Gibson Brands Forums

New nectar machine in the roost...'90 Bird

Jinder

Hi all,

As promised in the Hummingbird thread, here is my 1990 Bird. Early Bozeman, Fullerplast finish, lightly built and sounds INCREDIBLE. Rich, warm and articulate, with amazing overtones and very complex and beautiful midrange. It sound ornate and oddly melancholy when fingerpicked, and full and beautiful when strummed or flatpicked. It has SO much thump, the type you can feel as well as hear.

I really wasn't in a position to go guitar shopping, but around the time my appetite was whetted for another Bird by the chat about them here, I stopped working with the band I was playing electric for, so I found myself with a lot of tradeable electric gear, which went towards this beauty...

1SECF96.jpg

TvZ1zFV.jpg

That one of Glenn's guitars ?

His trademark black background snapshots

Nice jinder

Can't wait for you and Aussie trying to out metaphor each other

And ya know , we ALL want a video or sound clip

Play in good health big fella

Thanks BBG! Yep indeed, Glenn has been my go-to guy for ten years now whenever I'm after a guitar, absolutely unbeatable guitar buying experience. When I picked up the Bird, I spent several hours playing various beautiful guitars, drinking tea and chatting, no hurry or pressure, just good company, stunning instruments and a great deal!

Thanks BBG! Yep indeed, Glenn has been my go-to guy for ten years now whenever I'm after a guitar, absolutely unbeatable guitar buying experience. When I picked up the Bird, I spent several hours playing various beautiful guitars, drinking tea and chatting, no hurry or pressure, just good company, stunning instruments and a great deal!

Have heard nothing but good about the guy

Regularly drool over his site

To the 'Bird in question: congrats, Jinder. One good thing about the Hummingbird 'guard; for long-distance buyers, it's easy to see that the guitar has already been played in, and just might sound good. But the little birdie always seems to first lose it's head.

The "Tone, Feel, Appearance" case with the deep purple lining? Very cool.

May you come up with some tone adjectives that even EA hasn't thought of. Yet.

Enjoy.

Thanks all!!

She's in beautiful shape, has been well played but clearly looked after and not abused. Some pickguard wear but otherwise in wonderful shape for a 27yr old guitar.

She also has a brand new bone nut and saddle, has had a full setup, fret dress and plays like absolute butter.

She's definitely going to get a pickup, all my guitars are ready to do live battle and she already has a drilled endpin as the previous owner used an M1A in her. Can't wait to take her out!!

The "Tone, Feel, Appearance" case with the deep purple lining? Very cool.

Oddly enough, this case predates the TFA cases and is unlike any Gibson case I've seen...it's covered in rough tan Tolex, has that gorgeous purple lining (and an odd wedge of polystyrene, covered in the purple lining, which is in the cavity where the headstock rests, and the headstock rests against it when the guitar is in the case) and has a gold logo that states "Gibson, Bozeman Montana, Fine Acousfic Guitars"

I've never seen a similar one, as I said...I'll post a pic when I'm next home.

I like the natural color top myself. I found a 2016 limited with the natural top in Canada, but was to big of a hassle to get it ship to the US. It had Rosewood back and sides was the issue I guess.

Oddly enough, this case predates the TFA cases and is unlike any Gibson case I've seen...it's covered in rough tan Tolex, has that gorgeous purple lining (and an odd wedge of polystyrene, covered in the purple lining, which is in the cavity where the headstock rests, and the headstock rests against it when the guitar is in the case) and has a gold logo that states "Gibson, Bozeman Montana, Fine Acousfic Guitars"

I've never seen a similar one, as I said...I'll post a pic when I'm next home.

The '96 J-100xtra I owned came with the exact same case (except of course to fit a jumbo). Headstock filler pad & all, including the same outer logo.

And btw, congrats on a beauty. I especially like the forward location of the bridge pins, which creates a greater break angle on the strings, and a more a robust gluing surface between the pins & the southern end of the bridge. Wish they were all like that, even if not true to vintage specs.

Also, another thumbs up for that sweet natural finish!

The '96 J-100xtra I owned came with the exact same case (except of course to fit a jumbo). Headstock filler pad & all, including the same outer logo.

And btw, congrats on a beauty. I especially like the forward location of the bridge pins, which creates a greater break angle on the strings, and a more a robust gluing surface between the pins & the southern end of the bridge. Wish they were all like that, even if not true to vintage specs.

Also, another thumbs up for that sweet natural finish!

Thanks Bobouz! I'd love to track down matching cases for my Jumbos, they're nicer than the stock TKL cases that came with them.

I was thinking about the bridge myself, it does seem like a more sensible design than the current one. I'm guessing that the modern one is historically correct but the one on the '90s Bird makes a lot more sense to me. Certainly sounds terrific!

That's a good get Jinder. Good to see another hardy soul that isn't afraid of Fullerplast and the double dovetail.

I always take the liberty to add a couple MOP dots to the bridges on mine. It just looks right to my eye. I have one of those early, purple Bozeman cases as well.

That's a good get Jinder. Good to see another hardy soul that isn't afraid of Fullerplast and the double dovetail.

I always take the liberty to add a couple MOP dots to the bridges on mine. It just looks right to my eye. I have one of those early, purple Bozeman cases as well.

Thanks AP! I'm about to take her onstage for the first time at tonight's gig. The double dovetail didn't bother me as the neck angle is perfect, the top has no belly to speak of for a 27yr old guitar and the bridge has as much saddle showing as a new guitar. If it'd needed a reset I would have trodden carefully, but it's good to go for another 27yrs easily!

The Fullerplast didn't phase me at all either...I don't plan on any breakages, and a guitar has to be covered in something ☺️

Thanks all!!

She's in beautiful shape, has been well played but clearly looked after and not abused. Some pickguard wear but otherwise in wonderful shape for a 27yr old guitar.

She also has a brand new bone nut and saddle, has had a full setup, fret dress and plays like absolute butter.

She's definitely going to get a pickup, all my guitars are ready to do live battle and she already has a drilled endpin as the previous owner used an M1A in her. Can't wait to take her out!!

Theres something very elegant about a natural Hummingbird, I very much like it, just like I like the sunburst variety.

Jinder, what pickup are you going to put in her, and also, what strings do you run on her ?

I have a real challenge with my HBTV plugged in, as I find she only sounds really good with fresh strings, otherwise the low E goes spaghetti after one gig and and Im just not getting enough low end thump when playing solo.

I tried Elixirs but was not happy with the tone, but noticed it sounds good with worn Elixirs and a heavier pick, and still with that thump bottom end as the Elixirs dont lose that.

Theres something very elegant about a natural Hummingbird, I very much like it, just like I like the sunburst variety.

Jinder, what pickup are you going to put in her, and also, what strings do you run on her ?

I have a real challenge with my HBTV plugged in, as I find she only sounds really good with fresh strings, otherwise the low E goes spaghetti after one gig and and Im just not getting enough low end thump when playing solo.

I tried Elixirs but was not happy with the tone, but noticed it sounds good with worn Elixirs and a heavier pick, and still with that thump bottom end as the Elixirs dont lose that.

I like the natural look too, I can't stop getting mine out of the case to look at it!

On sat I put in my "mule" pickup which i keep around for quick installations,, a Mk1 Rare Earth, which i ran into my Aura 16. Sounded good but I have a Matrix Infinity on my desk which is about to go in and will sound a lot better with the Aura!

I'm going to put Martin 12-54 80/20s on it when I fit the pickups, at the moment it has some D'Addario PB 12s on it which it came with, but I'm not a big fan of them, the Martins just seem to have more of "everything" than the D'ads.

Archived