Gibson Brands Forums

Evertune Bridge Take It Or Leave It?

JayinLA

I see the value of the evertune, particularly for recording rhythm guitar, particularly in the metal genre. It's a cool concept and alot of builders are offering their 2018's with or without the evertune bridge. Surprising it took so long for someone to bring this idea to market.

"...A WHOLE NEW WAY OF APPROACHING THE ART AND SCIENCE OF KEEPING INSTRUMENTS IN TUNE AND INTONATED...

I haven't had a problem with the art or science of being in tune all over the neck since about 1973 or so.

I suggest anyone that is having such a problem that they need to invest in hardware to handle it should probably find another hobby.

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm not keen on the idea of having a spring loaded string. I find it tends to muddy the tone a little, same reason I don't have any guitars with tremelos.

OK I'll admit it. I put one (it was a free installment sale plus discount on the bridge) on a Warmoth strat. I had it tuned 1/2 step down so I could play it in the next Alzheimer's gig and the theory was to not have to tune between every song. It definitely keeps it in tune. Just don't play a solo that requires a bend. If I use it I will only play strictly rhythm (I won't be able to make it cry or sing).

They say on their site and in videos that you can solo and bend. I couldn't reliably bend past the point of correction so it won't be practical for me to try a solo.

There you have it. I personally wouldn't do it again.

Guest Farnsbarns

OK I'll admit it. I put one (it was a free installment sale plus discount on the bridge) on a Warmoth strat. I had it tuned 1/2 step down so I could play it in the next Alzheimer's gig and the theory was to not have to tune between every song. It definitely keeps it in tune. Just don't play a solo that requires a bend. If I use it I will only play strictly rhythm (I won't be able to make it cry or sing).

They say on their site and in videos that you can solo and bend. I couldn't reliably bend past the point of correction so it won't be practical for me to try a solo.

There you have it. I personally wouldn't do it again.

I watched a video about it. I'd never heard of it before this thread popped up. Anyway, in the video the guy explained that you should adjust it so that there is only a tiny bit of lash before it stops so you can bend. The idea being that a string doesn't generally go sharp as you play, and if it goes sharp between playing then you just tune to above the note and back down and it lands spot on.

Here...

http://youtube.com/Watch?v=oxAXneYBA68

If you still have it it might be worth another go.

The Floyd Rose revolutionized tremelos. Some folks love em, I used to love divebombing and playing with my tongue out. I don't have a guitar that's not a hard tail nowadays. But If I did want a trem system, I would go with a Floyd without even thinkin twice.

A bridge that can be tuned 2 ways, One so that you can bend and stay in tune, or keep the guitar in tune so that you cant even bend pitch is a novel idea. I have a feeling, It's gonna stick, like the Floyd. Now we essentially have 3 bridge choices. Trem, Hardtail, Or Evertune. Now if they can get an evertune with a trem, that will be a big deal.

I watched a video about it. I'd never heard of it before this thread popped up. Anyway, in the video the guy explained that you should adjust it so that there is only a tiny bit of lash before it stops so you can bend. The idea being that a string doesn't generally go sharp as you play, and if it goes sharp between playing then you just tune to above the note and back down and it lands spot on.

Here...

http://youtube.com/Watch?v=oxAXneYBA68

If you still have it it might be worth another go.

Thanks Farns. I still have it and I will do this although that sounds too hard for a Neanderthal like me. The staying in tune part is really cool. Did add some weight to the guitar too.

I have heard of the Evertune system for quite awhile, but have not yet played a guitar with one. I am also a member on the ESP forums and from the input on their site, the Evertune is quite popular with the people who own or have played one.

I thought it funny that he had it on a Tele. My Teles stay in tune for weeks. Sometimes I leave 'em in the car for a week between gigs... still in tune when they come out of the case. I had one fall off a wall hanger. Landed flat on its face. Picked it up - still in tune!

Might be useful on a guitar that has problems staying in tune... I'm lookin' at you Gibson g-string. But on a Tele it seems pointless.

It also sounded to me like the strings bent funny pitch wise in the demo. Maybe I should re-watch with headphones and listen more carefully, but it sounded like the pitch kept changing after his bends had reached the intended note. Anything that messes with my bending is immediately disqualified.

Love the idea of innovation in this business. [thumbup] Just don't think I am interested in that particular innovation.

The Floyd Rose revolutionized tremelos. Some folks love em, I used to love divebombing and playing with my tongue out. I don't have a guitar that's not a hard tail nowadays. But If I did want a trem system, I would go with a Floyd without even thinkin twice.

I've had 4, and still have one of them.

After I got the 1st, I tired of it after a few months & blocked up the trem cavity to disable it. I did the same to all the others as soon as I got them. I would like to try a multibender sometime though.

Archived