Gibson Brands Forums

Why Gibson - Continued

Fred_Engr

Hi

Being a virgin Gibson owner, guitar not me, would like to share my thoughts on why a Gibson. To me a Gibson is like a Harley, unique full sound, visual charisma and history, similar to when you drive down the road on a Harley your noticed.

I live in a small community where the closest store selling Gibson's is an hour away and what they sell is limited to 2-3 guitars. So trying out different models of Gibson's is not going to happen. I ordered my guitar off of Ebay and was quite nervous on what condition it would be in and as importantly, what was the sound going to be like? Like a father awaiting my first child, I waited impatiently for 6 days, thankfully not 9 months, and certainly was pleased with the condition and sound.

I have waited 30 years to finally own a Gibson and my only disappointment is not having one sooner!

P.S. The headstock humidifier is courtesy of Taylor Player's idea.

Obligatory Pictures

IMGP0324.jpg

IMGP0375.jpg

What was the first song you played?

Excellent question!! :-D LOL

Hey! Another Can-eh-dian! Welcome to the forum!

Niiiiiiiiice guitar, congratulations. I think I'd be too chicken to buy a guitar on eBay but so glad to hear your transaction went well.

That is a beauty.

Gibsons have the "thing". I don't know how to explain it except it's everything.

I played a Tele for a few years with a country band, and the minute things changed, was eager to buy a new ES-339 (he, hee) and retire the Tele.

My 1933 A-00 Mandolin is a freakin' cannon. Even has binding around the oval hole.

Best of luck.

Murph.

A Gibson Montana in Saint John is $4700 CAD + tax. I wish I could have got it for $650 USD' date=' but @ $2800 USD I thought was a good price considering from most music stores is $4,000 USD.[/quote']

You did good=d> !!

Congrats on a wonderful guitar, & welcome to the forum.

P.S. The headstock humidifier is courtesy of Taylor Player's idea.

No royalties necessary! Man what a beauty!!!

As for why Gibson and waiting 30 years... don't worry' date=' Gibson's come with Mojo already!!!

Here is a better photo of my patented, highly expensive (and by expensive, I mean really cheap!) humidifiers...

Depending on how dry it is, you may want a few larger holes in the top.... (I tend to keep two in each case along with a soundhole humdifier or a couple dampits too.

[img']http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/lofapco/PICT4570.jpg[/img]

PICT4567.jpg

Thought your idea for the "patented, highly expensive (and by expensive, I mean really cheap!) humidifiers" was great and very practical.

Living along the Fundy coast, I am told, is the worst place for guitars due to climate, plus having a wood stove tends to be nice and warm but plays havoc with wood. For 10 years had a Yahama LL400 left out of the case with no humidity control, needless to say required re-gluing of loose bracing and love and care. My two guitars are only removed from their cases when playing now and always have humidification.

Currently, using an Oasis Plus in the hole humidifier due to experience with another type that put droplets of water in the guitar, guess I may have over filled it. Also have the patented "NonameSpongeoCheapoHumidifier".

Find that this forum is great for information and ideas, so I hope that people continue to share their ideas and experiences.

Archived