Gibson Brands Forums

Fun challenge for the singers ?

EuroAussie

So, I was thinking that as something different how would the vocalists here feel about doing a song that is completely not associated with the genre they normally do ?

A song that for some reason you like, but its totally from across the other side of the river, like Buc doing Punk, or Anne doing Siouxie and the Banshees, Lars doing a happy song .... or me doing some whiny country number.

Dont mean in to be negative, but I do find the lack of diversity on this forum in terms of genres covered a bit of frustrating, we seem to be going around the same ol' genres over and over again.

Yes, we discussed the reasons why and I get and respect the reasons, they are valid and still a lot of great material coming out of the board that we enjoy hearing.

But for a bit of fun, what if you do something out of the ordinary, not expected and surprise the board .... or maybe even yourself ?

Just an idea, throw tomatoes if you think its a rubbish suggestion.

EA

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be a rather funny experiment.

Guess I should do robotto-tekno just repeating the rhyme fridge-fridge-fridge-fridge/ditch-ditch-ditch-ditch over 4 notes from start to end.

Or maybe join the punk thing with Buc. I'm sure that would be bad. Then again it's supposed to be bad so we would be bad by not being bad enough.

That would make us quite mad then turn the duo even badder - but in the wrong way.

Well, that's either quattro bad or not bad at all, , , , eeeeeh, think I'll pass.

Yet I'll give the thread a thought during certain X-mas carols. .

Here are a few suggestions.

EA: Tecumseh Valley by Townes van Zandt (as on "Live at the Old Quarter")

Buc: The Guns of Brixton by The Clash

Anne: Driver 8 by R.E.M.

...and as for myself...Friday I'm in Love by The Cure [biggrin]

I'm half joking, and half serious, by the way...

Lars

Youre one of the great talents here Em7, i definitely want to see something from you that will surprise the board, you dont post enough performances here.

Im not as sure what your 'preferred' genre is as you dont post much, but Im guessing its leaning in the folk direction.

So how about something a bit more driven, or maybe a classic number that we know you have in you but have not seen - Ramble on ?

Could be a rather funny experiment.

Guess I should do robotto-tekno just repeating the rhyme fridge-fridge-fridge-fridge/ditch-ditch-ditch-ditch over 4 notes from start to end.

Or maybe join the punk thing with Buc. I'm sure that would be bad. Then again it's supposed to be bad so we would be bad by not being bad enough.

That would make us quite mad then turn the duo even badder - but in the wrong way.

Well, that's either quattro bad or not bad at all, , , , eeeeeh, think I'll pass.

Yet I'll give the thread a thought during certain X-mas carols. .

Great choices Lars.

Id love to see you do Friday Im Love, its a totally anti Lars song as just too damn happy - do it !

Guns of Brixton, excellent suggestion for Buc. Has that strong bass line that Buc seems to favour in his songs, but still British and different enough to make it interesting.

Driver 8 for Anne - Im not sure if thats too close to some of the material Anne is doing right now,

And TWZ for me, had a feeling somebody would suggest this guy. I could have a crack at it, but dont you think it a bit boring this track ?

Here are a few suggestions.

EA: Tecumseh Valley by Townes van Zandt (as on "Live at the Old Quarter")

Buc: The Guns of Brixton by The Clash

Anne: Driver 8 by R.E.M.

...and as for myself...Friday I'm in Love by The Cure [biggrin]

I'm half joking, and half serious, by the way...

Lars

I dont own a cowboy hat, nor any boots

No excuse.

Id love to hear that golden voice of your on a different genre Keith. You have the gift of great pipes, lets see how you stretch them. Maybe a rock song, Queen perhaps or Radiohead .... given that you have shown us some nice range in your treat today.

Here you go!

Am I first? Why do I feel like there is a gang waiting to say 'hello' at the end of the alley?

Well, some Beauty and the Beast for ya - I had a go at Blondie's "Heart Of Glass"

And I tried the capo on all of 'em up to 11 1/2 and no help, so back to open. I got a great fade out!

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/glass777

BluesKing777.

Ima work on something from Saturday Night Fever.

:)

"How Deep is your Love" would suit your voice to a T. Or you could do "Stayin' Alive" while you strut down Wall Street. Actually lots of great music in that film, if you just ignore that it's disco.

Here you go!

Am I first? Why do I feel like there is a gang waiting to say 'hello' at the end of the alley?

Well, some Beauty and the Beast for ya - I had a go at Blondie's "Heart Of Glass"

And I tried the capo on all of 'em up to 11 1/2 and no help, so back to open. I got a great fade out!

BluesKing777.

You're the only guy I know who can make Blondie sound like the blues.

Now that was fun BK, i was humming along and the foot was tapping. Thanks for participating !

I was actually thinking of suggesting a Velver Underground song as recall reading once that they had a rule when they started that they will never use anything from the blues scale or do blues style licks.

Good stuff ... [thumbup]

Here you go!

BluesKing777.

Youre one of the great talents here Em7, i definitely want to see something from you that will surprise the board, you dont post enough performances here.

Im not as sure what your 'preferred' genre is as you dont post much, but Im guessing its leaning in the folk direction.

So how about something a bit more driven, or maybe a classic number that we know you have in you but have not seen - Ramble on ?

Thanx for those kind words EA. Well, my taste is songs, , , mostly rock-folk, , , let's say beat-songs.

Might try to find some wilder stuff, but meanwhile I go in the opposite direction with a tune that belongs a few years ahead.

In that way I kind of answer the thread-theme and do something out of my normal realm : Simply by rehearsing some old age folksinging.

It was an experiment and the guys had never heard the thing before when it was presented back during that 2014 summer nite session.

I've known it for ages, but just learned it a few weeks before.

https://soundcloud.com/nitebeach/annie

The acoustic is the 1953 J-45.

Thanx for those kind words EA. Well, my taste is songs, , , mostly rock-folk, , , let's say beat-songs.

Might try to find some wilder stuff, but meanwhile I go in the opposite direction with a tune that belongs a few years ahead.

In that way I kind of answer the thread-theme and do something out of my normal realm : Simply by rehearsing some old age folksinging.

It was an experiment and the guys had never heard the thing before when it was presented back during that 2014 summer nite session.

I've known it for ages, but just learned it a few weeks before.

https://soundcloud.com/nitebeach/annie

The acoustic is the 1953 J-45.

What do you have that J-45 tuned to?

Archived