Gibson Brands Forums

Playing guitar with headphones?

Dub-T-123

Hey guys. I'm gonna be staying in a hotel for the next few weeks and wanted to know if any of you have some suggestions for how I can play my guitar without bothering the neighbors

Ideally I'd like to have something that sounds clean that I can plug headphones into. Also would prefer to keep it relatively inexpensive

I have a laptop and iPhone, but no "interface" or music software so to speak.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks :)

I use a Boss digital four track.. It does everything you could ever want.. Even though that's probably more expensive than you want but you can use it to do proper recordings and overdub yourself etc...

But yeah, theres lots of those small boxes you can plug directly in to your guitar.. They are ok enough... id probably go for one of those vox ones.. Theres also the Vox amphones http://www.voxamps.com/amphone

You could always go with one of those micro amps.. cheap as and will do ok.. http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/marshall-ms-2-micro-amp-black?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=CLyJteyNl9ACFVUo0wodVHwI-w

I have often gone on business travel using the following (admittedly-inexpensive) methods for hotel room quietness.

This is when I am expecting to stay for two weeks or more.

a. Bring along an older digital effects processor, preferably battery-powered.

I have an old Digitech RP80, and it is wonderful.

Has a nice stereo headphone out jack too.

Secure your headphones or ear-buds in the suitcase, obviously.

b. Pack a fresh set of your favorite electric guitar strings, you're going to need them.

A small set of diagonal cutting pliers as well, and a small allen wrench assortment, and a phillips-head screwdriver.

And a cheap terry-cloth in a Ziplock bag, partially-soaked in guitar polish.

c. Leave your own guitars at home, and come empty-handed.

Then, when settled in at your destination, visit any of a number of local pawn shops.

Purchase (for $75 or so) any old wall-hanger that strikes your fancy.

Make sure the neck is true, and that it's playable.

It won't matter that it is dusty and has ancient strings, you are going to fix that right away.

d. Get the pawn shop beastie back to your hotel room, and unstring her.

Using your sparse set of tools and your guitar polishing kit, get the action and intonation set, and polish her up like a new penny.

Restring the guitar, tune her to perfection, and from then on, it's plug-and-play!

You will be in hotel room rock-and-roll heaven.

NOTE: There will be a temptation to bring the polished-up pawnshop prize home with you, and that's okay.

But the rule is generally to sell her back to the pawn shop right before your flight home.

What happens in Birmingham stays in Birmingham.

[crying]

I've used the iRig with the iPhone and iPad. Sounds good. There are some free amp apps out there - but you'll need the iRig (or some type of interface). Another option... go acoustic. I like to travel with my ukulele - fun to plink around on and relatively quiet. Mandolins work for this too.

Thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate it.

I had thought about bringing an acoustic but the Guild dread that I have is probably too loud actually.

I stopped by a GC on my drive out and ended up with the little iRig thing. Seems pretty cool for just playing around with headphones

Thanks again

When I was a wee lad of 17 and 18, when all 5 of us got to the mic for this chorus I would get chills. Chills I tell you. I love that song.

rct

Their vocal harmonies are magical. A lot like Crosby in the Byrds or with CSNY.

Their vocal harmonies are magical. A lot like Crosby in the Byrds or with CSNY.

Yes, very much. This one was 5 voices over a Dmaj7 I think. I'd probably fall over doing it today it would be so good if we had the keys and such.

rct

Archived