Gibson Brands Forums

Maybe I'm not a J45 guy after all?

sbpark

I posted a thread a little while ago about parting ways with my J45. Bought it new a few years ago, and a love/hate relationship with it, ending with me eventually selling it. Like I mentioned in the other thread I've played other J45's that I liked much better. Lately had been on the hunt for a new one. Most of the new ones I've played at shops (J45 Standards, NOS J45TV, SJ's) haven't really floated my boat. I did play a new all-mahogany J45 that sounded great, but didn't like the natural finish, but found another run of these all-mahogany J45's in the traditional burst. Problem was there are none local so I took my chances ordering one. Was gorgeous looking but underwhelming in the tone department. Also recently though I found a nice sounding J45 Standard and brought it home, but in the last week of owning it it's not floating my boat as well, and I seem to just gravitate toward my other guitars ('11 AJ, '12 HD28, '14 000-15M). I do like mahogany guitars but for whatever reason the mahogany Gibson slope shoulders I've been playing just sound very throttled and constructed, and even more constricted when capo'd. Also doesn't seem to work that well with open tunings compared to the others I own. Some J45's have that fat, growly warm bass that I love, but I just don't seem to like the way they sound on the two high strings; very plinky and biting. I'm thinking I'd be better off with a small body guitar, spruce over mahogany that's articulate, very "open" sounding (if that makes sense!). I have the flat picking thing covered with the AJ and HD28, but want something a little more singer/songwriter focused that can work as a fingerpicker and a strummer that has a more focused sound compared to the big, wide open feel of the AJ and HD28, and has a bit more clarity than my 000-15M (don't get me wrong, I love that guitar!). Was thinking about a Waterloo WL-K possibly?

I'm also finding that longer scale guitars are easier to play for me. I know that sounds nuts, but I'm thinking it may have to do with string tension? My HD28 and AJ feel slinkier and easier to chord than most short scale guitars I've played. Could this be due to the fact that the shorter scale requires a higher tension? I used mediums on all my guitars, and pretty much have them all set up with the same specs, relief, action, etc., FWIW.

I absolutely am in love with the looks of the burst on a slope shoulder, but am kind of coming to terms that maybe it's just not the sound I'm looking for? I don't want people to think this is a knock against Gibsons, because it's not. I love their guitars. Just looking for suggestions for something that you guys think might fit the bill for what I'm looking for? Also open to suggestions outside the Gibson brand. Thanks in advance guys!

I'm also finding that longer scale guitars are easier to play for me. I know that sounds nuts, but I'm thinking it may have to do with string tension? My HD28 and AJ feel slinkier and easier to chord than most short scale guitars I've played. Could this be due to the fact that the shorter scale requires a higher tension? I used mediums on all my guitars, and pretty much have them all set up with the same specs, relief, action, etc., FWIW.

With the same strings, a longer-scale guitar requires more tension to achieve the same pitch. You might try strings with a round core, like DR Sunbeams, which are easier to bend than strings wound on the more typical hex core hex core.

However, it sounds like the J-45 may not be a guitar for you, if you've tried a lot and haven't bonded with them. A J-45 isn't going to sound much like any of the other guitars you've mentioned. But from your verbal description of what you're looking for, the J-45 does sound like the right guitar. Maybe you need to experiment more with strings.

With the same strings, a longer-scale guitar requires more tension to achieve the same pitch. You might try strings with a round core, like DR Sunbeams, which are easier to bend than strings wound on the more typical hex core hex core.

However, it sounds like the J-45 may not be a guitar for you, if you've tried a lot and haven't bonded with them. A J-45 isn't going to sound much like any of the other guitars you've mentioned. But from your verbal description of what you're looking for, the J-45 does sound like the right guitar. Maybe you need to experiment more with strings.

I have tried Sunbeams in the past, and do like how they feel, but I felt like I lost some of the oops and low end. Aside from that I have tried many different strings on my old J45; DR Rare, JP Nickel, JP PB's, D'Addario PB's, Martin and Gibson 80/20's, etc. Maybe it's just a matter of being patient for the right one.

You obviously know what you like...

But I have a hard time believing that a long scale Martin plays easier and "slinkier" than a short scale J45, which makes me think you just yearn for a really good setup. A good setup guy is worth his/her weight in gold.

Or maybe....

you need an AJ!

I have an AJ and love it. [thumbup] That guitar also plays like butter. For some reason all the sort scale Gibsons feel harder to play. I also noticed that J45's (at least to me) need a bit more relief and sound better with slightly higher action, or the choked and tight characteristic is accentuated. The AJ is killer. It's a very big, clean sounding guitar. it still has that Gibson sound for sure, but is a bit more well-behaved than a J45.

Wouldn't you think it would be more appropriate to find a guitar that suits a particular player's playing style instead of changing how you play just so you can play a particular guitar?

Yeah. Absolutely

I haven't played electric guitar for at least 20 years , so if I lift an sg or a strat it's not that the guitars not great , it's just that I have a heavy right hand , or too tight.a grip on the left ....

what you say is true , and you might be very lucky and find an acoustic that comes alive in your hands .

The electric guitar scenario is a big exaggeration

I hope you get my drift and I mean no disrespect

It's just you said that the two strings were bothering you , might it not possibly be that you're being a little heavy on them ? Or light on them ?

Yeah. Absolutely

I haven't played electric guitar for at least 20 years , so if I lift an sg or a strat it's not that the guitars not great , it's just that I have a heavy right hand , or too tight.a grip on the left ....

what you say is true , and you might be very lucky and find an acoustic that comes alive in your hands .

The electric guitar scenario is a big exaggeration

I hope you get my drift and I mean no disrespect

It's just you said that the two strings were bothering you , might it not possibly be that you're being a little heavy on them ? Or light on them ?

No disrespect taken at all. I totally get it. To some degree I do adjust my playing style for each guitar since each guitar is different. Some are more bass heavy, some more forward sounding, others more mid-range, etc. It's the tone of the two higher strings that bugs me with a J45, if that makes any sense.

It does make sense if'n you are listening to recordings of different models and makes of guitars. This being the point of discussion, you are at the mercy of the recording engineers, and may never find what you are looking for as the many folks on these forums that "brag or complain" about having owned 75 guitars over the last 20? or so years and never finding their dream. Are you one of the dreamers?

It's difficult for me to give any sort of advice/suggestions when it comes to how a guitar feels to an individual playing it. Scale length matters, strings matter, setup matters, necks matter, nut width matters - and most of us are aware of all that. I guess my take is that what matters most in the final analysis is the player's interpretation, a very personal thing that's hard for someone else to define. My analogy for all this is buying underwear, about which I suspect there's very little need to explain. How guitars sound from one to the next is equally perplexing once you get beyond generalities, especially if you're discussing a similar make/model/production era. The nuances come into account and how to predict those is way past me. About all I can contribute, though it seems not to amount to much, is suggesting that you play everything in your path and keep an open mind.

Ever tried the Hummingbird? Considered by many to be the singer/songwriter guitar. Short scaled, squared shouldered sound machine!

The thought has crossed my mind, but this time I may test the waters first with some smaller body guitars. I know it's apples to oranges given that the AJ and HD28 are long scale and rosewood over spruce compared to the short scale and mahogany over spruce, but I feel like I have the dred thing covered with those two i already have. I think I'm going to try searching for something to kind of fill the void between the super warm sounds of the all-mahogany 000-15M and the hugeness of the AK and HD-28.

It's difficult for me to give any sort of advice/suggestions when it comes to how a guitar feels to an individual playing it. Scale length matters, strings matter, setup matters, necks matter, nut width matters - and most of us are aware of all that. I guess my take is that what matters most in the final analysis is the player's interpretation, a very personal thing that's hard for someone else to define. My analogy for all this is buying underwear, about which I suspect there's very little need to explain. How guitars sound from one to the next is equally perplexing once you get beyond generalities, especially if you're discussing a similar make/model/production era. The nuances come into account and how to predict those is way past me. About all I can contribute, though it seems not to amount to much, is suggesting that you play everything in your path and keep an open mind.

You make absolute sense here, but don't be so hard on yourself. It's an internet forum after all, and places like this keep going because of discussion. Yes, it's ALL about personal preference, but it can provoke a decent discussion as long as people are respectful and cordial. Of course as the OP I know it's about what I like in the end, but you never know. Someone may say something or suggest something that you didn't think of or consider and it sets you down a totally different path of discovery that you may not have done otherwise. I'm not naive enough to just blindly take advice of others without going with what I like and prefer, but do enjoy reading other's opinions and perspectives.

Really difficult to figure-out why some of us like a particular guitar and others don't. My "take it or leave it" guitar might be your "best I've played." I tend to agree with those suggesting different strings. My only basis for saying this is that all my guitars pretty much play as easily as the next, even though they have varying necks and scale sizes. The most similar thing they have in-common is that they all have Martin SP Lights on them (except for one with Martin Marquis strings). This isn't an endorsement of Martin Strings. It just happens to be what they all have in-common............Good advice on this thread. Try a bird. For me, it's truly "the guitar." Likewise, my J45 is everything I've heard and expected it to be. I've owned two......Keep looking. Your guitar is waiting to be found.

Had never thought of that. Considering it, though, it might be true for some folks. Has never bothered me, and my hands and feet (size 14) are generally considered equally big - but how a person's hands are structured could make a difference, too.

• 4 years later...