Gibson Brands Forums

Mary Halvorson

C-RAM

I've been down this road before, and I'm puttin' on the brakes, pulling a U-turn and getting out of Dodge.

As is the case with Henry Kaiser, there are some people who do things with a guitar I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND. No longer will I try to rationalize this or be sympathetic to areas outside my personal comfort zone, it just makes my head hurt.

I first heard Mary when she played a Tiny Desk Concert on NPR with a small band she put together (I usually enjoy these, they're an opportunity to hear an artist up close in a bare bones setting) - intrigued (or maybe baffled), I sought out some more of her, er, 'offerings' to see if I was missing something...

I was. Whatever she's throwing, I'm missing. [huh] YMMV.

I DO dig her Guild Artist Award, though.

Art snobs eat this garbage up.

I certainly have no desire to ever seek her out or anything like it, but she must have some sort of fan base so...good for her. I hope she continues to do well doing whatever it is she does. [unsure]

'Comments are disabled for this video'

Well, of all the places in Baltimore to play, The Ottobar is probably the most appropriate venue for her.

It reminds me of one of those "shreds" videos that got big a few years ago on Youtube. But this is not an intentionally bad overdub.

thiscstuff gives improvisation a bad name, I'm trying to determine if she is playing the audience for fools, or of she really thinks this crap is music.Richard Brautigan wrote the definition of a great salesman,

"He could sell a rats a$ hole to a blind man for a wedding ring"

Maybe she's selling the same to the deaf!

After reading all the comments I really wanted to like her.

I listened. I gave it a chance. Being a fan of Zappa and stuff like Primus, Beefheart and Waits, I'm pretty open and welcome to unpredictability in music. I like music that challenges my brain and throws stuff at me I don't expect. But to be brutally honest. I do expect musicianship.

She wasn't that great and she's really kinda sloppy. Weird good. Weird and sloppy bad.

Maybe if she could articulate her notes and chords better I would like it. It has potential.

But damn. It's just plain sloppy.

Archived