Gibson Brands Forums

The Enemy

deepblue

Hey guys sorry to be a lil off topic but theres a spainsh speaking dude in the SG fourms any of u guys that speak spainsh think u can help him?

Jesus, make a new topic

or better yet, just leave....

As for Ed Roman, I called once about a EVH replica, he sounded drunk out of his mind at 2 in the afternoon. He might have just been tired, but he was slurring the hell out of his words, and the guitar was six grand.

Haven't dealt with him since...

I'm sure Ed Roman has his faults and flaws. Maybe he's an alcoholic. Maybe he's a junkie. Maybe he gives abortions to schoolgirls in the alley behind his store. Maybe his prices are high. Maybe he's an @sshole, but Gibsons are outrageously overpriced and the fact is that there simply are legitimate horror stories out there concerning quality control. My first guitar was a Yamaha strat copy that I still play -- it is totally bulletproof, rugged as an I-beam, and an elegant player. I can't say that about ANY of my Gibsons. Not a single one. Less-than-solid glued neck joints? For the money, they should be neck-through. Fragile green-key tuners? Can't seem to get nooks and crannies finished in the NC? Cheap chrome plating? Cheaper gold plating? SAWDUST in control cavities and inside hollowbodies????? Sh!t like this is the enemy, not Ed Roman.

I love my Gibsons but the Gibson Corporation is not making the best quality stuff out there. They're just not. Not even by a longshot. I love mine and hope I never have to sell a single one, but apart from a used white es 175 I'm carrying a torch for (one day when I can afford it), my Gibson buying days are over. I'm probably with H-bomb, I deeply appreciate some of their guitars from the past but current output is not up to spec. NOBODY should have to send back a brand new guitar, but in here I read about it all the time... for the high prices they charge, Gibson shouldn't allow "blems" and rejects to make it out of the factory, in addition to some parts being cheap and inferior engineering (neck joints).

He goes on and on about Gibsons breaking off at the headstock.

Heres an idea...

DONT DROP IT!

Anything will break or damage if you drop it no matter how well its made.

Take a $20,000 Rolex watch....drop it...Itll have a nice ding or a broken crystal when you pick it up.

Nothing survives a drop without some kind of damage.

He blames it on Gibsons 17 degree angle.....well its there for a reason.

He sounds like an a-hole to me.

Anything will break or damage if you drop it no matter how well its made.

He sounds like an a-hole to me.

...But a Fender won't break like a Gibson will if you drop it from playing height. Oh I'm sure Roman's an @sshole. I kinda hope I never meet him ... he seems like a sleazy used-car salesman or something. But he's dead right about the structural weakness around the nut of most Gibsons. Gibsons are probably among the most fragile, structurally weak guitars on earth because of the neck/body joint and headstock/nut area. Gibson's glued, set neck joint must be a holdover from when they only made flat-tops and archtops. It impedes high fret access big time. Schecter has a set-neck design too, but it's scalloped way deep so you can get way up in there really easy. They've been doing it for a few years now, and Gibson only last year comes out with the Axcess LP? Gibson Inc. has always been old-fashioned and their designs totally reflect this -- christ, Gretsch had chambered Jets over 50 years ago and NOW Gibson "innovates" the LP?

I've dropped and knocked over my el cheapo Yamaha strat more times than I can remember & once threw a teenage temper tantrum where I swung it through a sheetrock wall, flat-side like a fly swatter. But you know what? It's never needed any repairs from drops, knockdowns, or throws... and I promise you there have been many. It does have some scratches but nothing dramatic, it doesn't look particularly "beat up."

I bought a Quicksilver from him. Was actually a really good guitar. Needed the dough so it had to go otherwise I would still have it. He was great to me, I had no problems at all but I can see where he can be a real jackass. I wouldn't mind owning another Quicksilver some day. Here's a couple of pic's of the one I let go -

DSCN1346.jpg

DSCN1352.jpg

DSCN1338.jpg

Gibson is to cheap 'off brand' guitar as California coastal cuisine, ocean front dining, fresh seafood is to McDonald's. Yeah the McDonald's will fill you up, but it wont compare to the fine dining experience and culinary ecstasy.

Gibson is to cheap 'off brand' guitar as California coastal cuisine, ocean front dining, fresh seafood is to McDonald's. Yeah the McDonald's will fill you up, but it wont compare to the fine dining experience and culinary ecstasy.

+1 ..... Well said. =D>

I don't understand the original post. What's the problem?

I didn't see a problem with the original post either, but if you go to the guys web site and read you will find plenty of anti-Gibson stuff. He says all kinds of mean stuff. If truth be known he probably wanted to be a dealer many years ago and Gibson wouldn't let him due to proximity of other dealers in the area or because he's a ****.

He's just a strong personality among many others.

He's like Kinman in the way his tunnel-vision sooner or later turns into one product that cures every known guitar illness under the sun.

He's also one incredible entreprenuer, his web page is all-inclusive, there's almost nothing that he doesn't sell.

If I manage to ever find one of his guitars, it gets the same test every other guitar gets in my hands.

I'm sure Ed Roman has his faults and flaws. Maybe he's an alcoholic. Maybe he's a junkie. Maybe he gives abortions to schoolgirls in the alley behind his store. Maybe his prices are high. Maybe he's an @sshole' date=' but Gibsons are [u']outrageously[/u] overpriced and the fact is that there simply are legitimate horror stories out there concerning quality control. My first guitar was a Yamaha strat copy that I still play -- it is totally bulletproof, rugged as an I-beam, and an elegant player. I can't say that about ANY of my Gibsons. Not a single one. Less-than-solid glued neck joints? For the money, they should be neck-through. Fragile green-key tuners? Can't seem to get nooks and crannies finished in the NC? Cheap chrome plating? Cheaper gold plating? SAWDUST in control cavities and inside hollowbodies????? Sh!t like this is the enemy, not Ed Roman.

I love my Gibsons but the Gibson Corporation is not making the best quality stuff out there. They're just not. Not even by a longshot. I love mine and hope I never have to sell a single one, but apart from a used white es 175 I'm carrying a torch for (one day when I can afford it), my Gibson buying days are over. I'm probably with H-bomb, I deeply appreciate some of their guitars from the past but current output is not up to spec. NOBODY should have to send back a brand new guitar, but in here I read about it all the time... for the high prices they charge, Gibson shouldn't allow "blems" and rejects to make it out of the factory, in addition to some parts being cheap and inferior engineering (neck joints).

Yeah. Roman seems like a d!ck and a half, but I do feel like far too many people defend Gibson just "because". As I had just written in another post elsewhere, there's the question of quality, and I'm sorry but nothing that I've seen "new" from Gibson at Guitar Center for the past 4 years has really been anything to brag about in that department. You have to hold the "name" to some level of standard. Defending Gibson just because "it's a Gibson" is foolish, and is the same mentality that made the USA fall behind in the automobile industry. "Made in USA" and "made by Gibson" should evoke pride in owners and fear in the competition. It hasn't for a while. I'd like to see that happen again though.

Tell Roman you think he's a codpiece, but tell Gibson you deserve a little more for your hard-earned dollar! :-k

H-Bomb

Archived