Gibson Brands Forums

LG1 Reprise

fortyearspickn

Last night I babysat my 5 y/o granddaughter. Not inclined to try to figure out how to watch something on the 'Entertainment System' - I dug the old 1964 LG1 I gave my son 6 or7 years ago - out of the closet.

This had been my one and only guitar for approximately Forty Years . I gave it to him, in hopes of renewing a year + interest he had had in guitars10 years earlier. No lessons or anything - on a lower end one before it was stolen (along with my banjo) when someone broke into our house.

Anyway - I had cleaned it up, put new strings on it but kept them only moderately taut when I gave it to him in the original brown fake gator cardboard case.. It's been untouched as far as I know. So, while it was not a 'time capsule' - I pulled it from - it was still virtually the same guitar I gave him.

I tuned it up - a full step down in D - and started to play. I could not believe how great it felt and sounded! Sitting on the couch - it fits much better than an SJ200 - and fingerpicking, it was very, very different than what my ears have grown accustomed to. It was sweet, quieter, mellow, personal and rich - just absolutely fantastic. I don't know how much is due to the configuration of the guitar, my aural imprint from playing it for decades - OR, related, the fine aging that occurred bringing it to a level impossible to attain otherwise.

Now - I have a serious case of 'Gifters Remorse" and a case of gas that I'm worried about. I'm not sure - if I'd picked this guy up in a store, if I'd be quite as tempted - but I know I would have been bowled over.

Any of you ever had a chance to re-visit a guitar you sold or gave away and found you really missed the sound?

Heck, if he's not playing the thing I'd bet he'd re-gift it back to you with little more than a nudge. And if subtle hinting doesn't get it done, I'm sure he'd respect ol' dad repossessing a treasured item from his past. Just take it! [thumbup]

Heck, if he's not playing the thing I'd bet he'd re-gift it back to you with little more than a nudge. And if subtle hinting doesn't get it done, I'm sure he'd respect ol' dad repossessing a treasured item from his past. Just take it! [thumbup]

I agree!

My '64 LG-1 has the same effect on me. Every time. Maybe because I've played it since I was 7, but I dunno. It is the most satisfying couch guitar; like a favorite blankie or well-worn lovey, it snuggles you back.

Every time...

1488640148[/url]' post='1839181']

We do not babysit our grand children. We spend quality time with them.

Yep. Us too.

"Babysit' was shorthand. We had her for nearly 6 hours: supper, playtime, bedtime read a story. Then, after she was asleep, I pulled out the guitar.

A number of my purchases in the last ten years have been made, to some extent, in an effort to revisit guitars I had & enjoyed in the seventies. Never have come across the opportunity to once again hold one I'd let go of. Might be difficult to get the imprint of that out of your mind since it's right there at your son's house!

Talk to him about it, and ask if he'd be okay if you bought him a new replacement. Then buy him something like the Epi EL-00 Pro, which is inexpensive but can be very good if you locate a nice one.

I kind of went through something similar with my daughter. When she was little, she liked a '70 Martin 00-18 that I had. After twenty years of playing, I traded it off, but felt a little twinge of guilt that I hadn't saved it for her. So I bought a new replacement Martin for her, which now resides rather permanently under the bed in her guest bedroom!

When I visited my Mom in Florida a number of years ago, I was going to bring a guitar. However, she said her neighbor had one that I could borrow. I thought yeah, yeah, sure, sure, imagining what kind of cardboard box the neighbor might have. Low and behold, it was a 1956 LG1 and it was a beauty! They might not have been the top of the line guitars for Gibson, but wow, what a great sounding guitar. I can hear in my mind your old treasure.

The guitar should be played. Let your son know it is still his guitar, but you will keep it happy by playing it regularly at your house. If he wants it back TO PLAY, return it to him! Fair's fair!

1488641191[/url]' post='1839182']

My '64 LG-1 has the same effect on me. Every time. Maybe because I've played it since I was 7, but I dunno. It is the most satisfying couch guitar; like a favorite blankie or well-worn lovey, it snuggles you back.

Every time...

Good description. It is like coming home again. It just calls to mind dozens of songs that are aching to be played on it.

My '65 LG-1 definitely improved with age. Used to be a so so guitar and then about 5 years ago it way opened up out of the blue and is now a great guitar. Took long enough, but what a difference it's volume and tone now has from previously...even though it's ladder braced. Plus, it used to be a real stiff guitar to play, while now it's a real loose feeling guitar to play.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Yeah, I saw one for sale for $1600. The prices continue to climb. I guess, it's like when you run into an old girlfriend, sometimes you say "yep, I'm glad I dumped her." And sometimes you say "Wow! She's gotten even hotter! What was I thinking? ". An added concern I have, my son wants me to start giving the rambunctious 5 y/o ukulele "lessons". I'm afraid that at some point in a year or three, she may decide to take the LG1 out in the backyard to play with. And leave it there for a few days. Or decide to clean it up with soap and water. I guess it's like selling your house - if the new owners want to paint it orange with pink trim. You just have to move on. I may buy him a locking case for his birthday.

I may buy him a locking case for his birthday.

Buy him a decent cheaper guitar like an Epiphone, and bring your LG-1 back home where it belongs. There are too many stories of nice musical instruments being trashed by rambunctious kids.

....I may buy him a locking case for his birthday.

Of course, it's a personal thing.... Personally, I'd note he hasn't been playing it and say you're going to borrow it for a while. He can have it back whenever he wants. I mean, if he hasn't been playing it! Sounds like he's not that interested, will probably forget about it, and the angelic grandchild will be unable to be devilish, at least with regard to the LG1..... msp_smile.gif

My wife has a Larivee parlor guitar she got in the mid-1990's. Her daughter thought she wanted to play guitar so my wife gave it to her to learn on. It went untouched for several years and finally when helping her move she asked for it back and her daughter saw that it was best since it was not getting played and the strings needed changing from years of neglect. You know your son. Ask him if he is honestly going to play the guitar. Let it be his idea to release it back. Or as my kids do, ask to borrow it and never take it back.

Thank you all for your input.

I will move in that direction.

It would create a family feud if my old friend got damaged.

That tells you that the old friend needs to come back home until the day when and if the young one shows a real interest in the guitar, and a level of responsibility that would justify passing it on.

I have a teenaged great nephew who plays electric guitar, and for a while I was thinking of giving him one of my ES 335's as a high school graduation present. Instead, I ended up giving him a chunk of money, which he ended up spending on a Fender American Strat.

Worked out best for all concerned. He got the guitar he really wanted, and didn't have to live out my 50 year old rock and roll dreams, and I don't have to worry about a cherished but unplayed instrument of mine ending up smashed to pieces during a pass-around at a college frat party.

Happiness all around.

Thank you all for your input.

I will move in that direction.

It would create a family feud if my old friend got damaged.

You're fortunate to be able to get it back. Usually when they're gone, they're...well, you know.

I have learned to LOVE the sound of LG-1s, even though I haven't owned one in more than 20 years. As I have been listening to music my best friend and I recorded 30-35 years ago, I have found a new respect for his early 50s LG-1 as a finger-picking machine and as an acoustic lead guitar. All of the classical Gibson archtop-inspired chunk is there, the mid-range punch is there, and it just plain works. I may have to start keeping an eye peeled for one now ...

Archived