the pin. When the guitar hangs strapped from the end pin and head it stays put. As a player, it also offers more fret hand freedom of movement, as you aren't occupied with also having to support the neck. Problem solved...5 bucks.

Big 'yay' on the strap, big 'nay' on the heel pin.

I'm a heel pin installation kind of guy, and I always do a very careful job of drilling a small pilot hole before screwing-in the new strap-securing apparatus.

I find that I have a hard time performing while sitting down, as it limits my ability to move my arms, hands, and wrists freely enough.

Also, I like to move about the stage quite a bit when playing standing up.

(I can't sit still long.)

:)

I'm a heel pin installation kind of guy, and I always do a very careful job of drilling a small pilot hole before screwing-in the new strap-securing apparatus.

I find that I have a hard time performing while sitting down, as it limits my ability to move my arms, hands, and wrists freely enough.

Also, I like to move about the stage quite a bit when playing standing up.

(I can't sit still long.)

:)

It's very true, although hard to believe, that some people don't drill a pilot hole when installing a strap button. I approach the entire process using an old-fashioned manual drill and screw driver.

Archived