Gibson Brands Forums

I've been offered a R8...

ChrisF

For my Gibson ES 335 figured Antique Natural. I don't know the guy, but he seems very nice and I feel like trusting him. So it's not that I'm suspicious...

I don't really care about the "money" here, if I trade it I don't want to resale it, I'd plan to keep it. I just want to know if this is a fair trade.

The 335 is brand new, I just got it so it only got a couple of hours of playtime, but so far I'm really enjoying it and was going to keep it, and the sound is amazing. It costs 3000€ here in Europe. (https://www.thomann.de/es/gibson_es_335_figured_na_2014.htm?sid=a055ccc0c1b9e92977a964997cccd4b0)

I know nothing about Reissues, it seems a nice guitar but I need you guys to throw some light on here...

It's a 2007 Gibson Historic Les Paul VOS R8. It's not all stock, it's been modified:

-The stock PUPs have been replaced and they are not included. I think they were BB, the currents pups are "Fralin Humbucker" (I don't know them but they must be good)

-The bridge has been replaced, but the original one is included in the deal.

-Same thing with the tuners, current: Gotoh, but still keep the original ones.

-It had a bigsby installed and had some drilling done. The holes have been refilled but the bigsby can be reinstalled in 10 minutes and it's also included. (I'm not sure how, I think the holes were filled with plaster or something like that...)

-The frets show much wear (recrown probably?)

-Original case and candy

What do you guys think?

DON'T DO IT!

1) It has been modded and this will have decreased the value significantly.

If you were offered the original p/ups as well then it might have been a better deal as it cold be restored to 'stock'. But IMO still not worth it.

2) You wrote "The 335 is brand new, I just got it so it only got a couple of hours of playtime, but so far I'm really enjoying it and was going to keep it, and the sound is amazing."

Because you are so happy with it you must not sell or trade it. You will not get any better feeling or result from the one on offer - and it seems to me that whoever is offering is trying to trade up.

3) PLEASE don't do this.

Best wishes!

I have the same R8 and a couple of 335s myself. I'd keep my 335s even if no mods were on the R8. Since the mods are there, it's no contest. You kind of sound like you would like to have the R8 though. Your decision, but that 335 sure looks nice to me and would be my preference no matter what. Good luck.

Archived