Gibson Brands Forums

Fun challenge for the singers ?

EuroAussie

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the contributions folks, Ill try to have a crack over weekend at the whiny country numbers ... .keep em coming folks !

Would love to hear Buc do Ramones or Guns of Brixton, BBG somethign wild and drunk, Lars showing us how Friday hes in Love and Sal, Rambler and others...... and hell, even Hogeye, come and have a crack !

Not all of country is whiny EA

EA

As I'm no stranger to embarassements, I will take you up on Friday I'm in Love (which was kind of a joke when I first suggested it. First happy song I could think of). However, although it is Friday today, I will need some more time. I'm not that familiar with the song, but I just checked the chords, and I think I can play it ok. Singing...well, we'll see...

It's waaaaaay out of my comfort zone, but if I want to learn how to do this, I guess that's where I need to be [biggrin]

I've got some family and work commitments coming up, but I will have a song posted eventually.

Lars

Try

, Mark. Hard drinkin' song with trouble on the horizon...........

Ok, there you go. Had a crack at it. Hogeye will have a field day Im sure.

Only had 30 mins to get my head around the track, so this is the best i could muster in that hour or so.

Even if i butchered the song at least I could look the part in cowboy gear and a Southern Jumbo .... :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJPpWoeJBIM&feature=youtu.be

Love the hat, EA. Got the boots and spurs on too? I really like that song, I've never heard it before. You rode that horse hard, and it appeared like you enjoyed the ride. Well done and very cool!

I had about an hour and a half of unexpected free time today. So, I put my smudgy red lipstick on and ventured dangerously deep into the unknown...into the frightening territory of happy music. A land so very new to me and so full of...ehhh...smiles [biggrin]

This is what I came home with.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/friday-im-in-love

I cut the song down some and left a few verses out. I didn't want to risk the happiness sticking [biggrin] Seriously though, I found it more suited as an acoustic song when shorter. It became a little too repetetive otherwise. My version is kind of sloppy, but I enjoyed the effort.

Lars

Love the hat, EA. Got the boots and spurs on too? I really like that song, I've never heard it before. You rode that horse hard, and it appeared like you enjoyed the ride. Well done and very cool!

I had about an hour and a half of unexpected free time today. So, I put my smudgy red lipstick on and ventured dangerously deep into the unknown...into the frightening territory of happy music. A land so very new to me and so full of...ehhh...smiles [biggrin]

This is what I came home with.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/friday-im-in-love

I cut the song down some and left a few verses out. I didn't want to risk the happiness sticking [biggrin] Seriously though, I found it more suited as an acoustic song when shorter. It became a little too repetetive otherwise. My version is kind of sloppy, but I enjoyed the effort.

Lars

Nice one Lars, really glad to hear you do a fun pop song. I reckon it would be great to hear more such songs from you, especially ones that other know too, as then there is a clear referance point for giving you feedback on the performance. Glad you were able to find a spare hour and thanks for sharing !

Today is Sunday .... what a great opportunity to find an hour to contribute to the thread for those that are still curious but too busy with life during thew week.

Nice one Lars, really glad to hear you do a fun pop song. I reckon it would be great to hear more such songs from you, especially ones that other know too, as then there is a clear referance point for giving you feedback on the performance. Glad you were able to find a spare hour and thanks for sharing !

I enjoyed it, EA, and hope some more people join in soon. I would never have thought a while back that I would be posting songs by The Smiths and The Cure here on the Gibson acoustic forum. Diversity in musical genres is good. However, my songs seem to continue to fall short of passable quality, but doing new stuff is good for me and my chances for developing. I just wish I had more time to practice, but I hope Robert Smith didn't mind too much...

Now back to the sad, depressing stuff...home sweet home [biggrin]

Lars

By the way, kind of funny that the "happy song" I picked was from a band known for their sometimes devestatingly sad stuff. Go figure...

By the way, kind of funny that the "happy song" I picked was from a band known for their sometimes devestatingly sad stuff. Go figure...

This is exactly the reason why they were able to be successful over a long period and connect with a wide audience. They were able to get away with combining goth, dark numbers with ridiculously poppy songs and miraculously pull it off. Its what made them appealing to so many rather than be a niche goth band like Sisters of Mercy and other bands of the era.

I saw them a month ago here in prague, and they were senational and seamlessly blended the dark and light into one staggering performance. Did you get a chance to see them when they toured Scandinvavia on the same recent tour Lars ?

Guys... I'm sorry. I didn't read through the whole thread... I did read through, but I had not listened to all the music... I'll get to it.

I did listen to Annie, by Em7. I am floored by it's beauty. He sure does seem to have a knack for marrying keys and strings. I'll get to the others... enjoying my boys at home while they are still here.

I saw them a month ago here in prague, and they were senational and seamlessly blended the dark and light into one staggering performance. Did you get a chance to see them when they toured Scandinvavia on the same recent tour Lars ?

No, I didn't go. It would have been an eight hour round trip, and with family and work, it just didn't fit. The Cure is a band I would like to see, though.

Lars

No, I didn't go. It would have been an eight hour round trip, and with family and work, it just didn't fit. The Cure is a band I would like to see, though.

Lars

Its a pity, it was a great, great show ... do you live in the North or the South ? I didnt tell you but i spend 3 months in stockholm in summer of 99' painting your roof tops and getting drunk on the Viking line on way to Turku.

And ... youve given me inspiration to do Friday Im in Love at my gigs. Its a huge crowd favourite and i normally play friday nites, so its a perfect fit. Found this gorgeous acoustic version that ill use as a referance .So thanks for the idea Lars !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdYwrFRxKH0

'Tis discomforting to wander outside the comfort zone, n'est pas?

(working on Creep) :unsure:

Oooh, this will be a treat. I manged to destroy your suggestion, im sure you will do better with stuff that we normally do in our set ... like Creep. [thumbup]

My listening to the music on this thread is trickling in...

Fretplay - nice brother! But I think you need to own it. You are holding back :) Channel Mick!

Anne - loved the harmony with your daughter indeed.

FB - You owned it for sure! CraZY! Ha good stuff. Fun thread.

Still havent gotten around to Sweden and Prague.

My listening to the music on this thread is trickling in...

Fretplay - nice brother! But I think you need to own it. You are holding back :) Channel Mick!

Anne - loved the harmony with your daughter indeed.

FB - You owned it for sure! CraZY! Ha good stuff. Fun thread.

Still havent gotten around to Sweden and Prague.

Thanks Sal, this song is certainly owned by Mick Jagger and whilst I have some things in common with him, meeting a gin socked bar room queen in Memphis isn't one of them!

O.M.G. There are reasons I choose to play the tunes I do.........they work for me......mostly. This is not my kind of tune, obviously, but I suppose that was the point of the thread. I'm tired of trying to do anything much with it, so here ya go............dropped an octave just for something different. That is what you wanted, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaqbRWUM2A

And well done ... that was the Buc Sinatra version of Creep. You did it well and you did the track justice, now that was fun wasnt it ? [cool]

O.M.G. There are reasons I choose to play the tunes I do.........they work for me......mostly. This is not my kind of tune, obviously, but I suppose that was the point of the thread. I'm tired of trying to do anything much with it, so here ya go............dropped an octave just for something different. That is what you wanted, yes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJaqbRWUM2A

Archived