Gibson Brands Forums

What chord is this ?

hu3436

Obviously it's part of the 'inside' of an A major barre chord.

If you play the open A (5th) string as the root and include the open high B and E strings....I would call that A (major) add 9, due to the open B string and the fact you have the C# (3rd note of A Maj scale) giving it the major tonality.

I love chords.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

If you play the open A (5th) string as the root and include the open high B and E strings....I would call that A (major) add 9, due to the open B string and the fact you have the C# (3rd note of A Maj scale) giving it the major tonality.

I love chords.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

[thumbup]

Hey guy and gals,

If you look up "Jguitar chord namer " you pick where ur fingers go and it will give you the names of all the chords it is called. Some will blow your mind. I'm not affiliated with them whatsoever. Another guitar player turned me on to it. It's free !

thats great I've bookmarked exactly what i need cheers !!

My understanding is that, technically, it takes at least three notes (a triad) to make a "chord." If the two notes are a part of a rootless triad, it could be a number of chords. I have always understood that playing two notes together, at the same time, is called a "double stop."

But, a C# is a major third interval from A.

Edit: it's late and I'm tired. Trying to see the fretboard in my head. A is a b6 (or b13) interval from C#.

If you understand chord theory and intervals, you don't need a chord encyclopedia to form any chord you want to play... and it is not really that complicated.

1479446056[/url]' post='1813029']

My understanding is that, technically, it takes at least three notes (a triad) to make a "chord." If the two notes are a part of a rootless triad, it could be a number of chords. I have always understood that playing two notes together, at the same time, is called a "double stop."

But, a C# is a major third interval from A. And A is a perfect fifth interval from C#; if you add the octave to C#, that forms a "power chord."

If you understand chord theory and intervals, you don't need a chord encyclopedia to form any chord you want to play... (AND ITS NOT REALLY THAT COMPLICATED.)

msp_confused.gif It's Not? msp_scared.gif

IMO, the first thing any musician should learn and hear is intervals and how (where) they are played on the instrument. It may seem daunting at first, but it is really the building block for all music. Initially, it is simple math and do-re-me. Music is as simple and as complicated as you make it.

jdgm, what is X X 5 7 7 5 please, and what single note options would be best for bassist to play against it?

Cheers.

If X X means the 2 lightest strings then this must be a minor chord with the root on the thickest string. So at the 5th fret you would have A (6th/E string), E (7th fret on 5th/A string), A again (7th fret on 4th/D string) and C at 5th fret G string, so it's an A minor. Root, fifth, root again, minor third.

If X X means the 2 heaviest strings you could interpret the shape as a Minor 11th chord with the low root omitted; or possibly a Major 9th chord with the root on the D string.

So if at the 5th and 7th frets you would have G, D, F# and A.

Put an E note beneath this lot (on 7th fret of A string) and you have Emin 11 which is an extended Minor 7th chord with the 9th and 11th of the scale added. Scale tones are minor 3, flat (or minor) 7, 9, 11.

If you call it from the G note you have a 4-note chord with (notes of the Major scale) 1, 5, 7, 9; notice there is no major 3rd (B in key of G) but as you have the major 7th, assume that the tonality would most likely be major.

Those are the most common possibilities; I hope I've got that right, Forum members (Notes, L5 Larry) please correct me if I'm wrong!

I'm sorry if this looks like gibberish to some; it takes a long time to work all this out, specifically on a guitar - very confusing at first, took me years to understand, but it is actually logical and fairly simple once you understand the conventions for building and naming chords from scale tones. Google for; chord construction - and you will find plenty of material.

As far as options for bass, start with 1,3, and 5 of the chord IMO but....it depends on the context. This stuff can be far harder for a bassplayer to get into.

Best wishes to all!

Thanks jdgm. (Obviously) I have limited knowledge on theory. Yes, the X's are the low E and the A.

I put this into an intro to a rock song I wrote in a sequence that went XX5775 X5775X 7997XX X7997X (so it was the first in the sequence) which was exactly the sound in my head - but really have struggled with the bass player as to what single long note he would play under it.

Apologies for the thread hijack to the OP.

But, a C# is a major third interval from A.

Edit: it's late and I'm tired. Trying to see the fretboard in my head. A is a b6 (or b13) interval from C#.

If you understand chord theory and intervals, you don't need a chord encyclopedia to form any chord you want to play... and it is not really that complicated.

Can it not be a 'Dyad' two note chord or is that only on piano ? Like E minor & some of the sus chords in A & D.

Thanks jdgm. (Obviously) I have limited knowledge on theory. Yes, the X's are the low E and the A.

I put this into an intro to a rock song I wrote in a sequence that went XX5775 X5775X 7997XX X7997X (so it was the first in the sequence) which was exactly the sound in my head - but really have struggled with the bass player as to what single long note he would play under it.

Apologies for the thread hijack to the OP.

Threads not hijacked mate good to see people helping each other i've already got my answer out of it so good thread [thumbup]

1st finger 3rd string 6th fret/ 2nd finger 4th string 7th fret don't play the E string, I'm guessing the root is the open a string anybody on here know ?

If I get it right, this chord is A2 - A3 - B3 - C#4 - E4. I would call it A major 9.

Hello.

Put the notes in ascending order, in a way all intervals are thirds.

What is the root? The lowest note.

How many different notes in the chord? If 3 it's a triad. 4 - it's seventh chord, and so on...

How should You call it? Inspect the intervals:

minor 3rd + major 3rd = minor triad.

minor 3rd + minor 3rd = diminished triad.

major 3rd + major 3rd = augmented triad.

major 3rd + minor 3rd = major triad.

and so on...

Bence

If I get it right, this chord is A2 - A3 - B3 - C#4 - E4. I would call it A major 9.

Ah, the "Amie" chord. This is the last chord to the Pure Prairie League song "Amie", and the first chord to the Youngbloods song "Get Together".

The chord produced by these notes (with the low open E or not) would most often be called "Aadd9" (as jdgm stated above), or in jazz notation might be called an "A9(no 7th)". Neither of these names tell you where or how to play it, and in the case of the "Amie chord" this is VERY important. In TAB the fingering would be shown (of course), and in standard music notation there would be mouse poop stacked on treble clef staff lines.

"maj9" would imply the inclusion of the "maj7" (sharp 7th) tone, which in the case of the key of "A" is a G#. The notes as listed in the OP does not contain the G#. The notes produced by the listed fingering, (Low-High) A®, C#(3rd), B(9th), E(5th). In this case, we have the standard R-3-5 "major" chord, with the 9th added.

Post #14

jdgm, what is X X 5 7 7 5 please, and what single note options would be best for bassist to play against it?

Cheers.

jdgm asked me to chime in on this one (I think) in post #15. He posts some good info there, but let me try to simplify this from an applied practicality standpoint.

I would simply call the chord as fingered in the quote above a "D/G". A "D" triad (D, F#, A) played over a lower "G".

Again, the name alone does not help with the voicing/fingering as shown. To write this (formal or informal) for someone else to play, you would have to include a chord fingering block, TAB diagram or note stack on staff.

As for a bass note under this chord, I would try "D" or "F#" and see which fits better in the progression.

One of my favourite chords is A2 - F#3 - G3 - D4 - E4 I first used in 1996 for an original power ballad of my band in Eminor. Basically comprising of the Gmajor/Eminor scale notes D-E-F#-G-A, it would have to be put into the order D - F# - A - [C] - E - G for naming it if I get it right. How would the correct denomination be, and how would it be named considering that A is the effective root note?

I love chords.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

Exactly

http://chordbook.com/guitar-chords/

Archived