Gibson Brands Forums

New Les Paul Studio owner!

DrJustice

Today I finally got my first Les Paul, after a torturous wait. I bought new and unseen via mail order. It's a wine red Studio with gold hardware.

First the looks - It's so beautiful, the finish is flawless. OK, there are none of the bindings and inlays of the bigger brethren, but it just looks clean and mean. Then there's the feel of it, way more comfortable than I had imagined. I play sitting, and I think the Les Paul is more comfy than my SG Standard. Not much heavier either. It has a bit higher action than I prefer out of the box. It's not a problem, though. Somehow it seems to suit the guitar... I may try lowering it a bit, but that's for later. Even a guitar novice like me can easily feel how incredibly smooth it is - this guitar wants to be played, it works with you. And there's the sound. What can I say that you don't know. I'm blown away. It's just Good. The perfect complement to my SG 3SC indeed.

I'm not an expert, but I reckon I lucked out got a good one. It's everything I dared hope for and more.

Right, can you tell I'm stoked? Got to go and play some more now :-)

DJ

--

Love it!

That's what I was gonna buy my daughter for her birthday last Dec, but just before I ordered it, played a game and had her pick her "favorite" color in the MF line up. She picked the Fireburst, no pickguard.

It's a GREAT guitar, I even snuck it out and gigged it once.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Thanks - Now I know what all the fuss is about, this thing is sublime! :-))

At first when I saw those 'stripes' in the grain, I wan't sure, but only hours into ownership I see a unique arrowhead shape and wouldn't have it any other way. I might add that the pictures are hastily taken in too strong artificial light and got a bit washed out; it has a deeper/darker (wine) red colour in reality.

DJ

--

Les Paul studios in wine red rock. A lovely new guitar my friend! I have one too...here is my story.

I have posted this guitar on a another forum. It started life as a rescued Les Paul studio with a snapped neck. It was purchased for just £220 (second hand) and cost £40 to fix.

The whole guitar is 'special'. It had binding on it covered by the paint leading me to ask the obvious question, whether it was made originally as a Studio or other model!!!

It weighs a tonne! 11.5-12 lbs. It is a 100 percent legit Gibson.

It plays awesome!

Here is the Les Paul Custom's finest hour of tone

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p0CIg4b4qB4&feature=channel

009205899.jpg

Congratulations, DrJ. She's a sweetheart, and just in time for Valentines Day. At first glance, I thought it looked very much like a Dark Fire, but yours is even better looking. :-({|=

Edit: Just listened to the clip Sear put up on youtube. Excellent playing, Matt. Great tone!

Thank you very much Dr Bends,Thundergod and Guitarrest!

I only have two proper pictures of him.

He was bought originally as a present a few years back by the parents of a pupil. He had got into the top 5 of the XFM Battle Of The bands and they were so proud they got it to give him confidence. Minutes into being on stage someone stepped on the neck!

They got the money back on insurance and had a surplus broken Les Paul (after they had replaced him with another one). I am sorry I keep referring to 'it' as him, but he is very real the way he plays and stuff LOL.

cheers

Matt

Archived