Gibson Brands Forums

In praise of the mighty J-45

peiplayer

My J45 mahogany does it all…great loud sound, great looks, easy on the fingers, comfortable, I feel good just playing it, but…..she’s temperamental. Sounds a little different everytime I play it….small buzzes and other little oddities seem to come and go without me really knowing why, sometimes mellow and soft sounding, sometimes harsh and loud…… sometimes hard to tune though it seems to hold the tune for a long time. Pretty much any string can be used, lights, mediums, flatwounds, coated or uncoated, same great sound……..great for any playing style, I wish I could get access to a large collection….different woods, models, ages, so that I could check ‘em all out!

I love mine. It's an '03 and is showing it's age. It's lost some nitro where my thumb sits, and has a few bonks, binks, and boners. (sorry Gilliangirl)

He, heeee.

Mine's a RW with ebony board and bridge, and it tunes itself. Sometimes it's correct. Sometimes it's not.

It hardley ever leaves the house, I've been playing lead with electrics for the last few years, but it's played daily, and is part of the family.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I love mine. It's an '03 and is showing it's age. It's lost some nitro where my thumb sits' date=' and has a few bonks, binks, and boners. (sorry Gilliangirl)

He, heeee.

Mine's a RW with ebony board and bridge, and it tunes itself. Sometimes it's correct. Sometimes it's not.

It hardley ever leaves the house, I've been playing lead with electrics for the last few years, but it's played daily, and is part of the family.

Best of luck.

Murph.[/quote']

ROFL! We don't want to hear about that, Murph! :-)

I have a Bozeman made J-50 which is stunning visually and works great as an all-round guitar. It was a few years old when I got it but hadn't been played at all. I haven't played it that much myself so it's in mint condition. The tone on the mid's is already exceptional on this instrument. I prefer a smaller guitar but I simply can't bring myself to sell this J-50. These mahogany, round-shouldered dreds are a very nice configuration.

I picked up my 1st J-45 a few months ago and I love this Rosewood version. Very versatile Guitar! I like this Guitar more than most I have owned in the past 35 years of playing - and I've been through a good number of Guitars. Highly recommend a J-45 Rosewood.

Does a Southern Jumbo count? I love mine. Is there any difference apart from the appointments?

IMO, sure why not.

When I think J45, the first thing that comes to mind is the tone from a mahogany/spruce, short-scale, slope-shouldered dread from Gibson. In which case the 'hog SJ and the J50 would also fit. Other guitars from Gibson use different tonewoods, scale lengths, and body shapes - and while they all have the Gibson tone to some degree, only guitars in the first category have the vibe that I associate with the thought of a J45.

All the best,

Guth

Archived